What Does the Mysterious Symbol in a Formal Proof Represent?

In summary: If it's something else, then all the eigenvalues of that matrix would be 0, and you'd get weird oscillations.
sa1988
The below image shows the end part of a formal proof of the inertia tensor. There's a weird symbol in there that I've never seen before, and google isn't bringing much in the way of explanation.

Anybody know what it is? At a guess I'd say it has quite a strong connection to the Kronecker delta in the step above, but a definitive answer would be great. Thanks

3356uxw.png

Physics news on Phys.org
http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-letter.pdf

Page 52 gives the LaTex (AMS) description "binary negative entail", naively I'd say that does sound like it'd fit with being a more formal definition of whatever category contains the Kronecker delta. Further attempts at squeezing meaningful links out this symbol lead to vague hints about it being to do with model theory. Which immediately filled me with existential dread. Sorry I can't be of any more help to you, I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Likes sa1988
That PDF is gigantic! How did you manage to find it specifically in there?!

Either way, yeah it's an odd one. I can fathom out what it means, based on the step above, but it would be interested to see it properly defined.

You could compare the latex mnemonic for that symbol with the kronecker delta you expect to see if a simple typo caused it.

There are over 300 with the string "dash" in them, haha

It almost looks like the rendering of \mathbb{1} (for the identity matrix) went horribly wrong.
Edit: \mathbb{1} doesn't render properly (irony!), but \mathbb{I} gets pretty close: ##\mathbb{I}##
2nd edit: Better yet, with the double underline: ##\underline{\underline{\mathbb{I}}}##

Likes sa1988
TeethWhitener said:
It almost looks like the rendering of \mathbb{1} (for the identity matrix) went horribly wrong.
Edit: \mathbb{1} doesn't render properly (irony!), but \mathbb{I} gets pretty close: ##\mathbb{I}##
2nd edit: Better yet, with the double underline: ##\underline{\underline{\mathbb{I}}}##

Sorry for the late reply. I don't come on here much.

I just came back to this thread to say that I've figured it out, but it looks like I was beaten to it!

It certainly must be the identity matrix.

I came across it again in the same lecture notes, at a part covering oscillations using a Lagrangian formulation and finding normal modes using eigenvalues of the resulting matrix construction.

After a bit of careful checking, it now seems obvious that the weird symbol is supposed to be the identity matrix. The image below demonstrates it pretty well (from the original tensor matrix notes I was dealing with before).

j67uq8.png

That would obviously only work if the symbol there is actually the identity matrix.

Related to What Does the Mysterious Symbol in a Formal Proof Represent?

What does this symbol mean?

This is a very broad question that can refer to any symbol. In order to provide an accurate answer, it would be helpful to know which symbol you are referring to. Symbols can have different meanings in different contexts, cultures, and disciplines. It is important to research the specific symbol in question to determine its meaning.

How can I determine the meaning of a symbol?

There are several ways to determine the meaning of a symbol. You can research its history, cultural significance, and use in different contexts. You can also consult experts or reference materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, and databases. Additionally, examining the context in which the symbol appears can provide clues to its meaning.

What is the difference between a symbol and a sign?

A symbol is a representation of an idea, concept, or object that goes beyond its literal meaning. It is often open to interpretation and can have multiple meanings. A sign, on the other hand, is a visual representation that conveys a specific message or instruction. Signs are typically more straightforward and have a clear meaning.

Can symbols have different meanings in different cultures?

Yes, symbols can have different meanings in different cultures. A symbol that is considered positive in one culture may have a negative connotation in another. It is important to be aware of cultural differences and to research the symbol in question within its cultural context to understand its meaning.

How do symbols impact communication and understanding?

Symbols play a significant role in communication and understanding. They can convey complex ideas and emotions that words may not be able to express. However, symbols can also be misinterpreted or have different meanings for different people, which can lead to misunderstandings. It is important to consider the context and cultural implications of symbols in order to effectively communicate and understand their meaning.