What does this mean ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## in the Work-Energy Theorem?

In summary, the equation ##U=\int \vec{F}\times d\vec{r}=-\int \vec{F}_{s}\times d\vec{r}## represents the work done by a force on an object along a curved path. This is calculated by dividing the path into small segments and using the equation ##U=\sum{F dr}=\int F dr##, where both F and dr can be vectors. The "x" in the equation represents the cross product, but it should be a dot product.
n3pix
Hello,

I'm newly discovering the world of the Energy.

My question is about the equation ##U=\int \vec{F}\times d\vec{r}=-\int \vec{F}_{s}\times d\vec{r}##.

Can you tell me what does this equation means?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are familiar with the expression work=force * distance. U=F*r (letting r stand for distance)

But now consider a more complicated path, not a straight line distance.

We can divide the curved line into a number of nearly straight segments dx. The work for each segment dU=Fdr.

Then ##U=\sum{F dr}=\int F dr##

More generally both F and dr can be vectors, not just scalars as in your OP.

In your equation F and dr are vectors. When multiplying vectors an “x” means something very specific and not just “times”. I am sure you meant to use a dot for the dot product and not a “x” for the cross product which makes no sense here.

Likes vanhees71, Delta2, n3pix and 1 other person
Note, by the way, that it's ##\vec F.d\vec r##, not ##\vec F\times d\vec r## - it's the inner product of the force vector and the displacement vector, not the cross product.

Edit - beaten to it by mere seconds, I see...

Likes vanhees71 and Cutter Ketch

Related to What does this mean ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## in the Work-Energy Theorem?

1. What is the meaning of the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## represents the work-energy principle, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This equation specifically calculates the work done by a force on an object over a certain distance.

2. How is the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## derived in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## is derived from the basic definition of work, which is the product of force and displacement. In this equation, the force is integrated over the displacement to account for any changes in direction or magnitude of the force.

3. What is the significance of the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## is significant because it allows us to quantitatively analyze the relationship between work and energy. It shows that work done on an object can result in a change in its kinetic energy, and vice versa.

4. Can the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## be applied to all situations in the Work-Energy Theorem?

Yes, the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## can be applied to all situations in the Work-Energy Theorem, as long as the force and displacement are both in the same direction. If the force and displacement are not parallel, the equation can be modified to account for the angle between them.

5. How does the equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## relate to the Law of Conservation of Energy in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The equation ##U=\int F\times d\vec{r}## is a direct representation of the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the Work-Energy Theorem, this equation shows that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, demonstrating the conservation of energy in mechanical systems.