What happens to power when voltage is negative

In summary, the voltage becomes negative often, and this has an effect on the power factor of the load.
anj16
Hello,

In the following voltage vs time graph as we can see the voltage becomes negative often time.
My question is: if power= V*I then when voltage is negative do I have negative power?

12682059.png

Physics news on Phys.org
When your voltage switches direction, your current would as well. So if V = +ve, then I = +ve and if V= -ve then I=-ve.

So either way P is always positive.

Ah true, didn't realize that. Thank You.

rock.freak667 said:
When your voltage switches direction, your current would as well. So if V = +ve, then I = +ve and if V= -ve then I=-ve.

So either way P is always positive.

For a load that's not purely resistive, there'll be a period of time where your voltage and current is of opposite sign, which means whatever was consuming power before is now providing it. The power factor of your load is a measure of how "severe" this effect is.

The extra line loss associated with this return flow of power (reactive power) is one of the reasons why electric utilities won't provide you with power unless you bring your power factor up to code.

Last edited:
For pure resistance V and I are in phase so power is always positive and power is dissipated.
For pure inductance and pure capacitance V and I are out of phase by 90 degrees which means that power goes positive then negative and zero power is dissipated over one cycle.
these components are described as 'reactive' to distinguish them from 'resistive'

If I take a single coil of wire and take magnet and induce a Voltage will the R in v=IR be the internal resistance of the wire?

Edited.

Last edited:
If you take a magnet and wave it around near a coil of wire you will induce a VOLTAGE (not a flux).
The current you get will be given by V/r

That 'r' will it be the internal resistance of the wire?

Therefore r =ρL/A were ρ=resistivity, L=length, A=cross sectional area ?

Last edited:
changing the subject...not as interested.

technician said:
changing the subject...not as interested.

Quite rude to try to change subject without answering the question when you are not the one that asked the question in the first place...

If you don't want to answer then just don't.

Ok, sorry but did not want to go onto something else.
If you want to raise a different topic you are supposed to open a new thread so that everyone can see a new topic.

Related to What happens to power when voltage is negative

1. What does it mean for voltage to be negative?

When voltage is negative, it means that the electrical potential difference between two points is in the opposite direction of the flow of electrons. In other words, the electrons are moving from the higher potential point to the lower potential point.

2. How does a negative voltage affect power?

A negative voltage can decrease the power in a circuit, as it opposes the flow of electrons and reduces the overall electrical potential difference. This results in a decrease in the rate at which energy is transferred and work is done.

3. Can negative voltage damage electrical devices?

Yes, negative voltage can potentially damage electrical devices if the device is not designed or equipped to handle it. This is because the flow of electrons is reversed, which can cause damage to components and disrupt the functioning of the device.

4. What role does negative voltage play in circuits?

Negative voltage is an essential part of electrical circuits, as it allows for the control and direction of the flow of electrons. It is commonly used in diodes, transistors, and other electronic components to regulate the flow of current and create specific circuit behaviors.

5. How is negative voltage measured?

Negative voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. The voltmeter will display a negative value when the voltage is negative, and a positive value when the voltage is positive.