Is This a Good 1st Semester Engineering Schedule?

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior transferring to a tech school to study electrical engineering. They have already completed most of their general education requirements and are planning their first semester schedule. They are considering taking Calculus 3, Physics II, Intro to Electrical Engineering, Intro to Mineral Engineering, and either Circuits I or Microelectronics. They are also interested in pursuing a minor in mineral engineering. It is suggested that they take circuits before microelectronics and that they may need to retake Physics I. The speaker also mentions the importance of focusing on mastering the basics in order to make later years easier.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am a high school senior that is transferring to a tech school in the Fall to study electrical engineering. I also have most of my general ed finished so I need to make a schedule for the fall based on the classes I haven't taken yet. I already finished most of my humanities/social science and have finished Chemistry I and II, Calculus I and II, Physics I, Programming, Engineering Design, and Linear Algebra all taken at a community college. This is what I had in mind for a 1st semester schedule:

Calculus 3 (4)
Physics II (5)
Intro to Electrical Engineering (2)
Intro to Mineral Engineering (1)
Circuits I (4) or Microelectronics (3)

15 or 16 total credit hours.

Btw, I'm looking for a mineral engineering minor, that's why the mineral engineering is there.

Should I take circuits without taking the intro to electrical engineering? Should I retake Physics I? What do you think of this schedule? What should I change?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks pretty good although it might be pretty intense.

What is Intro to Electrical Engineering? Also, I would take circuits before Microelectronics for sure.

analogdesign said:
What is Intro to Electrical Engineering?

It is a basic freshmen electrical engineering class that teaches you the basics. All EE majors have to take it.

Aww.. I just learned that Intro to Electrical Engineering is a prereq for Circuits and Signals I. I also learned I can't take microelectronics either. :(

Try not to be too disappointed. EE (and pretty much every other technical field) builds on prereqs the entire way through. This is a good thing - otherwise you wouldn't be learning much in your upper division classes. A microelecronics course that did not require circuits as a prereq would not be very useful for an EE.

If you have some holes in your schedule, take some subject you will enjoy for fun (art? philosophy? music theory? ), some english (especially writing intensive), or some computer science, or ...

Also, for your first semester, there is nothing wrong with taking a lighter load. I found my freshman year to be a bit of a shock, and a lighter load would have helped.

Enjoy,

jason

Looks good man, but make sure you focus on mastering the basics. It will make your later years much easier if you really put the work in early.

1. What classes should I take in my first semester of engineering?

Your first semester of engineering should consist of core classes that will provide a strong foundation for your future engineering courses. This typically includes courses in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is also recommended to take an introductory engineering course to gain an understanding of the field.

2. How many classes should I take in my first semester of engineering?

The number of classes you take in your first semester of engineering will depend on your individual workload and schedule. It is recommended to take around 15-18 credit hours, which is typically equivalent to 4-5 classes. However, it is important to not overload yourself and to make sure you have enough time to focus on each class.

3. Is it better to take difficult classes in my first semester of engineering or spread them out?

It is generally recommended to spread out difficult classes throughout your engineering program. However, if you feel confident in your abilities and have a strong foundation in the subject, it may be beneficial to take a difficult class in your first semester to get it out of the way. Just make sure to not overwhelm yourself and to maintain a healthy balance.

4. Should I take any electives in my first semester of engineering?

It is not necessary to take any electives in your first semester of engineering. It is more important to focus on core classes and building a strong foundation. However, if you have room in your schedule and are interested in a particular elective, it may be a good opportunity to explore different areas of engineering.

5. Is it important to have a balanced schedule in my first semester of engineering?

Having a balanced schedule in your first semester of engineering is important for maintaining a healthy workload and avoiding burnout. This means having a mix of challenging and easier classes, as well as making sure you have enough time for studying and extracurricular activities. It is also important to have a balance between engineering courses and general education courses to have a well-rounded education.