How Can We Observe Black Holes Growing?

In summary: The remote observer's clock will show that the time it takes for matter to reach the horizon is infinite.
mef
TL;DR Summary
A very simple question
IT IS WIDELY KNOWN that from the point of view of a distant, BUT FROM a FINITE distance, the time of falling into a black hole is INFINITE.

Then how does the BH absorb the surrounding matter?

It turns out that for any observer located at a finite distance R (the coordinate of the Schwarzschild metric) from the BH, no matter will ever reach the BH and it will never be able to absorb anything and increase in size.

Physics news on Phys.org
mef said:
Summary:: A very simple question

IT IS WIDELY KNOWN that from the point of view of a distant, BUT FROM a FINITE distance, the time of falling into a black hole is INFINITE.
Please don’t RANDOMLY SHOUT at us. It is rude and distracting

mef said:
Then how does the BH absorb the surrounding matter?
In order to fall in, matter must lose its angular momentum. Typically this happens in an accretion disk, where there are lots of collisions that can redistribute angular momentum and energy so as to allow particles to fall in.

mef said:
It turns out that for any observer located at a finite distance R (the coordinate of the Schwarzschild metric) from the BH, no matter will ever reach the BH and it will never be able to absorb anything and increase in size.
It turns out that physics is about more than the Schwarzschild coordinates.

Likes sha1000
You are answering a completely different question.
What happens to particles with zero angular momentum (radial)?

mef said:
They fall in. They reach the horizon in a finite time by their own clock (and hit the singularity a finite time by their own clock after that).

Your misconception is a common one. I suggest reading this series of Insights articles:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/schwarzschild-geometry-part-1/

Likes sha1000, Ibix, PeroK and 1 other person
Do you not understand what I wrote about the view, from the point of view of an outsider?

mef said:
Do you not understand what I wrote about the view, from the point of view of an outsider?
We understand what you are asking, truly we do!

The “point of view of an outsider” is based on light from the infalling object reaching their eyes. As the object approaches the horizon it takes longer and longer for that light to reach the outsider and light from the horizon crossing never gets out at all; that’s what it means to say that the object gets closer to the horizon but never crosses it.

However, if we start with an object of mass ##m## and drop it into a black hole of mass ##M##, we find that very quickly we have a black hole of mass ##M+m## - it’s just that we don’t get to see the object crossing the horizon.

Be aware that this answer contains some serious oversimplifications; the links posted by @PeterDonis would be a good start if you want a better understanding. There are also many older threads here as your question is a common one; the list of “Related Threads” below may be helpful, as well as https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ching-a-bh-and-bh-growth.921644/#post-5814635

Likes sha1000, Ibix and PeroK
mef said:
There are a lot of misconceptions online about an object falling into a black hole. These sources generally over-emphasise the role of a distant observer and what they see in terms of the light signals that reach them.

The argument they present, which you are repeating, is essentially that the object takes "infinite time" to reach the event horizon. This is false. There are other misconceptions, such as that the infalling object sees the whole history of the outside universe. That is also false.

One key point is that in the curved spacetime of a black hole, not all events may be observed by all observers. That the distant observer never observes an event does not mean that the event does not take place.

Likes sha1000 and Ibix
mef said:
Please understand that the gap of knowledge here is a big one. You are dealing with people who are very well versed in relativity and also very used to seeing precisely the type of misconceptions that you present. Instead of being dismissive and ungrateful to their replies because they do not fit with your own preconceptions, you should try to understand them.

Likes sha1000, DaveE, Vanadium 50 and 4 others
Orodruin said:
Please understand that the gap of knowledge here is a big one. You are dealing with people who are very well versed in relativity and also very used to seeing precisely the type of misconceptions that you present. Instead of being dismissive and ungrateful to their replies because they do not fit with your own preconceptions, you should try to understand them.
In addition to general words, no calculations.
OK.
Let's do it differently.
How much will the remote observer's clock show when, according to the local clock, matter reaches the horizon?

PeroK said:
There are a lot of misconceptions online about an object falling into a black hole. These sources generally over-emphasise the role of a distant observer and what they see in terms of the light signals that reach them.

The argument they present, which you are repeating, is essentially that the object takes "infinite time" to reach the event horizon. This is false. There are other misconceptions, such as that the infalling object sees the whole history of the outside universe. That is also false.

One key point is that in the curved spacetime of a black hole, not all events may be observed by all observers. That the distant observer never observes an event does not mean that the event does not take place.

I'm setting a very simple task... so that it becomes completely clear to you. How long does it take for a Newtonian apple to move from Earth to a black hole in the center of our galaxy.
From Newton's point of view

mef said:
In addition to general words, no calculations.
OK.
Let's do it differently.
How much will the remote observer's clock show when, according to the local clock, matter reaches the horizon?
You have another misconception here: The idea that a global ”when”. The idea that there is a unique time of crossing the horizon as seen by a distant observer is a false one.

Likes martinbn and Dale
mef said:
I'm setting a very simple task... so that it becomes completely clear to you. How long does it take for a Newtonian apple to move from Earth to a black hole in the center of our galaxy.
From Newton's point of view
Newtonian gravity does not apply to black hole event horizons. As far as the apple is concerned, it reaches the event horizon in a finite time.

mef said:
Let's write down the SPECIFIC time of the apple's fall from the Earth to the horizon of the black hole in the center of our galaxy. Take some mass of this BH. The attraction of the Earth and other gravity in the galaxy should be ignored.
By the “specific time” do you mean the proper time along the the infalling object’s worldline - that is, the time measured on the infaller’s clock between when it is released and it reaches the horizon?

If you mean something else, you will have to be more precise about exactly what the end points of the interval we’re measuring are. That’s what @Orodruin is getting at when he reminds you that there is no global “when” in curved spacetime.

mef said:
Depends on how the remote observer defines "when". You are thinking three dimensionally, where you have little choice about what "when" means. In four dimensions, you have a choice. You can pick "when" so that the matter never crosses the horizon, or "when" so that it crosses almost as soon as it is released. It's a choice - not of physics, but of what you mean by the word "when". There's no universal meaning to it.

Likes sha1000
PeroK said:
Newtonian gravity does not apply to black hole event horizons. As far as the apple is concerned, it reaches the event horizon in a finite time.

I didn't talk about Newtonian gravity, only about his apple))

Orodruin said:
You have another misconception here: The idea that a global ”when”. The idea that there is a unique time of crossing the horizon as seen by a distant observer is a false one.
there are strict initial conditions , but there is no definite answer? And then why do we need such a theory?)) How will you test students on the exam? He will write ANY answer... and he will ...this can also be))

maybe you have in terms of quantum mechanics? with such a probability, such an answer, with another probability, another answer))

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes DaveE, weirdoguy and PeroK
mef said:
there are strict initial conditions
No there aren't. You keep failing to define "when". If you do that, there is an answer.

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
No there aren't. You keep failing to define "when". If you do that, there is an answer.
t=0 start))

mef said:
I didn't talk about Newtonian gravity, only about his apple))
The GR calculations are in the thread I gave a link to.

mef said:
t=0 start))
You mean the Schwarzschild t coordinate? That isn't defined on the horizon so your question has no answer in those terms.

mef said:
t=0 start))
There is no "universal time in GR". Again, what you are syaing is: IF we assume universal time, then a black hole makes no sense. Which is true. Universal time (the same ##t## for everything) is not part of the theory of relativity.

mef said:
there are strict initial conditions , but there is no definite answer? And then why do we need such a theory?)) How will you test students on the exam? He will write ANY answer... and he will ...this can also be))
No. You persist in applying your own misconceptions without any regards to being told that your question as posed is not well defined according to the theory. Obviously such a question would not be asked in an exam precisely because it is not a good question to ask.

mef said:
And then why do we need such a theory?

Let me guess - you didn't come here to learn, did you? You came here to force upon us all of your misconceptions just to tell us that GR is not correct.

• Haha
Likes Halc, Vanadium 50, martinbn and 7 others
mef said:
You are answering a completely different question.
They fall in, just like particles with zero angular momentum about any spherical mass.

mef said:
Why should the particle care about the point of view of an outsider?

mef said:
This is not a physical question, it is a mathematical question. And even as a mathematical question it is not fully specified since you have not indicated which coordinates you want to use to determine “when” things happen. If you use mathematically bad coordinates you will get a bad mathematical answer.

mef said:
It is not a simple task because it is incompletely specified. You need to specify the coordinates. And even once you do so, this remains a mathematical exercise rather than a physical one

mef said:
but there is no definite answer?
That is correct. You cannot have a definite answer to an indefinite question

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
You mean the Schwarzschild t coordinate? That isn't defined on the horizon so your question has no answer in those terms.
This is defined at a finite point R (observer coordinate)
On the horizon, time is defined at least as a limit, just like in mathematical analysis. At the same time, some limits may diverge to infinity, but they exist!

but there are limits that do not exist, for example, sin(1/x) for x -> 0

Orodruin said:
What makes you think I'm asking about the global when?
I'm asking about when only with the observer system

mef said:
Because he's taught relativity to hundreds of students and can see the mistakes you're making.

The only question for you is whether you have the desire to learn GR, which is hard work. Or, whether you prefer not to learn it, which is very easy to do.

You quoted some Real Analysis. 99.9% of the world's population do not understand real analysis and why ##\sin \frac 1 x## does not converge, as ##x \rightarrow 0##. Real analysis is not easy to learn and many people think it's just some rubbish that mathematicians invented. It's easy for them to trash mathematics rather than learn it.

Ultimately, we've all put in the months of hard study to learn GR - and overcome the difficulties in understanding thinks like coordinate-dependence and invariance.

We can't force you to learn GR. But, you can't persuade us it's all wrong any more than you could persuade us that mathematics is all wrong. Because we've learned and understood it.

Likes berkeman
mef said:
Because you are trying to construct a ”when” including both a stationary observer and an object falling through the event horizon by asking ”when” for a distant observer does an object pass the horizon. There is no such construction. The time coordinate t is just a coordinate. It does not define a universal sense of simultaneity. That no such concept exists should be clear already from special relativity. You yourself is the one standing in your own way by asserting that your ill defined questions are well defined.
mef said:
On the horizon, time is defined at least as a limit, just like in mathematical analysis.
No, it is not and repeating the statement is not going to make it so. Time is undefined on the horizon because regular Schwarzschild coordinates are singular there. This also underlines that coordinate time is an exceedingly bad choice to define global simultaneity. It is somewhat useful for that outside the horizon due to its role as parametrising a timelike Killing flow. This however ends on the horizon.

PeroK said:
and can see the mistakes you're making.
The hardest part of learning relativity is arguably letting go of hard ingrained preconceptions that are no longer valid.

mef said:
We think that's what you're doing because it is what you are doing. Any statement about what the observer's clock reads WHEN the object passes through the event horizon carries a hidden and incorrect assumption about there being a some sort of global WHEN.

This is what I was getting at in post #13 above: How have you chosen the point on the observer's world line that happens at the same time that the world line of the infalling object intersects the event horizon (or the observer finds that the black hole has increased by the mass of t infalling object)?

Likes Orodruin
mef said:
Right here, for example:

mef said:
This requires a coordinate system/ synchronization convention to answer. You seem to think that specifying an observer uniquely specifies a coordinate system and it does not. And even once you do specify, the answer is coordinate dependent, so it is math not physics

mef said:
no calculations...How much will the remote observer's clock show when...
You want us to answer a quantitative question without calculations?

mef said:
Let's do it differently.
As has been said so many time, it depends on which events on the infaller's world line are considered to be the same time as on a stationary world line some distance from the horizon. Schwarzschild t coordinate as a definition simply doesn't work because it isn't defined at the horizon and it behaves like an axial distance rather than a timelike coordinate inside the horizon.

However, there are many well behaved coordinate systems, such that a line of constant time and angular coordinates represents a smooth spacelike path through the horizon and up to the singularity. Each such different choice of well behaved coordinates will give a different answer to the above question. However, for any particular choice of well behaved coordinates there is a definite answer. For example, in:

https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6601010/

I discuss platform adapted Lemaitre style coordinates. If these are used to define 'when', then:

If you have clock on a platform hovering at r=2R, where R is the Schwarzschild radius, and r is the Schwarzschild radial coordinate, then the platform clock will read ##R(\sqrt 2 + \pi/\sqrt 2)## when the falling test body reaches the horizon, and it will read ##R\pi\sqrt 2## when the test body reaches the singularity (counting from the platform clock being zero when it drops a test body; R is in units of light seconds).

For a typical stellar BH, e.g. 8 solar mass, the time on a platform clock at twice the Schwarzschild radius r coordinate, from when it drops a probe to when the probe reaches the singularity, for this definition of “when”, is just 355 microseconds.

Last edited:
Thank you all, but I would like to receive in response not reasoning, but CALCULATION...I think I can understand him

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy