Amount of moles emitted by burning oil

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Donna14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles Oil
In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the number of moles of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere per year due to the total energy consumption on Earth (16TW). It was determined that 1 mole of CO2 is equal to 44g and that 1,22x10^13 kg of oil is needed to cover the 16TW. The balanced reaction equation for the reaction of each CH2 group with O2 was also discussed and it was concluded that 2 mol of oil gives 2 mol of CO2. The final calculation showed that 871x106 mol of oil is equal to the amount of moles of CO2. However, there was some confusion over the wording of the question and the assumption that
Donna14

Homework Statement

Calculate the number of moles of CO2 that are emitted into the atmosphere per year due to the total energy consumption on Earth (16TW). Note: 1kg oil yields 42MJ and for oil C:H ' 1:2.

I don't know how to calculate how many grams/moles of CO2 are emitted by burning 1kg of the oil

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

- 1 mole CO2 is 44g

- I calculated that 1,22x10^13 kg oil is needed to cover the 16TW

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem approximates the formula for oil as a chain of CH2s. Each CH2 reacts with O2 to produce H2O and CO2. Can you write a balanced reaction equation for the reaction of each CH2 group with O2?

Or, from a slightly different (but yielding the same answer) angle: if the experimental formula is CH2, how many grams of C and how many grams of H in 1 kg of the substance?

Thank you so much for your input!

Let's check if I understand it better now:

2CH2+ 3O2 gives 2H2O + 2CO2

So 2 mol oil gives 2 mol CO2

1 mol oil weights 14g
1 mol CO2 weights 44g
1.22 x 1013 kg oil/ 14 x 10-3 = 871x106mol oil
Which equals the amount of moles CO2

Is this correct?

Chemistry looks OK to me, but on the second read I am not sure how to understand

Donna14 said:
due to the total energy consumption on Earth (16TW)

16TW is not energy consumption, it is power required. I see you assumed it is intended to mean "average power required throughout the year" - looks OK to me, still, question could be worded better.

Related to Amount of moles emitted by burning oil

1. How is the amount of moles emitted by burning oil measured?

The amount of moles emitted by burning oil is typically measured by collecting and analyzing the exhaust gases produced during the combustion process. This can be done using specialized equipment such as gas analyzers.

2. What factors affect the amount of moles emitted by burning oil?

The amount of moles emitted by burning oil can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and quality of the oil being burned, the efficiency of the combustion process, and the temperature and pressure at which the burning occurs.

3. Are there any regulations or limits on the amount of moles emitted by burning oil?

Yes, there are regulations and limits set by government agencies to control the amount of moles emitted by burning oil. These regulations vary by location and are designed to protect air quality and human health.

4. Can the amount of moles emitted by burning oil be reduced?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to reduce the amount of moles emitted by burning oil. These include using more efficient combustion processes, using cleaner and higher quality oils, and implementing emissions control technologies.

5. What are the potential health and environmental impacts of high levels of moles emitted by burning oil?

High levels of moles emitted by burning oil can contribute to air pollution, which can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. These emissions can also contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain, and can release harmful chemicals into the atmosphere.