What happens if I can answer my own question?

• Thread starter TheOfficialAB
  • Start date
The bumping rule is that you are not allowed to reply to a thread unless you have something significant to add. If you do have something significant to add, then no problem. The "bumping" rule is not a rule against bumping - it is a rule against posting fluff.
TheOfficialAB
Assume, for example, I posted a thread in the Homework forum that no one replied to.
Now, later on, after much trying, I have answered the question and found the solution.

If I want to put my solution up on the thread, do I:

a) Edit my post to include it? and include [SOLVED] in the title?
or
b) Reply to my own post with the solution? and indicate the thread solved in the same way.

(or does one not indicate the problem as solved at all?)

Cheers,
AB

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's generally best if you just reply instead of edit. It's usually too confusing if the original post gets edited.

And you may not be able to edit the thread title if some time has passed (I forget what the current time limit is). You could click Report in the thread and ask the Mentors to edit the thread title, but so far we have not been using "Solved" for any purposes in the Homework Help forums.

Likes TheOfficialAB
TheOfficialAB said:
Assume, for example, I posted a thread in the Homework forum that no one replied to.
Now, later on, after much trying, I have answered the question and found the solution.

If I want to put my solution up on the thread, do I:

a) Edit my post to include it? and include [SOLVED] in the title?
or
b) Reply to my own post with the solution? and indicate the thread solved in the same way.

(or does one not indicate the problem as solved at all?)

Cheers,
AB
You might not be able to do option a if more than a few hours has gone by. There's only a short window of time during which you can edit your post. If you have found a solution, go ahead a post a reply to your first post.

We don't normally mark threads when the question is answered.

Likes TheOfficialAB
If you do B you are actually bumping it and it is forbidden. You should edit it and mark it as solved.

3301 said:
If you do B you are actually bumping it and it is forbidden. You should edit it and mark it as solved.
Not quite true. We would not consider a solution reply as a bump.

EDIT -- and users are allowed one bump post after a thread has gone without replies for 24 hours.

TheOfficialAB said:
Excellent post in the Homework Help forums, BTW! Nicely done. :smile:

Likes TheOfficialAB
Thank you all very much! I'll stick up my solution as a reply soon.
I look forward to seeing you all around PF!

berkeman said:
Excellent post in the Homework Help forums, BTW! Nicely done. :smile:

Haha, cheers mate! My lab reports are done through LaTeX, all the formatting finally seems to have drilled its way into my skull :oldbiggrin:

What happens if I can answer my own question

This is like a particle meeting its own antiparticle. Your answer will annihilate the question!

Poof!

:biggrin:

Zz.

Likes CrazyNinja, dlgoff, berkeman and 1 other person
3301 said:

No, it isn't. B is perfectly allowed.

Likes berkeman

Related to What happens if I can answer my own question?

1. What is the purpose of asking a question if I can answer it myself?

Asking a question and then answering it yourself can be beneficial in several ways. It can help you organize your thoughts and clarify your understanding of the topic. Additionally, by sharing your question and answer with others, you can help them learn and expand their knowledge on the subject.

2. Is it considered cheating to answer my own question?

No, it is not considered cheating to answer your own question. In fact, it shows that you have a strong understanding of the topic and are able to think critically about it. However, it is important to ensure that your answer is accurate and well-supported.

3. Can I use my own answer as a source in my research or project?

Yes, you can use your own answer as a source in your research or project. However, it is important to also include other sources to support your answer and provide a well-rounded perspective on the topic.

4. Will answering my own question make me appear less knowledgeable?

No, answering your own question does not make you appear less knowledgeable. In fact, it can showcase your expertise on the topic and demonstrate your ability to think critically and problem solve.

5. Can answering my own question lead to new discoveries or insights?

Yes, answering your own question can lead to new discoveries or insights. By critically thinking about a topic and providing an answer, you may come across new information or perspectives that can further expand your understanding and knowledge on the subject.