What Happens When a Black Hole Interacts with Antimatter?

In summary, a black hole is extremely dense matter that could potentially interact with antimatter. If this were to occur, a part of the black hole's mass may annihilate, but this would not change the overall mass of the black hole. Any photons created as a result of the annihilation would contribute to the stress energy tensor inside the event horizon. The x-rays emitted from a black hole come from the accretion disk, which is a ring of in-spiralling matter that is heated to extremely hot temperatures before falling beyond the event horizon.
Daniel Petka
A black hole is basically extremely dense matter. What could happen if it interacted with antimatter?
I guess a part of the black hole's mass would annihilate.

Space news on Phys.org
Nothing observable would happen. Once the antimatter falls beyond the event horizon it is no longer possible to know what happens. The antimatter likely just falls inward towards the singularity, but we can't be sure.

Daniel Petka said:
I guess a part of the black hole's mass would annihilate.

Mass cannot annihilate. Only particles can annihilate, and then their mass is converted into energy (which itself has mass). The mass of the black hole would remain unchanged.

A black hole is not extremely dense matter.
Drakkith said:
The mass of the black hole would remain unchanged.
The mass would increase since the anti-matter would carry mass into the black hole.

Likes stoomart and Daniel Petka
Orodruin said:
The mass would increase since the anti-matter would carry mass into the black hole.

Sorry, I meant that any annihilation process that might occur would not change the mass of the black hole.

Drakkith said:
Only particles can annihilate, and then their mass is converted into energy (which itself has mass).
Wouldn't that be assuming that a photon pair is not created as a result of the annihilation, as photons are massless?

Comeback City said:
Wouldn't that be assuming that a photon pair is not created as a result of the annihilation, as photons are massless?
Photons are not massless in the way you seem to be thinking. They have no rest mass but they have an energy equivalent and so contribute to the stress energy tensor inside the EH.

Likes stoomart
phinds said:
Photons are not massless in the way you seem to be thinking. They have no rest mass but they have an energy equivalent and so contribute to the stress energy tensor inside the EH.
Ah okay I see now thanks.

phinds said:

I would just like to point out that, for the typical Schwarzschild solution, the stress-energy tensor is identically equal to zero everywhere (i.e., the Schwarzschild solution is a vacuum solution to the EFEs). The mass of the Schwarzschild black hole is a global property of the space-time.

Drakkith said:
Mass cannot annihilate. Only particles can annihilate, and then their mass is converted into energy (which itself has mass). The mass of the black hole would remain unchanged.

As far as I know that energy are EM-waves, which don't have any mass.

Btw how do you then explain the X-ray radiation coming out of the black hole if it eats something?

Daniel Petka said:
As far as I know that energy are EM-waves, which don't have any mass.

A single photon has no mass, but a system of photons does indeed have mass. The details are a bit complicated.

Daniel Petka said:
Btw how do you then explain the X-ray radiation coming out of the black hole if it eats something?

The x-rays come from the accretion disk, which is a ring of in-spiralling matter that is heated to extremely hot temperatures, emitting x-rays before it falls beyond the event horizon.

Likes stoomart
Ok I see

Related to What Happens When a Black Hole Interacts with Antimatter?

1. What is a black hole and how does it differ from antimatter?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape it. On the other hand, antimatter is a type of matter consisting of antiparticles that have the opposite charge and spin of regular particles. The main difference between a black hole and antimatter is that a black hole is a phenomenon that occurs in space, while antimatter is a type of matter that can exist anywhere.

2. Can a black hole and antimatter interact with each other?

Yes, a black hole and antimatter can interact with each other. When antimatter comes into contact with normal matter, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy. This process can also occur near the event horizon of a black hole, where the strong gravitational pull can pull in antimatter particles and cause them to collide with normal matter particles, resulting in annihilation.

3. Do black holes contain antimatter?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that black holes contain large amounts of antimatter. However, some theories suggest that small amounts of antimatter may exist near the event horizon of a black hole, due to the intense gravitational forces and high-energy collisions that occur in that region.

4. Can a black hole be created by antimatter?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to be created by antimatter. When an equal amount of matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate each other and release energy. If this energy is concentrated in a small enough space, it can create a black hole.

5. What would happen if an antimatter object collided with a black hole?

If an antimatter object were to collide with a black hole, it would likely be pulled in by the black hole's strong gravitational pull and annihilate upon contact with the normal matter particles near the event horizon. The resulting energy release would be extremely powerful and could potentially be detected by telescopes and other instruments. However, the exact outcome would depend on the size and properties of the antimatter object and the black hole itself.