What Does Sink Eight TTL Inputs Mean in the Context of AT89C51's Port 0?

• Thread starter snshusat161
  • Start date
In summary, according to the AT89C51 datasheet, Port 0 is an open-drain bi-directional I/O port. When 1s are written to the pin, it can be used as a high impedance input. A pull-up resistor is required to source current from the pin.
snshusat161
I am trying to master "AT89C51 datasheet" by understanding it completely. But my limited knowledge is hindering me. help me to overcome all obstacles.

Port 0 is an 8-bit open-drain bi-directional I/O port. As an
output port, each pin can sink eight TTL inputs. When 1s
are written to port 0 pins, the pins can be used as highimpedance
inputs.

It says that Port 0 is an open-drain port. Does it mean that it can only sink current and can't source current? On the next line it says that "as an output port, each pin can sink eight TTL inputs." what does 'eight TTL input' mean here? Next it says that "When 1s re written to port 0 pins, the pins can be used as high impedance inputs." Does it mean that when the port 0 pins are set high, they won't sink any more current. They won't source any current either. all the current from the pull-up resistor will drive my circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
snshusat161 said:
It says that Port 0 is an open-drain port. Does it mean that it can only sink current and can't source current?

yes. you need a pull-up resistor to make this source current.

On the next line it says that "as an output port, each pin can sink eight TTL inputs." what does 'eight TTL input' mean here?

it means you can connect it to 8 TTL inputs and it's not too big of a load.

Next it says that "When 1s re written to port 0 pins, the pins can be used as high impedance inputs." Does it mean that when the port 0 pins are set high, they won't sink any more current.

well, the shouldn't sink anything if they are "high". i am not sure if these pins double as inputs, but if they do, i would think you would need a bit to tell the chip that they're inputs instead of outputs. but, conceptually, if you want to use them as input, it makes sense that you write "1" to those bits as outputs, which turns them into a no-connection to ground ("0" virtually shorts the pin to ground with some ability to sink current) and then you could "read" the voltage on those open-drain pins which could be driven by something else.

They won't source any current either. all the current from the pull-up resistor will drive my circuit?

that's the idea of a pull-up resistor. to drive the rest of the devices connected to the pin when your open-collector or open-drain pin cannot supply positive output current to do it.

Related to What Does Sink Eight TTL Inputs Mean in the Context of AT89C51's Port 0?

1. What is the meaning of terminology?

Terminology refers to the specialized vocabulary or set of terms used in a particular field or subject. It is important in scientific research and communication as it allows for precise and accurate communication among scientists.

2. How do scientists develop terminologies?

Terminologies are developed through a process of defining and standardizing terms within a particular field or subject. This may involve conducting research, consulting with experts, and establishing a consensus among professionals.

3. Why is it important to use precise terminology in scientific research?

Precise terminology is crucial in scientific research as it ensures clear and accurate communication among scientists. It also allows for consistency and avoids confusion or misunderstandings in the interpretation of data and findings.

4. Can terminologies change over time?

Yes, terminologies can change over time as scientific knowledge and understanding evolves. New terms may be introduced, while others may become outdated or replaced by more accurate terminology.

5. How can I learn and understand scientific terminologies?

One way to learn and understand scientific terminologies is to read and study scientific literature in the field of interest. It is also helpful to consult with experts and refer to glossaries or dictionaries specific to the subject area.