What else besides math should I study to prepare?

In summary, to prepare for an electrical engineering degree, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Other subjects to study include electrical and electronic circuits and devices, systems and controls, and electromagnetism. The Scaum's outline series books are also suggested for their affordability and abundance of solved problems. Additionally, learning how to analyze circuit diagrams using Kirchhoff's Laws is important. The book 'Practical Electronics for Inventors' is also recommended for its theory and practical application sections.
Tyrion101
I have been spending most of my time studying math, for an eventual goal of electrical engineering degree. My question is, simply, other than math what should I be studying?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics, and maybe a tiny bit of chemistry. But huge emphasis on the math and physics

Electrical engineering? There are always things you can start learning in that field with some basic math and physics if that is what interests you.

My intention is not to advertise the following books/Authors but they are 'standard'...So,if you want to be really prepared beforehand , the recommended basic books to study are:

-mathematics for engineers(amazon website is selling 2 good ones).Imo,prefer math books that include in their title the word 'engineer'.I bought Troba's book only to find it too theoretical,more appropriate for math majors,you need engineering oriented books.

-Sedra Smith's,Malvino's and Boylestad's books about electrical and electronic circuits and devices.Must have them all and fully comprehended.These are your EE Bible...

-Systems and controls books(introductory books not advanced).Systems and controls is time consuming if properly studied,a must know subject beforehand or you might STRUGGLE if the professor is not so good a teacher!Expect HEAVY use of maths...

-All Scaum's outline series books:electromagnetism,electric circuits,analog,digital design,mathematics,physics etc etc.These books are cheap to buy and have a TON of SOLVED problems==> digest them and you can skip some lectures early in the morning!Plus,if you "don't have money" ,you can download them for free via torrents...

Last edited:
As others have said, get a strong foundation in math and physics. Learn how to analyze circuit diagrams using Kirchhoff's Laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws).

Also, once you get a basis for understanding circuits and their components, I'd suggest picking up 'Practical Electronics for Inventors'. It has the theory part that most electronics books have, but it also has an application section where you can see how to build pretty much anything you're looking for. Its a good reference.

Related to What else besides math should I study to prepare?

1. What other subjects should I study besides math to prepare for a career in science?

In addition to math, it is important to have a strong foundation in the sciences such as biology, chemistry, and physics. These subjects will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the natural world and the scientific principles that govern it.

2. Is it necessary to study computer science in addition to math for a career in science?

In today's digital age, having a basic understanding of computer science and programming is highly beneficial for a career in science. Many scientific fields now rely on technology and data analysis, so having skills in computer science can give you a competitive edge.

3. Should I also study a foreign language to prepare for a career in science?

Studying a foreign language can be beneficial for a career in science, especially if you plan on conducting research or working with international colleagues. It can also open up opportunities for studying and working abroad.

4. Are there any non-academic skills I should focus on besides math?

In addition to academic subjects, it is important to develop strong critical thinking, problem solving, and communication skills. These skills are essential for success in the scientific field, as they will help you analyze data, think creatively, and effectively communicate your findings.

5. How can I best prepare for a career in science besides studying specific subjects?

In addition to academic preparation, gaining hands-on experience through internships, research opportunities, and volunteering can greatly enhance your skills and knowledge in the scientific field. It also shows your dedication and passion for the subject, which can be attractive to potential employers or graduate programs.