Initial height of a bouncing ball and energy lost

In summary, your relationship is the equation of the line and you should look up coefficient of restitution.
tink7718
I am doing a lab in my senior physics class (IB HL Physics 3-4) and I am very confused about a relationship that I found. For my experiment I dropped a racquetball from different heights and then used video analysis to find the height of the ball on its final bounce. I used this data to calculate the initial and final gravitational potential energy and then found the difference between these value to find the energy lost during the ball's bouncing. I graphed the initial height (x) and the difference in energy (y). I had a perfectly linearly correlated graph (r value of 1) with an equation of E=0.379h-0.006. Because the equation is so correlated I feel like there must be a relationship between these two variables, but I am yet to find it.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 9.02.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 9.02.10 AM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 675
Physics news on Phys.org
Well your relationship is the equation of the line.
But it may help understand what you've discovered if you look up "coefficient of restitution".

Simon Bridge said:
Well your relationship is the equation of the line.
But it may help understand what you've discovered if you look up "coefficient of restitution".

For our labs we have to equate the equation we found for our graphs to one that we learned in class. I looked up the coefficient of restitution, but saw that it related more to kinetic energy and velocity than to potential energy and height. Does it relate to GPE as well?

The coefficient of restitution gives initial kinetic energy after the bounce... this will be related to the final potential energy. Hint: conservation laws.

However, the project suggests you are supposed to have learned something in class related to this.
Since I wasn't there, I don't know what you are supposed to have learned.
You should check you class material to see if anything stands out... it may be indirect.

1. What is the definition of initial height of a bouncing ball?

The initial height of a bouncing ball refers to the height at which the ball is dropped or thrown from before it begins to bounce. It is the starting point of the ball's motion and determines the amount of potential energy it has.

2. How is the initial height of a bouncing ball related to the energy lost during its bounce?

The initial height of a bouncing ball is directly related to the energy lost during its bounce. The higher the initial height, the more potential energy the ball has, and the more energy it will lose during each bounce.

3. Why is the initial height of a bouncing ball important to understand?

The initial height of a bouncing ball is important to understand because it affects the overall behavior and performance of the ball. It can impact the height and duration of the bounces, as well as the total distance the ball travels.

4. How does the surface the ball bounces on affect the initial height and energy lost?

The surface the ball bounces on can greatly impact the initial height and energy lost during its bounce. A softer surface, such as a carpet, will absorb more of the ball's energy and result in a lower initial height and less energy lost. A harder surface, like concrete, will cause the ball to bounce higher and lose more energy.

5. Are there any factors that can cause variations in the initial height and energy lost of a bouncing ball?

Yes, there are several factors that can cause variations in the initial height and energy lost of a bouncing ball. These include the type of surface, the temperature and humidity, the elasticity of the ball, and the angle and force at which the ball is thrown or dropped.