What have Ismail al-Jazari and Leonardo Da Vinci contributed to science and art?

• Thread starter cranksci
  • Start date
In summary, Ismail al-Jazari and Leonardo Da Vinci were both influential figures in the fields of science and art. Al-Jazari, a Muslim polymath, is known for his contributions to engineering and mechanics, particularly in the development of automata and water-powered devices. His work had a significant impact on the development of modern technology. Da Vinci, on the other hand, was a Renaissance artist and inventor who made groundbreaking discoveries in various fields, including anatomy, mathematics, and engineering. He is best known for his iconic paintings such as the Mona Lisa and The Last Supper, but his scientific and technical drawings also showcase his genius. Both al-Jazari and Da Vinci have left a lasting legacy in their respective fields and
cranksci
Let me start by saying that I have never pursued a doctoral degree in anything, but that has not prevented me from acquiring a substantial knowledge-base of the things that interest me the most, not to mention several college graduation diplomas along the way related to the physical sciences. Along with that, over time, has come some understanding of the natural dynamics of our physical reality. I believe that if a truth is being described, that it can be done so with words, or the math is wrong. If I had a hero who wasn't me he would probably be Ismail al-Jazari (1136–1206), who can make the claim about inventing just about everything, including the cam; the segmental gear; the crankshaft and crank-slider mechanism; and so on, or Leonardo Da Vinci, who is the 1490's version of him, and who invented the bicycle chain and the oil pastel. They were also both artists. I am also a musician/musical arranger & composer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

Back