What does it mean when the second derivative has no real solutions?

• Thread starter rectifryer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the original function Y=\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{(2x+1)} has a first derivative of y' = \frac{(-x-2)}{(2x+1)^2\sqrt{1-x^2}}, a second derivative of y'' = \frac{4x^3+12^2-7}{(2x+1)^3(1-x^2)^(3/2)}, and a domain of [-1,-1/2)U(-1/2,1]. The function has no points of inflection and its concavity can be determined by the sign of y''. The function intersects the y-axis at (0,1).
rectifryer

Homework Statement

Y=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{(2x+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I took the first derivative which I believe to be:

[itex]\frac{(-x-2)}{(2x+1)^2\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex]

I also took the third which I believe to be:
[itex]\frac{4x^3+12^2-7}{(2x+1)^3(1-x^2)^(3/2)}[/itex]

I am trying to find zeros of the derivatives and they are all seemingly outside the domain of the original. I don't know what to do in a case like this. There appears to be no real solutions for the second derivative. What does this all mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
rectifryer said:

Homework Statement

Y=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{(2x+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I took the first derivative which I believe to be:

[itex]\frac{(-x-2)}{(2x+1)^2\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex]
This is also what I get. You should identify this expression as y' = ...
rectifryer said:
I also took the third which I believe to be:
Third? Don't you mean second? I didn't check your work on this one, so I can't vouch for its correctness.
rectifryer said:
[itex]\frac{4x^3+12^2-7}{(2x+1)^3(1-x^2)^(3/2)}[/itex]

I am trying to find zeros of the derivatives and they are all seemingly outside the domain of the original. I don't know what to do in a case like this. There appears to be no real solutions for the second derivative. What does this all mean?

Looking at y', its only zero is at x = -2, which is not in the domain of the original function. This means that the equation y' = 0 has no (real) solutions, so the original function has no points at which the tangent line is horizontal.

If you graph the original function, you should see that it is strictly decreasing or strictly increasing on each of the two disjoint parts of its domain. Compare to y = 1/x, whose domain is x ≠ 0. On the left half of its domain, the graph is strictly increasing; on the right half of its domain, the graph is strictly increasing. Overall, the graph is neither increasing nor decreasing, because of the discontinuity at x = 0.

When you have a fractional function like that, what you should do also is find the asymptotes (horizontal and vertical).

What value of x will make y tend to infinity? Also write down the domain of your function.

And where does your function intersect the y-axis?

The function's domain is [-1,-1/2)U(-1/2,1]

VA @ x=-1/2
HA @ y=+-1

Correct?

Also,

Those two derivatives are y' and y''. My apologies, thanks for correcting.

The function intersects the y-axis at (0,1).

Mark44 said:
If you graph the original function, you should see that it is strictly decreasing or strictly increasing on each of the two disjoint parts of its domain

How can I determine concavity if y'' has no real solutions?

If the second derivitive has no real solutions, then there are no points of inflection. But there still is a concavity to the slope.

rectifryer said:
How can I determine concavity if y'' has no real solutions?
To be more precise, what you should say is that the equation y'' = 0 has no real solutions. If so, that means that on each interval in the domain of y'', y'' is either positive at each point or else y'' is negative at each point. Where y'' > 0, the graph of the original function is concave up; where y'' < 0, the graph of the orig. function is concave down.

Related to What does it mean when the second derivative has no real solutions?

1. What is curve sketching?

Curve sketching is a technique used in mathematics to represent a graph of a function. It involves identifying important features of the function, such as intercepts, maxima and minima, and asymptotes, in order to sketch a visual representation of the function.

2. How is concavity determined?

Concavity refers to the curvature of a function, and it can be determined by finding the second derivative of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up, and if it is negative, the function is concave down.

3. Why is concavity important in curve sketching?

Concavity is important in curve sketching because it helps us to understand the behavior of a function. A concave up function has a positive slope and is increasing, while a concave down function has a negative slope and is decreasing. This information is useful in identifying key points on the graph, such as local maxima and minima.

4. How do inflection points relate to concavity?

An inflection point is a point on the graph where the concavity changes from concave up to concave down, or vice versa. This occurs when the second derivative of the function is equal to zero. Inflection points can also help us identify the direction of concavity of a function.

5. Can a function have multiple inflection points?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. This occurs when the second derivative changes sign multiple times, resulting in changes in the concavity of the function. These points can be identified by setting the second derivative equal to zero and solving for the x-values.