What happened to the iconic Maths Tower at Manchester University?

• Thread starter Voltage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the Maths Tower at Manchester University, which was an iconic symbol of learning and inspiration for many, was demolished due to the amalgamation of UMIST and the University of Manchester. It was a place where many learned about gates and induction, with a beautiful cityscape and Jodrell Bank in the background. It holds a special place in the hearts of those who had the opportunity to study there.
Voltage
One fine day I was going about my business when I heard that the Maths Tower at Manchester University was to be demolished. I was shocked. To me it was an inspirational icon of learning, the thing that put the campus on the skyline, on the map, and on the picture postcards. I used to sit on the seventeenth floor in a class, learning about gates and induction from the likes of Tom Kilburn, godfather of Computer Science. I listened intently with the cityscape before me and Jodrell Bank behind. I learned a lot in that Maths Tower. It shaped my life, it was my beacon. And now it’s gone.

041209-1345-50_std.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is(/was) that tower? Is it just off oxford road? I presume it was knocked down due to the amalgamation of UMIST and the University of Manchester.

(Sorry, I didn't ignore the thread!)

Last edited:
You've got to know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :-p

This could end up being longer than the Thread Killer thread.:rolleyes:

Danger said:
You've got to know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :-p

:smile: I was just curious! :blushing:

Related to What happened to the iconic Maths Tower at Manchester University?

1. What was the iconic Maths Tower at Manchester University?

The iconic Maths Tower at Manchester University was a 17-story building located on the university's main campus. It was built in the 1960s and was a prominent feature on the university's skyline.

2. Why was the Maths Tower demolished?

The Maths Tower was demolished in 2015 due to safety concerns and the need for modernization. The building was no longer able to meet the needs of the university and its students.

3. What was the process of demolishing the Maths Tower?

The process of demolishing the Maths Tower was a carefully planned and executed operation. It involved the removal of hazardous materials, such as asbestos, and the use of controlled explosions to bring down the building.

4. What happened to the materials from the Maths Tower?

The materials from the Maths Tower were recycled and reused in other construction projects. This helped to reduce waste and minimize the environmental impact of the demolition.

5. What is being built in place of the Maths Tower?

In place of the Maths Tower, a new state-of-the-art building called the Manchester Engineering Campus Development (MECD) is being constructed. This new building will house the university's engineering and science departments and will be a modern and sustainable addition to the campus.