What does it take for hydrogen to form from protons and electrons?

In summary: The answer quoted in the beginning of the post is incorrect. It is incorrect because it is based on an incorrect idea about how hydrogen forms.
fizz_it
Hi

What does it take for hydrogen to form from protons and electrons?

I have searched quite a bit and the only information that I have so far is from this webpage

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00843.htm

from the webpage
------------------------------
To form a hydrogen atom, it is required that the electron and proton have
almost no energy, almost no velocity relative to each other.
A hydrogen atom ionizes at less than 20 electron-volts of energy, so
reverse ionization requires energy less than about 20 electron-volts (eV)
AND freedom and luck to radiate a photon of the right energy to render the
electron "captured".
It happens all the time in every electrified gas lamp (fluorescents,
neons, mercury-arc, etc), and in the surface layers of the sun.
---------------------------------------

I have looked for proton electron
recombination
reverse ionization
capture
hydrogen formation

and countless other searches. I’ve looked at the Coulomb force but could not tease any useful information out of it. Nor did a search of Schrödinger solution.

There are 389 posts on this website with the word proton in it (now there is 390). The only post that I could find that alludes to this mechanism is

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=17973&highlight=proton

In this post, the question “So in order for the hydrogen proton and electron to recombine, they must combine with the O2 to form water?” is asked
And Russ Watters answers “Essentially yes”

Why must the recombination happen with O2?Any information or literature that could be suggested would be useful.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That answer I gave was within the context of a fuel cell.

What was wrong with the answer quoted in the beginning of your post?

Thanks Russ

I am looking for more in depth information about the capture process.

I really don't expect an answer to the question but rather someone who can point me in the right direction, something to read.

Related to What does it take for hydrogen to form from protons and electrons?

1. What is the process of hydrogen formation from protons and electrons?

Hydrogen formation from protons and electrons is known as the fusion process. It occurs when two protons combine to form a nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of light and heat. This fusion process is what powers the sun and other stars.

2. Can hydrogen form without the presence of protons and electrons?

No, hydrogen formation requires the presence of both protons and electrons. Protons carry a positive charge, while electrons carry a negative charge. The attraction between these two opposite charges is what causes them to combine and form hydrogen.

3. What conditions are necessary for hydrogen to form from protons and electrons?

In order for hydrogen to form from protons and electrons, extremely high temperatures and pressures are required. These conditions are found in the core of stars, where the fusion process takes place.

4. How does hydrogen formation contribute to the universe?

Hydrogen formation is essential for the creation of heavy elements in the universe. When stars fuse hydrogen atoms together, they create heavier elements such as carbon, oxygen, and iron. These elements are then dispersed into space when stars explode, and can eventually form new stars and planets.

5. Is hydrogen formation a continuous process?

Yes, hydrogen formation is a continuous process in the universe as long as stars are active and undergoing fusion. However, the rate at which hydrogen is formed may vary depending on the size, type, and age of the star.