The (E) theory: A new attempt to unify EM and gravity

Lorentz-Einstein Law. This is a good result. In summary, this paper presents a new mathematical operation that allows for a re-writing of the Maxwell's EM field tensor and momentum-energy tensor. This operation is rooted in tensor calculus and can be addressed to a spin-spin self-interaction. It also suggests a connection with the variations of 3-D volumes and with quantum mechanics. This theory is at variance with currently accepted theories in its approach to the EM potential vector, as it suggests substituting it with the cube* locally defining the extended vector product. It has also been shown to incorporate the anomalous Hall effect. The formalism for the Maxwell's EM tensor in this theory
The (E) attempt is the theory that tries to find a meaningful mathematical correspondence between the set of all particular expressions of the Lorentz Einstein Law, say S(LEL), and the set of all particular expressions of the Schrödinger equation, say S(SE). Such a search is motivated by a now more than eighty years old problem which is the need to find an equivalence between two fundamental and sometimes but not always equivalent descriptions of the nature. Both theories, the GTR and the QM, do have excellent experimental confirmations but none of the high performing schools, universities or communities was able, until now, to furnish a tool to connect them correctly despite the evident fact that they are describing the same universe: ours. These theories are in someway like two persons speaking a different language and looking for the lexicon that will give them the possibility to translate their respective thoughts. They implicitly know that they are thinking about the same topics but none of them can understand what the other is really saying. Thus we were looking for a dictionary. The (E) attempt is the first proposition for this book. It tries to define the set of the correspondences between concepts developed in each theory. In this sense it firstly appears to be a mathematical theory more than a physical one; but the topic is concerning physics so deeply that one can never escape from it. In fact, and it is a situation in opposition with some initial hopes of the construction, this attempt does not put GTR and QM into the same pot. It only draws the links between the two sisters. Mathematically, these links are quadratic forms (the conoides in our language) between the positions space of the GTR related to any connection (flat or not) and the spinors space of the QM related to the flat connection of the Minkowskian space. Physically, these same links are interpreted as being the expressions of some “loops” or “derives” along some (actually not clearly defined) paths of which the property is to project the Riemannian space of the GTR onto the flat space of the QM. These derives or loops are shifting one set to the other one. Since S(LEL) and S(SE) are describing the same particles, these derives should be the equivalent representation, in the language of the transformations, of the particles.

This is the hope of the (E) attempt.

Now, I think I did try to explain my theory in the best way I could hope to do it. The discussion can begin (but I think there will be no one). Best regards. Have a good sunday evening

Physics news on Phys.org
Amazingly I am not the only one making this analyze concerning the connections between the GTR and QM. It is the item of the future discussion between Smolin and Darmour in June in Paris... (see other thread in beyond the standard model)

Otherwise and despite the fact that nobody seems to be ready to have any discussion with me (it's sad), I propose you this new contribution: etgb98.pdf.

Lorentz Einstein Law / Extended products / equivalent scalar / energy and ... Ricci flow?

You can always read the homepage http://www.vacuum-world-net.eu for more explorations

Last edited by a moderator:
A new procedure to find masses?

Dear members,
your absence of reaction was motivating my own silence. This does not mean that I was not looking attentively the evolution of the debates; for example: the “war” between LQG and ST. After having been hearing via Internet the debate between L. Smolin and Th. Damour in Paris (6 Juny 2007; n. b.: you have a link on the forum “Beyond the standard model” at www.cite-sciences.fr/[/URL]), even if a fair confrontation can only re-enforce the foundations of each theory, the actual situation appears to my amateur's eyes a little bit strange. Each “school” has(d) good reasons to develop its strategy like it did during the 30 past years (short said: efficiency, rapidity, results for the american way; extensive and general explorations for the european way). Applying a principle of tolerance and freedom lead us to respect the respective choices. But the layman (and the citizen) has also the right to ask: “What did they do with my money? Where are the results? What did we really learn from this research? Where are the new products that could be develop thanks the progresses of this fundamental research?” That was all these things that I was thinking about today morning, doing the beens to help my wife and dreaming about my own research. That's exactly that: I was thinking that we are a special kind of people: “Dreamers; dreaming the future; trying to reveal the exact structure of the nature.”

