What Happens When You Look Through Binoculars Backwards?

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnification of a pair of binoculars when looking through them the wrong way, using the formula for a pair of lenses combined. The focal length is needed to calculate the magnification, and the conversation suggests looking for a formula involving focal length only.
frederickcan

Homework Statement

A pair of binoculars has a magnification of 7X. What would be their magnification if you were to look through them the wrong way, that is, through one of their objective lenses instead of the eyepieces?

Homework Equations

focal length
f = -L/M

The magnification of the objective lens.
M=-s'/s ~~ -L/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused. I think I'm supposed to find the focal length first. Should I use the standard length of a microscope? (L=160mm)

This is what I attempted:
f= -160mm/-7 = 22.9 mm
M= -160 mm/22.9 mm = 6.99

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure I follow what you're doing. Are you aware that each eye is looking through two lenses in a pair of binoculars? You'll need to account for the focal lengths of the two lenses somehow.

I would expect there is a discussion of either binoculars, or equivalently of telescopes, in your textbook or lecture notes.

What is the formula for a pair of lens combined. There is one. Find it and all will be revealed.
(hint it involves focal length only).

Related to What Happens When You Look Through Binoculars Backwards?

1. What is the difference between magnification and resolution?

Magnification refers to the increase in size of an object when viewed through a magnifying lens or instrument. Resolution, on the other hand, refers to the ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. In simple terms, magnification makes an object appear larger, while resolution makes it appear clearer.

2. How does magnification affect the image quality?

Magnification alone does not affect the image quality. It simply increases the size of the image. However, higher magnification can make the image appear more pixelated or grainy due to limitations in the resolving power of the instrument. To maintain image quality, it is important to use appropriate magnification for the object being observed.

3. How do lenses and mirrors affect magnification?

Lenses and mirrors are both used to magnify objects, but they do so in different ways. Lenses use refraction to bend light and magnify the image, while mirrors use reflection. The shape and curvature of the lens or mirror can also affect the amount of magnification achieved.

4. Can magnification be unlimited?

No, magnification is limited by the resolving power of the instrument being used. Beyond a certain point, increasing magnification will not result in a clearer image, but rather a more distorted or blurry one. This limit is known as the resolving power limit.

5. How does optics play a role in magnification?

Optics, or the study of light and its behavior, is essential for understanding magnification. The properties of lenses and mirrors, such as their curvature and refractive index, determine the amount of magnification that can be achieved. Optics also helps us understand how light is manipulated and focused to create a magnified image.