What do you think of The Universe series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the disappointment with popular science TV programs, which mix in false information and focus on selling ads rather than educating viewers. The mention of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku is also brought up, with criticism of his tendency to focus on hypothetical and unproven technology. The participants express a desire for more scientific accuracy and education in these types of programs.
kikko
I've seen a bit and thought it was overly simplified, and disappointed with there being so many interviews and little animation. I think I learned just as much through my intro astronomy class in college. I'm wondering if Hawking's Into the Universe is much better. I actually don't know much about informative space documentaries besides Cosmos and The Planets.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
kikko said:
I've seen a bit and thought it was overly simplified, and disappointed with there being so many interviews and little animation. I think I learned just as much through my intro astronomy class in college. I'm wondering if Hawking's Into the Universe is much better.

NONE of the TV programs contain totally factual information as far as I've seen. They all mix in real physics with a large amount of just nonsense and outright false statements. There have been several threads on this forum bemoaning that fact.

They are mass media popularizations, so we really should not expect otherwise. They are NOT in business to tell the truth but to sell ads.

The worst are the ones w/ Micchio Kaku. I appreciate him being one of the best theoretical physicists but all he does is preach about how cool the future will be. The worst part of it is all of the technology he talks about is so beyond hypothetical, that it isn't even known if what he is suggesting is possible to do in the first place. But he gets away from it by always saying "In the distant future, we will be able to do "X" ".

I get the audience he is going for is probably the scientific illiterate, but when the all-elusive science television series are put on broadcast, I just expect more.

Related to What do you think of The Universe series?

1. What topics does The Universe series cover?

The Universe series covers a wide range of topics related to astronomy and astrophysics, including the formation and evolution of galaxies, the birth and death of stars, the structure of the universe, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

2. Is The Universe series scientifically accurate?

As a scientist, I can say that The Universe series is generally considered to be scientifically accurate. While there may be some simplifications and artistic interpretations for the sake of entertainment, the information presented is based on current scientific understanding and research.

3. Can viewers with little knowledge of science understand The Universe series?

The Universe series is designed to be accessible to viewers with all levels of scientific knowledge. While some concepts may be more complex, the show does a good job of explaining them in a way that is easy to understand for the general audience.

4. Are there any controversies surrounding The Universe series?

There have been some criticisms of The Universe series for potentially promoting pseudoscience, such as the inclusion of ancient astronaut theories. However, these are often presented in a balanced manner and the show is generally well-regarded by the scientific community.

5. Can The Universe series be used as a teaching tool?

Many educators have used The Universe series as a teaching tool in classrooms and educational settings. It can be a great way to introduce complex scientific concepts and spark interest in astronomy and astrophysics.