What Happens When Steam and Water Reach Thermal Equilibrium?

In summary: You're not being slow at all! In fact, you're doing a great job! :) Let's take a look at your equation:dQ = dT/TcIn this equation, Q is the quantity of steam, T is the temperature of the system, and c is the specific heat capacity of steam. So, in this case, Q = T/Tc. So, in this equation, you're solving for Tc.Well, in this case, Tc is 21.1 degrees Celsius. So, the final temperature of the system will be 21.1 degrees Celsius.
Crocodile
Hi

Just wondering if I could have a bit of help on this question. Thanks in advance!

3) 100 g of steam at 150_C and 1 kg of water at 20_C are placed together inside
an insulated volume. The specic heat of steam is 2.02x10^3J kg_1K_1, that
of water is 4.19 x10^3 J kg_1K_1 and the latent heat of evaporation of water is
226x10^6 J kg_1.

a) Once the two fluids have come into thermal equilibrium what is left - water or
steam?

b) Calculate the final temperature of the system.

c) Is the net change in the internal energy of the system positive, negative or
zero?

d) Calculate the increase in entropy of the system.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Crocodile! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Crocodile said:
Just wondering if I could have a bit of help on this question.

Yes, but only a bit :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thanks for the welcome! Well...sorry to sound slightly stupid, but this topic isn't my forte so I haven't really got a clue where to start! Any help at all would be appreciated.

Well, for part b I may have an idea - whether its viable or not I'm not sure... My thoughts are that we know that the total energy of the system must remain constant. Therefore would it be possible to put the specific heat capacity equation of both cases equal to each other? I.e. the dQ would be the same for both the steam and the water.

Thanks.

Crocodile said:
Well, for part b … we know that the total energy of the system must remain constant. Therefore would it be possible to put the specific heat capacity equation of both cases equal to each other? I.e. the dQ would be the same for both the steam and the water.

Essentially, yes …

write out the equation and see what you get. :smile:

Right, so now I have a ratio of the two dT's - between steam and water. Is that correct? I'm not sure how to use this though... Sorry if this is an elementary question and I'm just being slow!

Related to What Happens When Steam and Water Reach Thermal Equilibrium?

1. What is Thermal Equilibrium and how does it relate to steam?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two objects are at the same temperature and there is no heat transfer between them. This concept is important when discussing steam because steam is a vapor that exists at a specific temperature and pressure, and when it comes into contact with another object at a different temperature, heat transfer will occur until both objects reach thermal equilibrium.

2. How is the temperature of steam determined?

The temperature of steam is determined by its pressure, as dictated by the steam tables. As the pressure of steam increases, so does its temperature. Conversely, as pressure decreases, so does the temperature of steam.

3. What factors affect the thermal equilibrium of steam?

The thermal equilibrium of steam can be affected by several factors, such as the pressure and temperature of the steam, the surface area and material of the object it is in contact with, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, any changes in these factors can also impact the thermal equilibrium of steam.

4. How does thermal equilibrium of steam play a role in industrial processes?

The thermal equilibrium of steam is an important concept in industrial processes, as it allows for efficient heat transfer and temperature control. In many industrial processes, steam is used to heat and cool materials, and understanding thermal equilibrium is crucial in ensuring that the desired temperature is achieved.

5. Can thermal equilibrium be achieved quickly with steam?

The time it takes for thermal equilibrium to be achieved with steam depends on several factors, such as the temperature and pressure of the steam, the temperature difference between the steam and the object it is in contact with, and the surface area of the object. In some cases, thermal equilibrium can be achieved quickly, but in others, it may take longer for the two objects to reach the same temperature.