What happens to the wave function after an operator transformation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of the Hamiltonian operator and its effect on the wave function. The transformation can be represented by a unitary operator and affects the operator itself rather than the wave function. The eigenstates and eigenvectors will change as a result of the transformation. However, the wave function remains unchanged. This is all in the context of the second formalism in quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with the understanding of the transformation and a question being resolved.
roya
for example, if the hamiltonian of a system is transformed this way:
H(x) --> H(x+a)
i understand that the tranformation can be represented by a unitary operator U=exp(iap/[tex]\hbar[/tex])
UH(x)U[tex]^{*}[/tex]=H(x+a)

but what happens to the wave function? how is it transformed?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the operator is transformed, then the wavefunction or state is left alone.

what i mean to ask is how does the new wave function look like.
the harmonic oscillator for example, H=p[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2m+m[tex]\omega^{2}x^{2}[/tex]/2
if H(x) --> H(x+a) , then the eigenstates represented in the position basis must go through some sort of transformation as well.
how do i represent that transformation?

Last edited:
RedX answered that question. There are two formalisms in quantum mechanics. You can think of a transformation as affecting the wave function only, not the operator, or as affecting the operator only, not the wave function. since you are transforming the Hamiltonian, you are using the second formalism. The wavefunction is not changed in any way. Of course, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors will change because now they are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this new operator.

thanks for the response, i think i partially understand my confusion now.had another question, but just figured it out, so thanks again.

Last edited:

Related to What happens to the wave function after an operator transformation?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other properties of the particle.

2. What is an operator transformation?

An operator transformation is a mathematical operation applied to the wave function. It can change the properties of the particle and how it behaves.

3. What happens to the wave function after an operator transformation?

After an operator transformation, the wave function will change to reflect the new properties of the particle. This can include changes in position, momentum, or other properties.

4. How does an operator transformation affect the quantum state of a particle?

An operator transformation can alter the quantum state of a particle by changing its properties. This can result in changes to the particle's behavior and how it interacts with other particles.

5. Can an operator transformation change the nature of a wave function?

Yes, an operator transformation can change the nature of a wave function by altering its properties and the behavior of the particle it describes.