What happens when I burn Gingelly oil, which was already fried?

• Thread starter Govind_Balaji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, there is no significant difference between burning fresh and used Gingelly oil. Used oil may have a stronger smell, but the chemical composition remains the same. The smell is caused by the release of Acrolein, which is a byproduct of burning oil.
Govind_Balaji

Homework Statement

What happens when I burn Gingelly oil, which was already fried?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually this is not a homework question. This is just my curiosity. I don't want to experiment it at my home if it is explosive or may release Carbon mono oxide.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no important difference between used and fresh oil when it comes to burning it. Used one can be more smelly.

Borek said:
There is no important difference between used and fresh oil when it comes to burning it. Used one can be more smelly.

What causes that smell? It must be chemically altered some where. Where is it?

What do you know about its original composition?

Borek said:
What do you know about its original composition?

Nothing:shy:

Borek said:
Then even knowing how it was altered you would still know nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrolein

You mean Acrolein is released when fried oil is burnt?

PS: Sorry I was inactive for a long time.

Have you read the linked article? Actually just a third phrase will do.

Related to What happens when I burn Gingelly oil, which was already fried?

1. What is Gingelly oil and how is it made?

Gingelly oil, also known as sesame oil, is a vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. It is commonly used in cooking and has a nutty flavor. The oil is extracted from the seeds through a process of pressing, grinding, and heating.

2. Can Gingelly oil be reused after frying?

Yes, Gingelly oil can be reused after frying. However, it is important to strain the oil and remove any food particles before reusing it. It is also recommended to use the oil within a few days to maintain its quality.

3. What happens when Gingelly oil is heated and burned?

When Gingelly oil is heated and burned, it can release smoke and produce a burnt smell. The oil may also darken in color and lose some of its original flavor. This is due to the breakdown of the oil's fatty acids and can affect the overall taste of the food being cooked.

4. Is it safe to consume food cooked in burned Gingelly oil?

In most cases, consuming food cooked in burned Gingelly oil is safe. However, the burnt oil may affect the taste and quality of the food. It is best to avoid using burned oil for cooking and to discard it properly.

5. How can I prevent Gingelly oil from burning?

To prevent Gingelly oil from burning, it is important to monitor the heat while cooking. The oil should not be heated beyond its smoke point, which is around 350-410°F. It is also recommended to use fresh oil for cooking instead of reusing already fried oil.