What happens, when you are trying to magnetize some iron bar?

• Thread starter scientist91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary: Ferromagnetic materials like Iron are the opposite, they only start to respond to a magnetic field when they reach a certain temperature called the Curie Point.Ferromagnetic materials can be demagnetized by varying the magnetic field, while paramagnetic materials can't.Hope that was helpful!
scientist91
I tried 1.000.000 on google and I didn't find nothing. So please help me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried searching on "induced magnetization"? Surround the two words in quotes to make sure google searches on the phrase rather than the individual words. But do take a little care because you can't always trust what you find on the internet. Maybe one of the experts here can point you at a trustworthy source.

ranger said:
When the magnetic domains of the iron bar (or any material in general) come under the influence of a magnetic field; they realign. Causing the iron to have more apparent magnetic properties.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/ferro.html#c4
Ok, but is it possible that current will show up, right?

I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

The magnetic field is simply the area that is influenced by the magnetic force.

scientist91 said:
And magnetism doesn't require changing magnetic field?

Nope. It's just magetic interaction between the magnetic fields of the domains and the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.

Archduke said:
Nope. It's just magetic interaction between the magnetic fields of the domains and the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.
so you say that I can magnetize some iron bar without time-varying magnet, right?

scientist91 said:
so you say that I can magnetize some iron bar without time-varying magnet, right?

If you read the first link I gave you. You'll see why the iron bar becomes magnetized in the first place without varying the magnetic field, if that's what you mean by "time-varying" magnet. Its all about the magnetic domains becoming realigned.

And what makes the magnet to lose its magnetic property?

Magnets can be affected by the following:
1) Forces that knock the domains out of alignment
2) Temperature. The higher the temp, the faster 1) will occur. Extreme heat, exceeding the curie point, will immediately damage the magnetic. The curie point is a threshold temperature above which a magnetic material loses its magnetism.
3) Very sharp blow may also do some damage.
4) And since a magnetic field affects magnetic domains of materials, a strong nearby field may also do some realignment.

and is the magnetic field inside conductor affects the electrons (makes them more excited)?

Electron motion in atoms produces the magnetic fields of permanent [ferro]magnet.
Electrons get excited when they have kinetic energy due to thermal activity or when they are influenced by a potential difference/electric field.

ranger said:
Electron motion in atoms produces the magnetic fields of permanent [ferro]magnet.
Electrons get excited when they have kinetic energy due to thermal activity or when they are influenced by a potential difference/electric field.
But are they are forced from their "own" magnetic field?

ranger said:
When the magnetic domains of the iron bar (or any material in general) come under the influence of a magnetic field; they realign. Causing the iron to have more apparent magnetic properties.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/ferro.html#c4

Dear Ranger,

I registered on this forum for the opportunity of thanking you for your links and helpful information.

thanks and kind regards to all

Wal

Just a few comments -- hopefully helpful.

1. As I'm sure the links state, applying a stong magnetic field to a ferrous material will magnetize the material. This is done because it forces all of the magmetic domains to align. In ferrous materials, once the external magnetic field us of suffcient strength, the domains will remailn aligned after it is gone. This is usually demonstrated with a diagram known as a hysterisis loop.

2. To predictably demagnetize ferrous materials a variable field is used. A popular method is to apply a certain magnetic field in one direction followed by a field of half that intensity in the opposite direction. This pattern is repeated several times with each field half the intensity of the previous one. This effectively randomizes the domains. I think that in commercial demagnetizers, this is sometimes done by applying an ac field and slowly moving the demagnetizer away from the item being demagnetized.

To demagnetise an iron magnet, you simply need to expose it to a magnetic field with the amount called "coercive field" in the opposite direction of the iron magnet's field. If you really want to understand this revise what's called "Hysteresis loop".

As I can see you're not familiar with magnetism, and therefore I'm going to oversimplify the problem for you.

You can (of course you can't but as an oversimplification) divide materials into 2 types, paramagnetic and ferromagnetic, both are the same, but the only difference is the way they respond to magnetic field at a certain temperature.
Materials like Aluminum are paramagnetic, but if you cool them to a certain temperature called critical temperature, they start to behave like iron (ferromagnetic).
The difference between paramagnets and ferromagnets is that paramagnets can use the temperature's energy to minimise the magnetic field in order to minimise the energy of the system. Don't forget that all systems in the world want to minimise their energy, that's why everything falls from up to down, and that's why charges get attracted, and for the same reason magnets get attracted.
When you apply a magnetic field to a paramagnetic material and ferromagnetic material, they both tend to align their spins in the direction of the magnetic field, with no difference at all (there is but not our consideration). The difference happens when you remove the magnetic field, where ferromagnetic material can't employ the temperature's energy to go back to the minimal magnetic field, while paramagnetic materials can.
But this is not absolute statement, because in fact ferromagnetic materials keep trying to minimise their energy, but they take very long time, this is why they stay magnetised.

I hope this helps, I know it's somehow complicated. If you have a question about what I've said, just ask.

Good luck :)

Related to What happens, when you are trying to magnetize some iron bar?

1. How do you magnetize an iron bar?

To magnetize an iron bar, you can use a strong magnet and rub it against the bar in one direction multiple times. This will align the electrons in the iron atoms in the same direction, creating a magnetic field.

2. Can any type of iron be magnetized?

No, only ferromagnetic materials can be magnetized. These include iron, nickel, and cobalt. Other types of iron, such as cast iron and steel, may contain these elements but their composition and structure prevent them from being magnetized.

3. How long does it take to magnetize an iron bar?

This depends on the strength of the magnet being used and the size of the iron bar. Generally, it may take a few minutes of rubbing with a strong magnet to magnetize a small iron bar, while larger bars may take longer.

4. What happens if you try to magnetize a non-magnetic material?

If you try to magnetize a non-magnetic material, such as aluminum or copper, it will not become magnetized. These materials do not have the necessary properties to align the electrons and create a magnetic field.

5. Can you reverse the magnetization of an iron bar?

Yes, the magnetization of an iron bar can be reversed by using a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction. This can be achieved by rubbing the bar with a magnet in the opposite direction or by using an electromagnet with a current flowing in the opposite direction.