What equations relate to the symmetry of equipotential lines?

In summary, the professor gave me a picture of an equipotential line with +/- charges on the x-axis at +/- 28. He said I need to symmetry the line, connect the dots, and symmetry the line again.
Mimyo
Homework Statement
complete this equipotential line.
Relevant Equations
KakaoTalk_20200923_162021373_01.jpg
This is the second quadrant of the equipotential line. I think this would be symmetry but I'm not sure what to do.
Is this going to be the symmetry of both the x-axis and y-axis and the symmetry of the y-axis is ( - )?

Sorry for the bad English! feel free to leave comment if you can't understand the question, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mimyo said:
Homework Statement:: complete this equipotential line.
Relevant Equations:: .

View attachment 270056This is the second quadrant of the equipotential line. I think this would be symmetry but I'm not sure what to do.
Is this going to be the symmetry of both the x-axis and y-axis and the symmetry of the y-axis is ( - )?

Sorry for the bad English! feel free to leave comment if you can't understand the question, thank you!
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

The problem statement and the graph/drawing are very confusing. What is the full problem statement? What is at the origin? Charge? Current? A point of something or a distribution of line charge or something?

And what did the blank diagram look like before you started trying to draw lines on it? Were the long straight lines at angles there before, or did you draw those with a ruler? Were only the dotted lines in arcs on the drawing before, and all of the rest of the lines are yours?

Likes Mimyo
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

The problem statement and the graph/drawing are very confusing. What is the full problem statement? What is at the origin? Charge? Current? A point of something or a distribution of line charge or something?

And what did the blank diagram look like before you started trying to draw lines on it? Were the long straight lines at angles there before, or did you draw those with a ruler? Were only the dotted lines in arcs on the drawing before, and all of the rest of the lines are yours?
Professor just gave me the picture, since we can't do the experiment due to COVID 19. So this is the result of the "equipotential line experiment". The picture I posted is the 1/4 of the result and the original one (That I have to complete) is below. Line of electric force flows from + to -, and you can see the ( + ) in the picture.

KakaoTalk_20200923_161951630.jpg

So, I haven't drawn any lines. According to his advice, I have to symmetry to x or y-axis and connected dots going to be the equipotential line. After that, I have to symmetry the equipotential line again.

Thanks for helping me T_T

Okay, thanks. That helps a lot. So there are +/- charges on the x-axis at +/- 28 (whatever units), right?

Probably the Equipotential lines look a lot like the diagram below. But what equation would you use to calculate the E-field at any point as the sum of the contributions from each of the two charges? And how does that relate to the equation for the potential generated from that vector E-field?

1601156719073.png

Related to What equations relate to the symmetry of equipotential lines?

1. What is the equation for the symmetry of equipotential lines?

The equation for the symmetry of equipotential lines is V(x,y,z) = constant, where V represents the potential and (x,y,z) represents the coordinates on the equipotential line.

2. How is the symmetry of equipotential lines related to electric fields?

The symmetry of equipotential lines is directly related to electric fields. Equipotential lines are always perpendicular to electric field lines, and the electric field is strongest where the equipotential lines are closest together.

3. Can the symmetry of equipotential lines be used to calculate the electric potential at a point?

Yes, the symmetry of equipotential lines can be used to calculate the electric potential at a point. By knowing the potential at one point on an equipotential line, the potential at any other point on that line can be determined using the equation V(x,y,z) = constant.

4. How does the symmetry of equipotential lines change in the presence of a point charge?

In the presence of a point charge, the symmetry of equipotential lines is disrupted. The equipotential lines will be closer together near the point charge and will spread out as they move away from the charge.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the symmetry of equipotential lines?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the symmetry of equipotential lines. These include the presence of multiple point charges, the shape and size of conductors, and the distance between charges or conductors.