All news are not bad. The Gravity probe B experiment could give us a very recent confirmation of Einstein's work; for ex. Coming back to the former post. You never react to my propositions; so, I cannot know if it is correct or no; the number of “click” on my thread is the only possibility for me to get an image of my work... (But Mortimer who did make no more intervention since a year also get some “clicks”!) I don't know what you are thinking about me or my approach. And it makes things complicated. Amateurs like me get the feeling that they are doing a stupid quest or that they are totally at the wrong place here. But I am neither a spy nor a dealer or a bad boy; I am only a dentist and I like physics.

The last work calls for an explanation. The procedure might sounds a little bit crazy or at least strange. In a first and too rapid critic, one would reject it because it is supposing that the Lorenz Einstein Law (LEL) could be not exactly true or that the equation of motion of a particle could be under the influence of something else modifying the LEL describing a first and given particle.

But this first reaction would forget at least two things:
1)I can imagine the existence in vacuum (the cosmological one; not the quantic approach of this notion) of a see of waves (with a average volumetric density of energy equivalent to 10 – 29 kg/cubic meter) and correlatively: of a function describing the local distribution of the energy. (In a similar way that has been used to describe semi-conductor with the Boltzman equality).
2)The quantum approach admits the spontaneous birth of particles. It is not forbidden to believe that the behavior of each of these particles is also represented by a LEL. Their existence is a natural explanation for a perturbation of the LEL describing the first particle under consideration.
I thus have two good reasons to accept the eventuality for S (the scalar associated to a representation of the LEL) not to vanish. And so, two physical motivations to introduce S.

The other non explained hypothesis that I did make is the following. I decided to correlate the non vanishing S to the non vanishing of a Hessian. (At the beginning of my quest, I must give it, I thought it was possible to connect S with the Laplacian of the potential of gravitation. It would have been a great result of my approach if it would have work in that way; but it didn't!).

This investigation finaly results in 3 relations. The first one tells us a comfortable story: the more the duration (dt) is long, the more (Toutes choses étant égales par ailleurs) S vanish. That is: the more the LEL of the first particle under consideration becomes true again after having been perturbated by any phenomenon. Great, isn't?

I leave the second relation for the end because it receives a clear explanation via the third one. (See the document in attachment). For me it has the advantage to explain what the h function is (wave function of the particle for example). Correlatively, what the Hessian of this function could be.

The second relation, if interpreted as a special formulation of the relation: mass by speed is invariant, tells us the circumstances for which this approach makes sense and yields the masses for these circumstances...

Is this a new road in physics to describe and to discover the spectrum of real masses (energy)? I believe it. Please help me to understand if it is true or not. I get f... up to work alone. Is there any professor here to help me? Sorry for the complaint. Oh I must come back to the kitchen and help my wife for the preparation of the lunch.

Thanks for your attention. Bye.

Hello:

I was the second person to respond to your thread, so you should know my reaction. I don't think you are either 1. right, or 2. wrong. There is a third, much wider possibility: 3. you are not understandable. I vote for 3.

As a simple example, let's discuss the LEL. I have MANY books on special relativity and general relativity. Not a one of them uses those three letters, LEL, to describe any of Einstein's work. I know English is not your first language, but you need to use the vocabulary of physics to communicate with physicists. The Lorentz transformation law has to do with special relativity, and gravity probe B has to do with general relativity. The equations for these two topics are very different. At all costs, avoid making up new jargon.

It is clear you have a bunch of technical words in your head, and you have constructed a web of connections. Since your words are used in different ways from practicing physicists, it is not possible to follow the way you interconnect them.

When I started working in physics, I babbled like a baby babbles: put together words I don't actually understand in ways that don't make sense. I was aware of this, and mostly kept to myself (my own mother did get to hear some of this early stuff). I went and read stuff, lots of books and papers. I also spent much time participating in the newsgroup sci.physics.research. At the time, it was an active place of discussion.

