What do you think about: The ebtrance of Turkey in the EU?

• News
  • Thread starter ardian007
  • Start date
In summary, Turkey may fulfill the criterias of entering in Europe, but they have a long road ahead to improve their human rights record.
ardian007
I think in generall terms, Turkey, fulfills the criterias of entering in Europe, the three main ones are: a) GDP equal or less than three percent, b) Dept/GDP plus or minus 15 percent and c) it has a sustainable growth? do the Baltic countries have any higher standard of living higher than the Turkey?
Your answers should be based on facts and arguments should be critical?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose in general terms Turkey may fulfill the criteria, what at least will take quite a bit of time, say 10-15 years, is to abolish human rights violations and get treatment of minorities to a civil level for starters. I'd say they are making progress, but the timespan for admittance still looks to be quite long.

Disappointing news for those that have been following this story:

A prominent Turkish-Armenian editor, convicted in 2005 of insulting Turkish identity, has been shot dead outside his newspaper's office in Istanbul.

Crowds of Hrant Dink's colleagues and supporters gathered at the scene, chanting their outrage at his murder.

Dink was given a six-month suspended sentence in October 2005 after writing about the Armenian "genocide" of 1915.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6279241.stm

How Turkey handles this may have a big role in determining how their bid to join the EU is negotiated.

Turkey's problem with becoming a member of EU is not (just?) the economy, but the human rights perspective.

ardian007 said:
I think in generall terms, Turkey, fulfills the criterias of entering in Europe, the three main ones are: a) GDP equal or less than three percent, b) Dept/GDP plus or minus 15 percent and c) it has a sustainable growth? do the Baltic countries have any higher standard of living higher than the Turkey?
Your answers should be based on facts and arguments should be critical?

In that case my only criticism is their human rights issues, if they can show these are no longer issues, then we should allow them to join.

Turkey has some hurdles to jump if it wants to join the EU...

Cyprus
Genocide
Economy
GeographyYou can't join the EU unless you recognise all countries int the EU. Right now they dont, because of Cyprus. They also need to recognise what happened during the fall of the Ottoman Empire, that being the murder of many Christians because of their faith., a fact which is ratified by LAW in some EU countries. The economy of Turkey is also a problem, as it is substandard, and finally only a very small percentage if Turkey is actually in Europe, that being Asia Minor, or Thrace, Istanbul being the border between Europe and Asia. The one thing Turkey has going for it is its consumer base, the EU would benefit from that, however I think it would be a massive drain on the EU's economy before it would ever have a positive effect.

So I doubt they will never Join, but the process to joining (The carrot) has been good for Turkey.. I don't think they will ever be let in IMHO due to these differences.

As for the Balkans economy V Turkey. I would say most if not all of the EU countries in the Balkans Economy is better than that of Turkey. Would you disagree with that, and what do your believe *is* the Balkan region, because that definition is paramount to the arguement?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Disappointing news for those that have been following this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6279241.stm

How Turkey handles this may have a big role in determining how their bid to join the EU is negotiated.

The problem with Turkey joining the EU is that the people on the street on the whole don't want them in. They don't see any positive to letting them in, and only negative. I can't see how Politics or Propaganda could change that. Really the biggest driver of this process is the American government, because they have self interests to having Turkey in the EU. The EU has more to loose than gain by allowing them to join. So any real Risk analysis done on this would finish on a NO right now. perhaps this will change in years/decades to come. But at this present time IMHO its a NO.

Anttech said:
As for the Balkans economy V Turkey. I would say most if not all of the EU countries in the Balkans Economy is better than that of Turkey. Would you disagree with that, and what do your believe *is* the Balkan region, because that definition is paramount to the arguement?
He said Baltic...:wink:

ohh.. I missread it, I presume he ment Balkan region as the Baltic region is nothing to do with Turkey, nor ever has done. Anyway the countries arround the Baltic sea, are a lot richer than Turkey.

We will never know tho.. the inital question was posted in 2004 :smile:

Related to What do you think about: The ebtrance of Turkey in the EU?

What is the current status of Turkey's membership in the EU?

Turkey has been in the process of seeking membership in the EU since 1987. As of now, Turkey is considered a candidate country and has been engaged in accession negotiations since 2005. However, there have been several delays and obstacles in the process, and it is unclear when or if Turkey will become a full member of the EU.

What are the benefits of Turkey joining the EU?

If Turkey were to become a member of the EU, it would have access to many economic and political benefits. These include access to the EU's single market, increased trade and investment opportunities, and a stronger voice in international affairs. It could also potentially lead to increased stability and cooperation in the region.

What are the concerns about Turkey's membership in the EU?

One of the main concerns about Turkey's entry into the EU is its human rights record. The EU has repeatedly called on Turkey to improve its record on issues such as freedom of speech, minority rights, and treatment of refugees. There are also concerns about the economic and cultural impact of such a large and diverse country joining the EU.

How would Turkey's membership affect the current members of the EU?

Turkey's membership would have a significant impact on the current members of the EU. It would bring in a large and diverse population, potentially shifting the balance of power within the EU. It could also have economic implications, as Turkey's economy is currently much less developed than many EU countries.

What are the arguments for and against Turkey joining the EU?

The main arguments for Turkey joining the EU include the potential economic and political benefits, as well as the idea of promoting democracy and stability in the region. Arguments against Turkey's membership often focus on concerns about human rights, cultural differences, and the potential strain on the EU's resources and institutions.