What factors determine the height, energy lost and frequency of bounces of a ball?

In summary: When the ball is struck, the energy of the collision is stored in the elastic deformation of the ball. When the ball rebounds, the energy is released and converted back into thermal energy.
greener1993
Hey :D,

I'm doing an experiment to determine the energy lost of a ball after each bounce. I am doing this experiment to 3 types, tennis ball, squash ball and ping pong ball.

I have already determined what I need to do to work out the energy lost of a ball as a percentage after each bounce. Please correct me if I am wrong
=100*(orginal Pe - new pe / orginal pe), Where Pe is just potential energy as using mass*9.81*height. So i would only have to find the mass and height of each bounce of the ball.

It is pretty obvious that each of theses balls loses energy each bonce at different rates E.G squash ball has lost all its energy after 3 bounces but the ping pong is still going after 10+ bounces. But what factors make this occur?

I assume that friction with the table is a major factor, and would need to find this.

Are there any more "major" factors and what experiments can i conduct to find out the fiction on the ball. This is only an A2 level experiment and details such as air resistance can be ignore.

Cheers, hope you can help :D

Greener

Physics news on Phys.org

What happens to the energy of a ball when it strikes a surface? It stops. How does it regain its energy? It must store it some how as internal potential energy and then release it back to the ball as kinetic energy. Compare the ways in which the three balls store that energy and release it back as kinetic energy.

AM

The loss depend on how much of the deformation results in potential compression energy being converted into temperature (energy), which ends up being lost as radiated heat.

Although not included in your list of objects a superball, if you can find one, is very elastic. A billiard ball on a hard surface (marble, steel, ...) is also very elastic.

Related to What factors determine the height, energy lost and frequency of bounces of a ball?

1. What is the relationship between the height of a ball and its energy lost?

The height of a ball and its energy lost are directly related. As the ball bounces, it loses energy due to friction and air resistance. This results in a decrease in its height with each bounce. The higher the initial height of the ball, the more energy it will have to lose and the lower it will bounce.

2. How does the material of a ball affect its bounce frequency?

The material of a ball can greatly affect its bounce frequency. Generally, a ball made of a more elastic material will bounce more frequently than one made of a less elastic material. This is because the more elastic material can store and release energy more efficiently, resulting in a faster bounce frequency.

3. What role does gravity play in determining the height and frequency of bounces?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the height and frequency of bounces of a ball. As the ball bounces, it is pulled back towards the ground by the force of gravity. This causes the height of each bounce to decrease and the frequency to slow down until the ball eventually comes to a stop.

4. How does the surface on which the ball bounces affect its height and energy loss?

The surface on which the ball bounces can greatly affect its height and energy loss. A softer surface, such as a carpet, will absorb more of the ball's energy, resulting in lower bounces and a slower decrease in height. A harder surface, such as concrete, will cause the ball to lose more energy with each bounce and result in higher bounces and a faster decrease in height.

5. Can the height and frequency of bounces be predicted accurately?

The height and frequency of bounces of a ball can be predicted to a certain extent, but it is difficult to be completely accurate due to the many factors involved. Factors such as air resistance, surface conditions, and the initial height and energy of the ball can all affect its bounces. However, by understanding the basic principles of physics and conducting experiments, we can make fairly accurate predictions about the height and frequency of bounces for a given ball on a particular surface.