What Does an Observer See When Falling Into a Black Hole?

In summary, the discussion is about what an observer falling into a black hole would see as they approach the event horizon. If the observer falls from rest at a large distance, they would see a red shift for objects outside the event horizon. However, if the observer has an engine and slowly approaches the event horizon or falls from a short distance, they would see a blue shift. This is because the frequency of light received by the falling observer is lower than the frequency of light emitted by a distant source, causing them to see a slower moving clock hand. It is also important to note that Hawking radiation is observer dependent, and an infalling observer would see it from their own apparent horizon.
Calimero
Observer is falling into the BH. He looks at the stars. What does he see as he approaches EH? Universe in fast forward? Supernovas blasting at increasing rate, his galaxy merging with others...

At the very moment he crosses EH (he is still alive somehow) his last observation would be that universe is infinitely blueshifted, or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the observer fell from rest at a large distance, at the event horizon, the observer would see a red shift for stuff outside, i.e., the observer would see the outside universe slowing down (but not infinitely so). Also, the observer can still see parts of the outside universe even when the observer is inside the event horizon.

George Jones said:
If the observer fell from rest at a large distance, at the event horizon, the observer would see a red shift for stuff outside

And what if he is equipped with engine, and slowly approaches event horizon, or if he falls from the short distance?

George Jones said:
If the observer fell from rest at a large distance, at the event horizon, the observer would see a red shift for stuff outside, i.e., the observer would see the outside universe slowing down (but not infinitely so).

I wish you would expand on this a little. Perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems from other posts on this board the consensus is that the infalling observer would see the universe speed up. Why and how much would he see the universe slow down?

Calimero said:
And what if he is equipped with engine, and slowly approaches event horizon, or if he falls from the short distance?

Then the observer would see a blue shift.
skeptic2 said:
I wish you would expand on this a little. Perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems from other posts on this board the consensus is that the infalling observer would see the universe speed up. Why and how much would he see the universe slow down?

See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2425301#post2425301

and the posts in the thread to which I link there. I am not sure that I have explained things well, so ask any questions that you still have.

So stationary observer at the event horizon would see infinite blueshift?

I understand why photons would be red shifted instead of blue shifted. A freely falling observer looking back at an object falling after him would see the distance between him and the object continually increase. For photons it would be a red shift.

I do not understand why he would see the universe slow down, however.

Calimero said:
So stationary observer at the event horizon would see infinite blueshift?

Yes.
skeptic2 said:
I understand why photons would be red shifted instead of blue shifted. A freely falling observer looking back at an object falling after him would see the distance between him and the object continually increase. For photons it would be a red shift.

I do not understand why he would see the universe slow down, however.

For a red shift, the frequency of the light received by the falling observer is smaller than the frequency of the light emitted by a distant source. Imagine that the light is emitted from a clock, and that the clock hand whirls with the same frequency as the emitted light. The received light is used to watch the distant clock, so the falling observer sees the image of the clock hand whirl at the same frequency as the received light. But this frequency is lower than the emitted frequency, so the falling observer sees a slower moving clock hand.

Yes, that makes sense. So the stationary observer close to the horizon would see the universe speed up?

skeptic2 said:
Yes, that makes sense. So the stationary observer close to the horizon would see the universe speed up?

Yes.

From the above discussion one might presume that light from the event horizon, i.e. Hawking radiation, would be blue shifted to a free falling observer and thus would appear to age more quickly. If this is correct, does it mean that the event horizon would always evaporate before an observer were able to cross it?

Hawking radiation is observer dependent: infalling observer sees hawking radiation from his own apparent horizon.

Related to What Does an Observer See When Falling Into a Black Hole?

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own weight.

What happens when you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, you would experience extreme time dilation and gravitational forces. As you get closer to the black hole, the gravitational forces would increase and eventually tear you apart. You would also experience a phenomenon called spaghettification, where the gravitational pull would stretch your body into long thin strands.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon, which is the point of no return. This includes light, which is why black holes are invisible to the naked eye.

Do black holes lead to other dimensions or universes?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that black holes lead to other dimensions or universes. The laws of physics as we know them break down at the singularity of a black hole, so it is impossible to know what truly happens inside.

Are black holes dangerous to Earth?

No, black holes that are far away from Earth pose no danger to us. The closest black hole to our solar system is thousands of light years away. However, if a black hole were to enter our solar system, it could disrupt the orbits of planets and potentially cause some damage.