Potential energy of a dipole in an external field

However, the potential energy of the two charges is a constant and does not affect the dynamics of the dipole in the external field. Therefore, it is often ignored in calculations. This is similar to the concept of renormalization in physics, where we subtract out infinities that do not affect the physical behavior of a system.
etotheipi
I'm considering the arrangement shown below. Let the positive charge be ##q##, and the negative be ##-q##. To derive the potential energy of this configuration, one usually adds the potential energies of both of the charges in the external field, taking the zero volts equipotential of the external field to be along the line at ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}##.

##U = qV_{1} - qV_{2} = q \times -\frac{Ed}{2}\cos{\theta} - q \times \frac{Ed}{2}\cos{\theta} = -E(qd)\cos{\theta} = -\vec{E} \cdot \vec{p}## where ##\vec{p} = q\vec{d}##.

1583594528916.png

My question is, why isn't the potential energy of the two charges ##U_{3} = -\frac{q^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}d^{2}}## also included in the summation above?

Since, for any collection of charged particles, the potential energies of subsystems can be added pairwise (i.e. ##-\Delta U = (W_{12} + W_{21}) + (W_{13} + W_{31}) + (W_{23} + W_{32}) = -\Delta U_{a} - \Delta U_{b} - \Delta U_{c}##. And to me, there seem to be three charged things at play here: the source (whatever it happens to be, e.g. perhaps an infinite charged sheet), and the two charges.

Consequently, the potential energy should be the sum of that of the source and +ve charge, the source and -ve charge, and the two charges. Although I think this might be incorrect since I haven't defined ##0V## to be at infinite distance!

Physics news on Phys.org
##U_3## is simply a constant and doesn't do anything to the dynamics of the dipole in the external field. As any additive constants in the energy, they are physically insignifant.

That's a great gift in this context, because otherwise you'd also need the energy for each point charge itself, and this diverges. You can simply subtract this diverging infinite "self-energy".

That's the first place in physics where you renormalize. Renormalization thus not only occurs in quantum field theory but already in classical field theory. The only trouble with the classical theory is that for accelerating point charges there's no satisfactory exact solution for the problem of infinities. The best we can do is to use the Landau-Lifshitz prescription to cure the oddities of the (in)famous Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac equation for the motion of charged particles including radiation reaction.

• Love
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
My question is, why isn't the potential energy of the two charges ##U_{3} = -\frac{q^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}d^{2}}## also included in the summation above?

Correction: ##U_3=-\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}d}.##

Likes etotheipi
kuruman said:
Correction: ##U_3=-\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}d}.##

Yep, bad mistake :oldeyes:

etotheipi said:
To derive the potential energy of this configuration, one usually adds the potential energies of both of the charges in the external field, taking the zero volts equipotential of the external field to be along the line at θ=π2θ=π2\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}.

You are calculating the work it takes to rotate the dipole in the given field.

etotheipi said:
My question is, why isn't the potential energy of the two charges [...] also included in the summation above?

This is the work done to assemble the dipole in the absence of the given field.

You could add the two together if you were interested in calculating the work it takes to assemble the dipole in the absence of any external field, and then to rotate it in the given field.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi

1. What is potential energy of a dipole in an external field?

The potential energy of a dipole in an external field is the amount of energy required to bring the dipole from an infinite distance to a particular position in the external field.

2. How is the potential energy of a dipole in an external field calculated?

The potential energy of a dipole in an external field is calculated using the formula U = -pEcosθ, where U is the potential energy, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, E is the strength of the external field, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the external field.

3. What is the relationship between the potential energy and the orientation of the dipole in an external field?

The potential energy of a dipole in an external field is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle between the dipole moment and the external field. This means that the potential energy is highest when the dipole moment is aligned with the external field, and lowest when the dipole moment is perpendicular to the external field.

4. How does the potential energy of a dipole change when the external field is varied?

The potential energy of a dipole in an external field changes as the external field is varied. As the strength of the external field increases, the potential energy of the dipole decreases. Similarly, as the angle between the dipole moment and the external field changes, the potential energy also changes.

5. What is the significance of the potential energy of a dipole in an external field?

The potential energy of a dipole in an external field is important in understanding the behavior of dipoles in electric fields. It helps predict the orientation of dipoles in an external field and can be used to calculate the work done on a dipole as it moves in an external field. This concept is also important in many applications, such as in the study of molecular interactions and in the design of electronic devices.