Over a period of two decades, I have gotten better at speaking coherent physics. Yet I do still mess up. Professors today are professors due to their intellectual precision with words and ideas. I have accepted that I will never get to that level, my mind is too loose a cannon. I try and see new things, and put them in reasonable technical packages.

It is my opinion - and only an opinion - that you do not speak the language of physics close enough to the way it needs to be spoken to be understood. This would explain the observation that no one is entering a dialog with you. I want to make clear that I am not offering to teach you how to become clear. I hope you had a good lunch.

doug

sweetser said:
Hello:

I was the second person to respond to your thread, so you should know my reaction. I don't think you are either 1. right, or 2. wrong. There is a third, much wider possibility: 3. you are not understandable. I vote for 3.

Well... It could be that you are right. It is difficult to introduce a new way of thinking, new roads to explore...

sweetser said:
As a simple example, let's discuss the LEL. I have MANY books on special relativity and general relativity. Not a one of them uses those three letters, LEL, to describe any of Einstein's work. I know English is not your first language, but you need to use the vocabulary of physics to communicate with physicists. The Lorentz transformation law has to do with special relativity, and gravity probe B has to do with general relativity. The equations for these two topics are very different. At all costs, avoid making up new jargon.

The LEL is the equation resulting from an easy confrontation and can be seen in a lot of books (I read a german one called : Allgemeine.Relativitäts.Theorie. from Torsten; 2003<means Generalized Theory of Relativity for you>). On the left side (for example) you write the total derivate of the speed vector (4D); on the other side you write the Faraday-Maxwell tensor and you multiply it by the 4D speed vector. It is also explained in the documents that I did upload on this forum...

sweetser said:
It is clear you have a bunch of technical words in your head, and you have constructed a web of connections. Since your words are used in different ways from practicing physicists, it is not possible to follow the way you interconnect them.

My point of view lies on the idea that if you are not able to confront different parts of the physics, then you are not able to built a general theory. You are specializing on a given topic. I am not saying that it is wrong or bad but this is not my purpose.

sweetser said:
When I started working in physics, I babbled like a baby babbles: put together words I don't actually understand in ways that don't make sense. I was aware of this, and mostly kept to myself (my own mother did get to hear some of this early stuff). I went and read stuff, lots of books and papers. I also spent much time participating in the newsgroup sci.physics.research. At the time, it was an active place of discussion.

Over a period of two decades, I have gotten better at speaking coherent physics. Yet I do still mess up. Professors today are professors due to their intellectual precision with words and ideas. I have accepted that I will never get to that level, my mind is too loose a cannon. I try and see new things, and put them in reasonable technical packages.

It is my opinion - and only an opinion - that you do not speak the language of physics close enough to the way it needs to be spoken to be understood. This would explain the observation that no one is entering a dialog with you. I want to make clear that I am not offering to teach you how to become clear. I hope you had a good lunch.

doug

Thanks; the lunch was excellent. Have a nice day. Blackforest.

Trying to explain better

First of all, I want to apologize; the reference for the LEL is written by the Pr. Torsten. Fliessbach (His name).

Let us come back to the first argument proposed to introduce the scalar S: …“I can imagine the existence in vacuum (the cosmological one; not the quantum approach of this notion) of a see of waves (with a average volumetric density of energy equivalent to 10 – 29 kg/cubic meter) and correlatively: of a function describing the local distribution of the energy. (In a similar way that has been used to describe semi-conductor with the Boltzman equality)”...

My reference here is a German book with the title: “Physik; Moleküle und Festkörper; Horst Hänsel, Werner Neumann; Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg, Berlin, Oxford; 1996. Pages 522-525”. In this reference, one is speaking about electrons and it has been made the hypothesis that df = 0.

Since I have no time to work with tex, I prefer to send an attached document. Best regards.

Blackforest said:
First of all, I want to apologize; the reference for the LEL is written by the Pr. Torsten. Fliessbach (His name).

Let us come back to the first argument proposed to introduce the scalar S: …“I can imagine the existence in vacuum (the cosmological one; not the quantum approach of this notion) of a see of waves (with a average volumetric density of energy equivalent to 10 – 29 kg/cubic meter) and correlatively: of a function describing the local distribution of the energy. (In a similar way that has been used to describe semi-conductor with the Boltzman equality)”...

