What gears to use to reduce fan speed from fast moving motor

In summary, the conversation is about building a fan with a slow-moving blade, using a gear system with a belt. The person asks for suggestions on what gears to use and also requests specific numbers such as required fan RPM, blade length, and motor RPM. They also inquire about the type of motor needed. There is also a discussion about the unusual request to see each panel of the blade and the assumption that the blade will be made of multiple panels instead of single pieces.
Zaen
hey, I am building a fan, but I need the fan blade to move relatively slow, slow enough to see each panel on the blade. I am expecting to use a gear system with a belt. What gears should I use to active this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
First we need some actual numbers.
What fan RPM do you require ?
How long are the fan blades ?

What is the RPM of the motor ?
Is the motor an AC induction motor ?

Slow enough to see each panel of a blade is a very unusual spec. Why have you assumed your blade will be made of multiple panels rather than single pieces? And why do you need to see each one?

Related to What gears to use to reduce fan speed from fast moving motor

1. What are gears and how do they work?

Gears are mechanical devices with teeth that mesh together to transmit power and rotational motion from one shaft to another. They work by transferring the rotational force and speed of the input shaft to the output shaft.

2. What is the purpose of using gears to reduce fan speed from a fast moving motor?

The purpose of using gears in this scenario is to decrease the speed and increase the torque of the fan, making it more suitable for the desired application. This is achieved by using a larger gear on the input shaft and a smaller gear on the output shaft, resulting in a reduction in speed and an increase in torque.

3. How do I determine the appropriate gear ratio for my fan speed reduction?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear. To reduce fan speed, a gear ratio of less than 1:1 is needed, with the exact ratio depending on the desired speed reduction and the size of the gears.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing gears for fan speed reduction?

Yes, there are several factors that should be considered, such as the material and quality of the gears, the power and torque requirements of the fan, and the alignment and meshing of the gears. It is important to choose gears that are strong enough to handle the load and fit properly for optimal performance.

5. Can I use any type of gear to reduce fan speed from a fast moving motor?

While there are various types of gears, such as spur, helical, and bevel gears, that can be used for speed reduction, it is important to choose the appropriate type based on the specific application and requirements. For example, helical gears are better for high torque applications, while bevel gears are more suitable for changing the direction of rotation.