What do you think of my schedule for fall 2013?

In summary, the conversation discusses course options for a junior physics major, including topics such as Electricity and Magnetism, Quantum Mechanics, Mathematical Physics II, Solid State Physics, and Cosmology. The group agrees that this is a standard schedule for a junior and notes the importance of having a background in Quantum Mechanics for understanding Solid State Physics.
xdrgnh
Electricity and Magnetism 1-Griffith level
Quantum Mechanics-1 Griffith
Mathematical Physics II topics are mostly PDE's and complex Analysis
And either Solid State physics or intro to Cosmology. Both classes are senior or junior level

Do you guys think this is a decent schedule for a junior who is a physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, sounds about standard! Good luck!

How can you take Solid without having taken any QM? I am currently taking Solid State after a year of QM on Griffiths+some Shankar level and still find it a rather difficult subject.

This is true, solid state is a 3-4 year split with chemistry and physics at my university. You must have taken some QM if you wish to get an understanding of the subject.

I think your schedule for fall 2013 looks well-rounded and challenging. Electricity and Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics are fundamental courses in physics and it's great that you are taking them at a higher level with Griffith. Mathematical Physics II also seems like a valuable course, as it covers important topics in PDE's and complex analysis that are essential for understanding many areas of physics. I think it's commendable that you are considering taking either Solid State Physics or Intro to Cosmology, as both are fascinating and important areas of study. Overall, I believe this is a strong schedule for a junior physics major and I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

Related to What do you think of my schedule for fall 2013?

What do you think of my schedule for fall 2013?

1. Is my schedule balanced with a good mix of science and non-science courses?

Answer: It is important to have a balanced schedule, so it is great that you are considering this. I would suggest evaluating the specific courses you have chosen to ensure they align with your academic and career goals.

2. Are there any classes that you think I should add or drop?

Answer: As a scientist, I am not familiar with your individual academic requirements or interests. It would be best to consult with your academic advisor for personalized recommendations.

3. How many credit hours do you suggest I take?

Answer: The number of credit hours you take will depend on your workload and time management skills. It is important to consider your other commitments and prioritize your academic goals.

4. Should I take any classes online or in-person?

Answer: This decision ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences. Some students may prefer the flexibility of online courses, while others may thrive in a traditional classroom setting. Consider what has worked best for you in the past.

5. Are there any particularly challenging courses that you would recommend taking earlier in the semester?

Answer: Every student's strengths and weaknesses are different, so it is difficult to make a general recommendation. However, it may be beneficial to tackle more challenging courses earlier in the semester when you have more time and energy to devote to them.