My reference here is a German book with the title: “Physik; Moleküle und Festkörper; Horst Hänsel, Werner Neumann; Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg, Berlin, Oxford; 1996. Pages 522-525”. In this reference, one is speaking about electrons and it has been made the hypothesis that df = 0.

Since I have no time to work with tex, I prefer to send an attached document. Best regards.

Sorry; erratum: there is naturally a big mistake at the end of this etgb983.doc document. But I am sure you did understand the idea and make the correction yourself. I should have written:
0 = c. grad f + c. (...). u. {[F]. u} - ... S + ...
It does not change the spirit of this small section.

Best regards

So, you did make the correction and find something like that:

Gradient (W). u + u. [F]. u + S + (1/c). ([symbol]d[/symbol]W/[symbol]d[/symbol]t) = 0​

Obviously, S owns the units of a power. If the idea to correlate this scalar S with a Hessian makes sense (as developed and explained in etgb98.pdf), then we get the first relation of coherence:

T = dx. Hess(h). dx = S. dt​

The scalar T that can be now understood as a kind of projection of the Hessian of h has consequently the units of an energy. We thus discover a posteriori that the scenario proposed in etgb98.pdf is connecting a certain modification of the Euclidian curvature (given by the Hessian) with the apparition of a certain amount of energy.

With other words, I am making the “toy” hypothesis that temporary modifications of the energetic state (for example in vacuum), respecting the Heisenberg’s principle of uncertainty, can be due to the birth of particles and correspond to a perturbation in the evolution of the local curvature. Do you understand me? Do you understand this idea? Do you agree with?

The domain of validity of my toy model is given by the second relation of coherence in etgb98.pdf. The metric must be Einstein and the masses associated with this toy scenario are the eigenvalues of the matrix of the masses which is proportional to the representation of the metric tensor. Example given: at the Minkowskian limit, we get only two values (+ 1, - 1) corresponding a priori to a particle and its anti-particle (+ m, - m).

If we accept the Big-Bang scenario (what I am doing), we accept the idea of a permanent expansion of the universe. But it takes place in a 4D structure, not only in a 3D one. This means it takes also place in the time dimension, here. So we should not be obliged to look very far to observe effects of this permanent expansion…

Do we really know the mechanism of expansion of our universe, do we know the boarder between something (where the universe still exists) and nothing (where it was not yet present)?

Best regards.

Just want to say thank you (for the place on this forum, for your patience), sorry and good bye (because the professional research is not for me). I continue my crazzy project on a personal blog, just for fun, just to learn and perhaps to bring something positive to the community of physicists (who knows?). Best regards and all the best for all.

If someone here is still interested by my personal research, there is the possibility to look at:

http://thperiat.neufblog.com​

This is the new adress of my homepage. It is mainly written in the French language (of course) but I also develop a small corner for English speaking readers (see the link on the right side of the page). The old home page is still runing until the 16 July 2007 and will disappear after this date.

Best regards.

Résumé (less than 2000 words)

Based on an extension of the tensor calculus we define an extended product on a four dimensional Banach space and, generalizing a basic scholar principle, we explore the set of all possible splits of these products. A technique, essentially built on a comparison with the projection of an Hessian, is developed and it allows the discovery of a special family of splits minimizing the scalars that can be associated with. This technique is then applied to the customary expression of the Lorentz Einstein law and yields three relations of coherence. Since the scalar associated with this law is a power (force multiplied by speed) and since the procedure is finally connecting this scalar linearly with the Hessian of the wave function of the particles under study in a way directly involving the local geometric connection, we predict that our approach is a good theoretical tool to scrutinize situations with a “Einstein” metric. It could yield the masses for the particles concerned by these situations.

See etf31v4.pdf (in French language)
See the beginning of the work in English language: etgb98.pdf​

basics for a gauge theory?

The recent development of my approach are the documents NC.pdf (Enghlish) and mce.pdf (French). I try to built a gauge theory in N = 4 dimensions, starting from the Lorenz Einstein law and the introduction of "my" extended products. For this I try to find and define all the ingredients. I think it is a great challenge for a man like me, but so fascinating. Hope you can find some interrest in this approach. Probably nothing very new for the professionals, but at least a way for students. Perhaps a collection of the mistakes that should no more be repeated after me. Have fun.

(E) Theory, local metric tensor and gauge field.

It's extremely difficult to make a "resumé" of my work (NC.pdf or quite more naive etgb28.pdf in english; mce.pdf in my language) but I shall try to do it. Believing that geometry is influencing our way to think and calculate, naively applying this intuition to the behavior of particles I define the extended product position by speed for any particle. Any such product is supposed to split in a set of pairs belonging to M4(R) x (E4, R). The way how it splits is depending on the "underground" geometry. The discovery of the pais is one of the many challenges of this theory.

Starting "à priori" with this idea, I admit, like everybody here, that the initial characteristics of the motion of the particle can be eventually changed by the action of a force and I "pré" suppose that the action of this force perturbates the split. The work gives a scenario to discover the generic formalism of the new split or of the split attached to the action (consifdering that a force is also representing a kind of particle). I then impose the condition for any split to be coherent with the solutions of the GRT equations. It yields a surprising (for me) relation that seems to be one of the two necessary relations giving to the components g[tex]_a_b[/tex] of the local metric tensor the property to be a gauge field.

Next coming soon...

In the second part of the document I make a kind of "disgression" into the world of mathematics and study the notion of derivate. I discover, among other things, that a vector space (E4,R) equipped with an extended product of which the cube defining it owns the ad hoc properties is a Lie algebra. For us the Christoffel's cube is not interesting. The Riemann-Christoffel's curvature tensor naturally proposes a set of ad hoc cubes (because of some properties of anti-symmetry). The Lie algebra structure can be "exported" to M4(R) via the trivial splits under some conditions. In this sense, the theorem of surjection introduced in the theory is very interesting. At the end, this is giving the hope to establish a kind of isomorphism between the set of extended products under consideration and their representations in M4(R) x (E4,R).

The third part is a specific scenario of me. The existence of an extended product owning at least one split yields an intrinsic relation : b. {a [tex]\wedge[/tex]b - [P]. b - z} = 0. this relation is analyzed and seen as the sum of a linear and of a bilinear part. One first make a fundamental hypothesis concerning the variations of b (see document; introducing a non necessarily continuous function; said H) and then calculates the partial derivates of second order starting from the partial derivates of the first order (classic). After that, a comparison between the result of the calculation and the original bilinear part yields a relation of coherence. Since the H function is not necessarily continuous it can be interesting to define the conditions for which it is. This is, amazingly, yielding a new relation of which the formalism seems to be those of the deviation of some specific geodesic of this theory.

Hope you could understand my speech. Don't forget to give me your opinion. I am actually reading the discussions on the others sub-forums and what i can read concerning the Yang-Mills theory seems to be able to be connected with my approach. The discontinuity of my H function (in my head and in my spirit) has something to do with the (mass)gap.

Best regards

The hope to be again in the reality

There are a lot of interesting discussions on these forums I must say. I recently discovered the work of Garrett Lisi (see Beyond the standard model; A extraordinary simple Theory of everything). I want to thank him for the indirect help contained in his paper. For example it sheds more light on the complicated relationships between mathematics and physics. For the first time in my life I could realized that the Lie structures I was trying to built with my “trivial” matrices could also have something to do with some particles. That was naturally a great day for me. Since I am only an amateur and a man studying very tardy what I did always dreamed to study, I present my work very slowly and piece by piece. Learning and training on the job. Informations he is giving page 4 are particularly important for my own construction.

Even if I now realize the necessity to re-built my approach in including the quaternion numbers into it, from the very beginning, - that is to built my theory not with (E[tex]_4[/tex], R) but with (E[tex]_4[/tex], H) - the procedure can be repeated exactly on the same way.
1) Discover the conditions for which an extended product between two vectors can be assimilated to a Lie bracket.
2) Study attentively this structure (generators, …)
3) Export this structure as far as possible on M(E[tex]_4[/tex], H). Note that one possible representation for these matrices certainly will be (M[tex]_8[/tex], C) where C is now the set of all complex numbers
4) Study the generators, …
And get the pleasant feeling that this construction must not be so far from the E8 approach.

