What Happens to Atom Speeds and Directions in an Elastic Collision?

In summary, an atom of mass m moving in the x direction with speed v collides elastically with an atom of mass 3m at rest. After the collision, the first atom moves in the y direction with a speed of v/sqrt(2), and the second atom moves in the direction theta = -35.3 degrees with a speed of v/sqrt(6). The equations for momentum and energy conservation can be simplified by setting V1fx = 0 and V1fy = v1f, resulting in three equations and three unknowns to solve for the final velocities of both atoms.
John O' Meara
An atom of mass m moving in the x direction with speed v collides elastically with an atom of mass 3m at rest. After the collision the first atom moves in the y direction. Find the direction of motion of the second atom and speed of both atoms (in terms of v) after the collision?
Ans: mass m moves at v/sqrt(2), mass 3m moves at v/sqrt(6) in the direction theta=-35.3 degrees.

Momentum before = momentum after

MV1i + MV2i = MV1f + MV2f

x-direction MV1i = MV1fx + MV2fx

y-direction 0 = MV1fy + MV2fy

this translates into

mv = mV1fx + 3mV2fx ......(i)

0 = mV1fy + 3mV2fy ......(ii)

mv^2 = m(0 + V1fy^2) + 3m(V2fx^2 + V2fy^2) ...(iii)

where :
M, V1i, V2i, V1f, V2f, V1fx, V2fx, V1fy, V2fy , etc are variables

m,v are values

x = x-component , y = y-component, f = final , i = initial

The question is are these equations right, as I cannot get the above answers
Thanks and regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
John O' Meara said:
this translates into

mv = mV1fx + 3mV2fx ......(i)

0 = mV1fy + 3mV2fy ......(ii)

mv^2 = m(0 + V1fy^2) + 3m(V2fx^2 + V2fy^2) ...(iii)
OK, but realize that V1fx = 0, V1fy = v1f. That will simplify things, giving you three equations and three unknowns.

Yes, these equations are correct. To solve for the direction and speed of the atoms after the collision, we can use the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. Solving these equations simultaneously, we get the values for V1fy and V2fx, which can then be used to find the direction and speed of the atoms. The values you have obtained for the direction and speed of the atoms after the collision seem to be correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

Related to What Happens to Atom Speeds and Directions in an Elastic Collision?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two or more objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, whereas in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy (such as heat or sound). Additionally, in an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other and retain their original shapes, while in an inelastic collision, the objects may stick together or deform.

3. How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in an elastic collision?

The final velocities of objects in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. The equations are: - Conservation of momentum: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f- Conservation of kinetic energy: 1/2m1v1i2 + 1/2m2v2i2 = 1/2m1v1f2 + 1/2m2v2f2where m represents mass and v represents velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include:- A game of billiards, where the balls collide and bounce off each other without losing kinetic energy.- A rubber ball bouncing off a wall or the ground.- Two cars colliding head on with equal mass and speed, resulting in a bounce and no damage to either car.

5. Are elastic collisions possible in all types of collisions?

No, elastic collisions are only possible in collisions between objects that do not permanently deform or stick together. In other words, elastic collisions can only occur between objects that are able to bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy.