What Does A Represent in the Quantum Mechanical Wave Equation Ae^{i(kx-wt)}?

In summary, the "A" in the wave equation Ae^{i(kx-wt)} can represent a normalization constant in quantum mechanics, but only under certain circumstances. In other cases, it may represent an amplitude or be determined by the Dirac Delta function in the position or momentum representation. However, these states are purely mathematical and do not physically exist.
velo city
What is the "A" in the wave equation: [itex]Ae^{i(kx-wt)}[/itex]? What does it mean in quantum mechanics? Is it just the amplitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
In quantum mechanics, it would normally be a normalization constant. Except, if that wave equation were taken to be over all space, it is not normalizable.

So under some circumstances, you can think of it like an amplitude, for problems involving, e.g. scattering. But only ratios should ever be used if we are using plane wave approximations.

velo city said:
What is the "A" in the wave equation: [itex]Ae^{i(kx-wt)}[/itex]? What does it mean in quantum mechanics? Is it just the amplitude?

A is sometimes (but not always) set by where you got it from eg if you are considering a state of definite momentum that is modeled by Dirac Delta function it determines A in the position representation eg:
http://hitoshi.berkeley.edu/221a/delta.pdf

But sometimes that's not the case eg (see section 7.7 on the free particle):
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/TZD/PageProofs1/TAYL07-203-247.I.pdf

However by looking at the momentum representation of the solution that would naturally set the value of the constant via the Dirac Delta function.

It must always be remembered such states don't really exist, they are mathematical fictions introduced for convenience.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Does A Represent in the Quantum Mechanical Wave Equation Ae^{i(kx-wt)}?

1. What is the Psi Wave Function Constant and why is it important in science?

The Psi Wave Function Constant, also known as the wave function normalization constant, is a mathematical constant used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum particles. It is important because it helps us understand the probability of finding a particle in a particular state and allows us to make predictions about its behavior.

2. How is the Psi Wave Function Constant calculated?

The Psi Wave Function Constant is calculated by taking the square root of the integral of the absolute value of the wave function squared over all possible values of the particle's position or momentum. This ensures that the probability of finding the particle in any state is equal to 1.

3. Can the Psi Wave Function Constant change or vary?

No, the Psi Wave Function Constant is a fundamental constant of quantum mechanics and is not affected by any external factors. It is a property of the particle's wave function and remains constant regardless of the particle's location or movement.

4. How does the Psi Wave Function Constant relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The Psi Wave Function Constant is related to this principle as it represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, rather than its exact position or momentum.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Psi Wave Function Constant?

Yes, the Psi Wave Function Constant is used in various real-world applications such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and particle accelerators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which has important implications in chemistry and materials science.