What Happens to Acceleration If Net Force Triples?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between net force, mass, and acceleration in the context of a person pulling a car. The question asks about the new acceleration when the net force is tripled. Through the use of the equation F=ma and further explanations, it is determined that the new acceleration will be 18 m/s^2. The conversation concludes with a confirmation of this answer.
lightbender

Homework Statement

Suppose that a person is pulling a car with an acceleration of 6 m/s^2. If the reindeer triples the net force, what is the new acceleration?

Homework Equations

F=ma
where, m= mass, a= acceleration, F=force

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know what my teacher means by this problem.
I think the answer is 18 m/s^2.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
a = F/m

All you're doing is tripling the Net Force. So, what would happen?

I do not get what you are asking!

Please Help!
Thank you

I derived a = F/m from F = ma.

Just think about it. All we're doing is tripling the net force. You can put numbers in for examples and see what happens.

What do you mean by put numbers in for examples?

when we triple the net force, A = F / m there will be a value of 3 next to the F. it looks like this A = 3F / M (if F increased by 3x and m stayed the same A would increase by a factor of 3 also)
this relation proves that the acceleration does increase by 3x. so 18 seems like the answer

Thank you!

Related to What Happens to Acceleration If Net Force Triples?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time. It is defined as the rate of change of velocity and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration related to net force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion: F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity increases, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity decreases. Both types of acceleration are caused by the presence of a net force acting on the object.

4. How do you calculate net force?

Net force is calculated by adding together all of the forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are simply added together. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the net force is the difference between the two forces.

5. Can an object have acceleration without a net force?

No, an object cannot have acceleration without a net force. According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force. Therefore, a net force is necessary to cause acceleration in an object.