What does"double-infinities" mean?

• I
  • Thread starter Nipon Waiyaworn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
No need to do so. @Evo's post has been meant as an advise in advance (I think). Beside our forum rules, the reason why they exist is more important than the fact they are rules. This is a public forum, so in principle 7,434,929,364 , 7,434,929,365 , 7,434,929,366 , 7,434,929,367 ... people can read everything. I do not speculate on potential aliens visiting our planet which could read them as well, as such a hypothesis must not be discussed here either, for, which I believe, obvious reasons. Anyway, these are a lot of people and, sorry to tell you that, some of them
Nipon Waiyaworn
Hello everyone
Help me please...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nipon Waiyaworn said:
Hello everyone
Help me please...
Can you provide some context?

fresh_42 said:
Can you provide some context?
yes!
context: In a recent article MacKinnon describes four methods that may be used to find square roots of 2*2 matrices. The first of these methods requires that the matrix for which the square roots are sought be diagonalizable and, subsequently, this method was used by Scott to determine all the square roots of 2*2 matrices. A surprising conclusion is that scalar 2*2 matrices possesses double-infinities of square roots whereas non-scalar 2*2 matrices have only a finite number of square roots.
The purpose of this article is to show how the Cayley Hamilton theorem may be used to determine explicit formulae for all the square of 2*2 matrices. These formulae indicate exactly when a 2*@ matrix has square roots, and the number of such roots.

It is still rather unclear, I think. It could for example be a set of square roots indexed by ##\mathbb{Z}##, or a set of square roots indexed by a pair ##(m,n) \in \mathbb{N}^2##, or...
Nipon Waiyaworn said:
(...) this method was used by Scott to determine all the square roots of 2*2 matrices. A surprising conclusion is that scalar 2*2 matrices possesses double-infinities of square roots whereas non-scalar 2*2 matrices have only a finite number of square roots.
Maybe look up the article by Scott that this abstract refers to? There it is probably explained with "double infinities" exactly means in this context.

Krylov said:
It is still rather unclear, I think. It could for example be a set of square roots indexed by ##\mathbb{Z}##, or a set of square roots indexed by a pair ##(m,n) \in \mathbb{N}^2##, or...

Maybe look up the article by Scott that this abstract refers to? There it is probably explained with "double infinities" exactly means in this context.
From information of the article that I read,
a following example is made by me;
EX1 Find all of square roots of A=[0,0;0,0]
from formula in the article we get
X=[a,b;c,-a] , a^2+bc=0
show that A has a double infinity of square roots
I don't get "A has a double infinity of square roots"

Nipon Waiyaworn said:
From information of the article that I read,
a following example is made by me;
EX1 Find all of square roots of A=[0,0;0,0]
from formula in the article we get
X=[a,b;c,-a] , a^2+bc=0
show that A has a double infinity of square roots
I don't get "A has a double infinity of square roots"
I read it as: there are infinitely many values for b and infinitely many values of c which satisfy the equation for a, so double infinitely many. It looks like a parameterization of the solutions. It is a bit unusual to call it this way and I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I don't think there is any value to it.

fresh_42 said:
I read it as: there are infinitely many values for b and infinitely many values of c which satisfy the equation for a, so double infinitely many. It looks like a parameterization of the solutions. It is a bit unusual to call it this way and I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I don't think there is any value to it.
In simple talk, we can change a to c or b that is there are infinitely many values for b and infinitely many values of a which satisfy the equation for c or, there are infinitely many values for c and infinitely many values of a which satisfy the equation for b. (which don't only satisfy the equation for a) ?
Sorry I use English language that incorrect maybe, I am Thai,am not good in English language. Importantly, I need to have friends that use English language mainly, request for their Facebook,instargram or etc for chatting with them for development in Eng.

Nipon Waiyaworn said:
Sorry I use English language that incorrect maybe, I am Thai,am not good in English language. Importantly, I need to have friends that use English language mainly, request for their Facebook,instargram or etc for chatting with them for development in Eng.
You will get plenty of exposure to English here on the forum, we do not encourage soliciting private contact. Over time, you may make friends, otherwise, it is not safe to solicit and/or give out contact information to strangers on the internet. Our members also do not know who you are I would caution them not to give out their contact information.

Evo said:
You will get plenty of exposure to English here on the forum, we do not encourage soliciting private contact. Over time, you may make friends, otherwise, it is not safe to solicit and/or give out contact information to strangers on the internet. Our members also do not know who you are I would caution them not to give out their contact information.
I am sorry, I don't know what it is about the rules. You can delete my post. :frown:

Nipon Waiyaworn said:
I am sorry, I don't know what it is about the rules. You can delete my post. :frown:
No need to do so. @Evo's post has been meant as an advise in advance (I think). Beside our forum rules, the reason why they exist is more important than the fact they are rules. This is a public forum, so in principle 7,434,929,364 , 7,434,929,365 , 7,434,929,366 , 7,434,929,367 ... people can read everything. I do not speculate on potential aliens visiting our planet which could read them as well, as such a hypothesis must not be discussed here either, for, which I believe, obvious reasons. Anyway, these are a lot of people and, sorry to tell you that, some of them are really mean and evil. You do not want to get in touch with them and even less, that they will know private data of yours. The possibilities to abuse them are manifold in these times. So that is the reason why we try to prevent the exchange of data of this kind. Too high are the dangers on the internet.

And as @Evo said: you can participate in a lot of discussions here, scientific ones as well as entertaining ones, which give you plenty of opportunities to practice English ... at least a kind of ... but this wouldn't be a better English on Skype ... so what ...

Likes Evo

Related to What does"double-infinities" mean?

What does "double-infinities" mean?

"Double-infinities" refers to a mathematical concept in which two infinities are combined or compared. This can occur in various mathematical fields, such as calculus, set theory, and number theory.

How is "double-infinities" different from regular infinity?

Regular infinity refers to an unbounded quantity that continues indefinitely, while "double-infinities" involves two infinities that are being compared or combined in some way. This can result in different mathematical outcomes and theories.

Can "double-infinities" exist in the physical world?

There is no consensus among scientists about whether "double-infinities" can exist in the physical world. Some argue that the concept is purely mathematical and cannot be observed in reality, while others propose theories that involve multiple infinities in the physical world.

What are some real-world applications of "double-infinities"?

One real-world application of "double-infinities" is in physics, specifically in the theory of black holes. The concept of an event horizon, which is a point of no return for objects entering a black hole, involves the combination of two infinities: the infinite mass and the infinite density at the center of the black hole.

Are there any paradoxes or contradictions related to "double-infinities"?

Yes, there are several paradoxes and contradictions that arise when dealing with "double-infinities." One example is the Hilbert's hotel paradox, which involves a hotel with an infinite number of rooms and guests, and the concept of adding or removing an infinite number of guests, resulting in different outcomes.