Now, I know, there is still a lot of work to do and much more to learn. But what a peaceful sensation: at the end, after long months of alone working… coming back to the earth, where other people like me are looking for what (our) the reality is.

Thank you

Relative intensity of gravitational and EM field

As recalled in the discussion developed in the other threads, one of the mysteries of physics (and unsolved problem) is the scale problem between the intensity of the EM fields and the intensity of the gravitational fields. One road to surround this problematic (and it is the usual one today) is to believe that the “unity” is recovered for the very high energies (where one expects to obtain circumstances very similar to the initial big-bang).
But can we not imagine another road? Let us abandon for a while our dream to build a cosmology and instead of that let us only start from the evidence: gravitational fields are very tiny but omnipresent. What would it be if the disproportion were not only the result of the time (temporal distance in the actual cosmology starting from the big-bang) but would in some way accelerated by the fact that variations of the second order of the geometry are also producing fields isomorphic to an EM field while the variations of the first order are the origin for the gravitational field (GR approach)? Quantitatively, because of the successive interferences and accumulations, one could expect that the intensity of the EM field would be increasing with the time and would always surpass the intensity of the gravitational field. This is in some way the story contained in ThP04F.pdf (Old document -2004- in French language; pages 25-29).

Concerning the recent developments and the introduction of the quaternions in my work, I could demonstrate the existence of extended products on (E4, H) and the existence of a neutral element acting on the left in some very simple conditions. One can built such a product with the real components of the Riemann Christoffel tensor. The purpose is the construction of a Lie group. The idea is: the components of the tensor, even if very small, are never totally vanishing...

Progress in fundamental research is the result of a long and difficult work. So it is for the comprehension of the E8 Theory and gfroup, so it is for my own construction.

As said before, I actually explore the possibility to built a group on (E4, H) equipped with and extended product built on a cube of quaternions. For this one needs a neutral element. It was not too difficult to find one acting on the left and finally only depending on the real components of the quaternions involved in the cube. I have now discovered that the neutral element acting on the left could also act exactly on the same way (i.e. be a neutrel element acting on the right) if the matrix representing it in M4(R) has the same formalism than the matrix [n] with which one can write the Lorentz transformations matrix in form of an exponential: L(v) = exp {rapidity.[n]}. This seems not to be a hazard and to give a phyical signification to this neutral element inside this approach. I.e. the Lorentz transformations are the representations of this neutral element.

The man who reads (or can read and learn) always get an advantage relatively to the man who cannot get the education and the informations (not new but so important). I recently discovered an article that seems to offer an interesting mathematical background to my calculations. Namely the concepts of "gerbes" and twisted non abelian gerbes... Even if it still is over my head for the details and the complete understanding of the different intrications

www.arXiv.org look for hep-th/0409200v1 20 Sep 2004

I am sure it can be of a great interest for all people working on a better and serious comprehension of E8. It also shows that there is no need to permanently bring the different ways of thinking in opposition. Theories are like different parts of a puzzle and we only have to discover the correct relationships; not to fight together. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, in the work and in the originality.

Best regards

Extended products and Lorentz transformations

This is an illustration of my work with and around the extended products, a kind of continuation of some recent thoughts about the E8 group. I beg your pardon if it is a stupid construction. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy and profit of this intervention to begin some conversations. Best regards

Blackforest said:
This is an illustration of my work with and around the extended products, a kind of continuation of some recent thoughts about the E8 group. I beg your pardon if it is a stupid construction. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy and profit of this intervention to begin some conversations. Best regards

Oops: may be the proposed plausible reprsentation, relation (15), is not correct and should be reduced to a row (with label zero). It does not avoid the realiztion of the important idea: the neutral element exists and can be connected to the Lorentz transformations. The difference is that we have now to consider [n] and its transposed via the exponential to get the transformations.

I come back in a few days with a better version. Thanks