What does the vertical line in this equation mean?

In summary, the vertical line with the "I_b" on the bottom right in the given image likely represents the constant Ib ratio at which the equation is evaluated for the dynamic emitter collector resistance of a bipolar transistor. This ratio is the change in emitter collector voltage over the change in collector current.
APUGYael
Hey,

What does the vertical line with the "I_b" on the bottom right mean?
Link here: https://imgur.com/a/nII9g

Thanks,

-Yael

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe it means the ratio is evaluated at a constant Ib

It usually means "evaluated at". It indicates the point where derivatives are calculated to actually turn into a linear approximation. As there is no derivative, I assume that either ##c## is approaching ##b## or at least ##b \in I_c## and ##I_c## is closing down on ##\{b\}##.

For the record, the image reads ##r_{ce} = \left.\dfrac{\Delta U_{ce}}{\Delta I_c}\right|_{I_b}## but maybe it means something else, as it looks like a physical equation.

@fresh_42 I believe the equation is the dynamic emitter collector resistance for a bipolar transistor. in this case the ratio of the change in emitter collector voltage over the change in the collector current.

gleem said:
@fresh_42 I believe the equation is the dynamic emitter collector resistance for a bipolar transistor. in this case the ratio of the change in emitter collector voltage over the change in the collector current.
I suspected something like this. Actually I had a déjà vu as I wrote the answer, which was why I added the physical possibility. Strange thing.

Related to What does the vertical line in this equation mean?

What does the vertical line in this equation mean?

The vertical line in an equation is called a "bar" or "pipe" and has several different meanings depending on the context of the equation. In general, the vertical line indicates some type of separation or division between different parts of the equation.

Is the vertical line always used in equations?

No, the vertical line is not always used in equations. It is typically used in equations that involve absolute value, conditional statements, or set notation. In other types of equations, the vertical line may not have any meaning or may not be used at all.

Does the vertical line have a specific mathematical value?

No, the vertical line itself does not have a specific mathematical value. It is simply used as a symbol to represent a specific operation or concept within an equation. The value of the vertical line is determined by the numbers or variables on either side of it.

How is the vertical line different from the equal sign?

The vertical line and the equal sign have different roles in an equation. The equal sign is used to show that two expressions are equal, while the vertical line is used to indicate a specific operation or concept within the equation. Additionally, the vertical line is typically used in more complex equations, while the equal sign is used in basic arithmetic equations.

Can the vertical line be used in any type of equation?

No, the vertical line cannot be used in any type of equation. It is typically used in equations that involve absolute value, conditional statements, or set notation. In other types of equations, the vertical line may not have any meaning or may not be used at all.