What Double Major Should I Get?

In summary, the individual is considering a double major in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and German. They are also considering Biochemistry, Molecular Chemistry, and Software Engineering, but with less consideration. They are particularly interested in working with quantum mechanics/string theory and are seeking advice on which combination of majors would be most suitable. The suggestion is made to double major in Physics and Mathematics for string theory, but ultimately the individual should choose the combination of fields they enjoy the most.
smize
I am currently thinking about getting a double major with a combination of any of the following degrees:
Physics
Mathematics
Chemistry
German

And possibly (With less consideration):
Biochemistry
Molecular Chemistry
Software Engineering

Most recently I have thought about doubling in Physics and Chemistry. I'm wanting to work with quantum mechanics/string theory as well as, well, anything theoretical and challenging. Any advice on which combination I should initially get? Thank-you.

Seth Mize

Physics news on Phys.org
For string theory, math and physics is most sensible, but a lot of UGs have this romantic notion of what string theory is actually about that does not measure up to the reality. You may want to just double major, if double majoring is even worth it, in whatever fields you enjoy the most.

Related to What Double Major Should I Get?

1. What are the benefits of having a double major?

Having a double major can provide you with a well-rounded education and increase your knowledge and skills in multiple fields. It can also make you more competitive in the job market and open up more career opportunities.

2. How do I choose which double major to pursue?

You should consider your interests, career goals, and the requirements and workload of each major. It can also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or individuals already working in your desired fields.

3. Can I double major in any two subjects?

Not all universities or majors allow for double majoring, so it is important to research and make sure your desired combination is possible. Some majors may also have specific requirements or prerequisites that must be met before declaring a double major.

4. Will it take longer to graduate with a double major?

It depends on the requirements and workload of each major, as well as your ability to manage your time and course load. Some universities offer accelerated programs or allow students to take summer courses to stay on track for graduation.

5. How will having a double major affect my GPA?

Having a double major means taking on a heavier course load, which can impact your GPA if you are not able to manage your time effectively. However, if you are passionate and motivated in both subjects, it is possible to excel in both and maintain a high GPA.