What does Young's Modulus x 2nd Moment of Area Equal

In summary: A beam's stiffness is usually determined by its second moment of area. The quantity EI is also called the 'bending stiffness' or the 'flexural rigidity'. To find the force that will cause the beam's first yield point to be reached, you need to calculate its relative flexural rigidity.
kiteboy
Hi all

I need to find the relative stiffnes of certain I beams from here

http://tsbluebook.steel-sci.org/EN/Browsers/Main.htm

Im assuming all I need to do times the Youngs Modulus by the 2nd Moment of Area

In my head I am making it more complicated than it should be so I hope this is all it is

As its all relative units etc don't matter - would that be correct??

Thanks for any info too

Physics news on Phys.org
Will I also have to divide by the beam length too??

Your post is a little vague. Is there a problem associated with your question? It would help if you could post as much information as you can.

In general, the stiffness of a beam in resisting bending is usually determined by its moment of inertia, or the second moment of area. The quantity EI is also called the 'bending stiffness' or the 'flexural rigidity'.

There is a problem regarding a frame and the moment distribution method and I need to find the force that that will cause first yield to take place on the fram. It seems a bit involved to put the whole question here so thought Id ask a basic question and the first I think is to get the relative flextural rigidity of the beams of the frames

the beams for example are the following sizes

It is made from structural steel sections of mild steel as follows:
Column AB: universal column section 203x203x60, see section b-b for orientation.
Beam BC: universal beam section 406x178x74, see section a-a for orientation
Column CD: universal column section 254x254x89, see section b-b for orientation

So to start the calcs off and moment distribution the relative stiffness is needed hence me asking the above - sorry if vaugue

Apparently, there is some sort of figure associated with this problem. Can you post it?

These
kiteboy said:
There is a problem regarding a frame and the moment distribution method and I need to find the force that that will cause first yield to take place on the fram. It seems a bit involved to put the whole question here so thought Id ask a basic question and the first I think is to get the relative flextural rigidity of the beams of the frames

the beams for example are the following sizes

It is made from structural steel sections of mild steel as follows:
Column AB: universal column section 203x203x60, see section b-b for orientation.
Beam BC: universal beam section 406x178x74, see section a-a for orientation
Column CD: universal column section 254x254x89, see section b-b for orientation

So to start the calcs off and moment distribution the relative stiffness is needed hence me asking the above - sorry if vaugue
These are british sections. Do you have standard tables giving you the 2nd M of A for each one?

Related to What does Young's Modulus x 2nd Moment of Area Equal

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation under stress. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. What is 2nd Moment of Area?

The 2nd Moment of Area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a measure of a material's resistance to bending. It is represented by the symbol I and is measured in units of length to the fourth power, such as meters to the fourth power (m4) or inches to the fourth power (in4).

3. How are Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area related?

Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area are related through the formula E = I/y, where E is Young's Modulus, I is the 2nd Moment of Area, and y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest. This formula is commonly used in engineering to calculate the stress and strain of a material under bending.

4. Why is the product of Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area important?

The product of Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area is important because it represents the material's resistance to bending stress. The higher the product, the stiffer the material and the less it will bend under stress. This is a critical factor in designing and selecting materials for structures and machines.

5. How is the product of Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area used in real-world applications?

The product of Young's Modulus and 2nd Moment of Area is used extensively in engineering and physics to analyze and design structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also used in the design and selection of materials for various components in machines and equipment. Understanding this relationship is crucial for ensuring the safety, stability, and functionality of these structures and materials.