What Happens to the Electric Field Equation at Different Limits?

In summary, the equation E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z \sqrt{z^2+L^2}} has two different limits: when z>>L, the L term becomes insignificant in the square root and the equation simplifies to \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z^2}. When L approaches infinity, the equation can be rewritten as \frac{\lambda}{ 2 \pi\epsilon_0} \frac{ L}{z^2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{L^2}{z^2}}} and can be further simplified
vorcil

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to figure out what happens to this equation in the limits

[tex] E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z \sqrt{z^2+L^2}} [/tex]

in the two different cases

that z>>L

and when L -> infinity

(note this equation was derived from finding the electric field da distance z, above the midpoint of a straight line segment of length 2L, which carries a uniform line charge of [tex] \lambda [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for the case when, z>>L I can see how the L term becomes insignificant in the square root on the bottom,
and so the equation would just become
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z^2} [/tex]

but for the case when L approaches infinity, what do I do?
the squareroot of a L^2 +z^2 == L?
does that mean the L can just be canceled out?
[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z *L} [/tex]
and the equation becomes?
[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda}{z} [/tex]

i'm not sure if I'm allowed to since the Z was the distance from the midpoint of the line,

the first one makes sense since it just becomes a point charge of 2lambda L
but the second case, I'm not too sure what it becomes

Physics news on Phys.org

consider the form of the field produced by an infinite conductor, which should agree with your 2nd result

it helps to re-write the expression in the following form so it is clear when you take the limit

first as follows
[tex] E
= \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{2\lambda L}{z \sqrt{z^2+L^2}}
= \frac{\lambda}{ 2 \pi\epsilon_0} \frac{ L}{z^2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{L^2}{z^2}}}

\approx \frac{\lambda}{ 2 \pi\epsilon_0} \frac{ L}{z^2} (1-\left(\frac{L}{z}\right)^2 + O\left(\frac{L}{z}\right)^4)

[/tex]

Related to What Happens to the Electric Field Equation at Different Limits?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values get closer and closer to a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the input values approach a specific value.

2. What is an infinity problem?

An infinity problem is a mathematical problem that involves values that are infinitely large or infinitely small. These values are often represented by the symbol ∞ (infinity) and can cause difficulties in solving certain equations or determining the behavior of a function.

3. How do you solve a limit and infinity problem?

To solve a limit and infinity problem, you must first determine the behavior of the function as the input values approach the specific value. This can be done by plugging in values that are closer and closer to the specific value and observing the output. If the output approaches a specific value, then the limit exists and can be solved using algebraic techniques or by using mathematical rules for evaluating limits.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input values approach the specific value from one direction, either from the left or from the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as the input values approach the specific value from both directions, allowing for a more complete understanding of the function's behavior.

5. Why are limits and infinity problems important in mathematics?

Limits and infinity problems are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and solve equations that involve infinitely large or small values. They are also essential in fields such as calculus, where they are used to find derivatives and integrals of functions.