What do you find most difficult about English?

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, this summarizer is an expert on non native speakers and their mistakes. They point out that there are subtle differences in how American and British English communicate. Additionally, this summarizer has difficulty with words like "advice" and "advise".
SW VandeCarr
For non native speakers here. For example, the spelling, the grammar (be specific please), the sentence structure, the vocabulary, etc.

One specific example that comes to mind: the way the word "over" is used. It can mean "above" contrasted with "below"; or as contrasted with "under". It can also be used in the sense of "over there", which is not contrasted with "below there" or "under there". Then there's "It ain't over 'tll it's over." Here it means something like "finished" or "completed" which are not prepositions, but past participles used as predicate adjectives. Then there are phrases like "Over and out." or "Over to you, Joe." Here "over" does not mean "above" or "completed" but may mean something like "Over there." except that Joe isn't over there, but here, sitting right next to you.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to hear what, if anything, bugs you about English. Also feel free to praise the language and say why you like it better than some other language(s).

EDIT: I just had to add that famous British quip from WWII about the Yanks being "Overpaid, oversexed and over here!" Here it means "excessively" in the first two uses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I like about English is that most of the phrases are the same for both masculine and feminine cases. If you look at slavic languages there are different words for the masculine and feminine cases.

I don't find "over" to be very difficult. But some english things bother me.

For example:
- I'm talking with him
- I'm talking at him
- I'm talking to him
I have no idea which one would be the most correct form.

The difference between to and too bothers me as well. I can't ever remember that.

Things like advice vs. advise are also quite difficult.

It's easier to learn than Chinese.

Most annoying thing I find is missing out on words and such .. They are very hard to spot out! Like writing "I am to school" when I am thinking "I am going to school".

English must be horrible to learn as a second language!

micromass said:
For example:
- I'm talking with him
- I'm talking at him
- I'm talking to him

It would be "I'm talking to him". To make the others more correct [sic] you could say "I'm having a conversation with him" or "I'm shouting at him".

The difference between to and too bothers me as well. I can't ever remember that.

'Too' generally means more than one, or as well, so you could remember it as having more than one letter o (I have no idea if that helps or hinders!).

cristo said:
It would be "I'm talking to him". To make the others more correct [sic] you could say "I'm having a conversation with him" or "I'm shouting at him".

Thanks! I really like people pointing out mistakes. It helps a lot!

cristo said:
English must be horrible to learn as a second language!
At least there are schools that teach it. My wife was never able to find a school that teaches English as a third language. The part she finds most difficult is "Yes, you're right."

micromass said:
I don't find "over" to be very difficult. But some english things bother me.

For example:
- I'm talking with him
- I'm talking at him
- I'm talking to him

I think all three are acceptable, but in different contexts. "I'm talking with him." to me, conveys a kind of ongoing process more than "I'm talking to him." particularly if it's in the third, rather than the first person. "I'm talking at him." is used in a negative way, meaning it's a one sided conversation where the other person is not engaged.

to - a proposition or when preceding a verb to make the infinitive."He came to the meeting just to irritate me."

too- an adverb meaning excessively or also. "I too sleep too much."

Advice- a noun. "Take my advice." Advise- a verb "I advise you not to take my advice."

Last edited:
cristo said:
It would be "I'm talking to him".
Warning: This could be an across the pond issue. American and British English differ in subtle ways.

I would say that "talking at," "talking to," and "talking with" are subtly different.
"Talking at" means you are talking but no one is listening.
"Talking to" means you are talking and someone is listening, but it's one-way.
"Talking with" means a two-way conversation.

Scenario: You have a mess of equations on a piece of paper, and even more bouncing about in your head. (Or code one part written, one part diagramed, one part in your head.) You've been at this for a couple of hours. The pieces are about to come together when a small part of your brain senses a slight increase in the background noise. Ignore it! (Note well: At this stage in the mental juggling act a fire alarm would be a slight increase in the background noise.)

Easy to ignore -- until your SO gets right in your face and says "I was talking to you. Did you hear a word I said?"

Your response is to
  • Get angry at the mental juggling work that just hit the floor and snap back "No, you were talking at me. Talking to me would mean that I was listening."

While technically correct, this is a good way to get a much longer "talking to," followed by a night or two or three in the dog house.
  • You think back to when you first noticed the slight increase in the background noise. Ouch. A good ten minutes ago. That, coupled with the throbbing vein you see calls for a diplomatic response. "Oh, I'm sorry. I was lost in thought. Please give me just a couple of minutes to jot my thoughts down and then I'll talk with you."

Those couple of minutes will give you a chance to save some of your work and give her a chance to calm down just a bit.

cristo said:
'Too' generally means more than one, or as well, so you could remember it as having more than one letter o (I have no idea if that helps or hinders!).
Too="in addition; also; furthermore; moreover..."
Whereas Two="a cardinal number, 1 plus 1..."

http://dictionary.reference.com/

dlgoff said:

We were on the train and I was talking to my wife, not about anything important, just talking to relieve the boredom. I started talking in Philadelphia and kept talking to Albequerque. That's when she gave me a good talking to.

Jimmy Snyder said:
We were on the train and I was talking to my wife, not about anything important, just talking to relieve the boredom. I started talking in Philadelphia and kept talking to Albequerque. That's when she gave me a good talking to.
Correction. To ≥ 1.

English, 3rd language I speak/read the best. I'd give it a 3 to 4/10 of mastering compared to my native tongue but it's a gross guess.
Pronounciation for me, a clue I've no idea many times. For instance take the word "pyramid". How on Earth is it pronounced?
Peerameed? Pie-rameed? Peeram"ide" like the "ide" in "hide"?
I don't know how to pronouce "sure". The u.
And many, many more words.

fluidistic said:
English, 3rd language I speak/read the best. I'd give it a 3 to 4/10 of mastering compared to my native tongue but it's a gross guess.
Pronounciation for me, a clue I've no idea many times. For instance take the word "pyramid". How on Earth is it pronounced?
Peerameed? Pie-rameed? Peeram"ide" like the "ide" in "hide"?
I don't know how to pronouce "sure". The u.
And many, many more words.

Pyramid:
PEER-a-mid
the 'mid' rhymes with kid, lid, did

Sure:
shir
rhymes with her
although some English dialects do weird things with this word, like "shoo-er", but that's clearly wrong :-p

dlgoff said:

A toast to two too!

Jimmy Snyder said:
At least there are schools that teach it. My wife was never able to find a school that teaches English as a third language. The part she finds most difficult is "Yes, you're right."

Sounds familiar. My other is Japanese, but I don't recall her ever saying that to me either, although she speaks perfect English. In fact, she's a linguist. She's qualified to teach English as a first, second, fourth or fifth language. However, for some reason there's no approved program for teaching English specifically as a third language. Of course you can enroll in a course for English as fourth or fifth language which is what she did. She did find a program for Albanian as a third language so she could then take English as a fourth language.

Last edited:
English is a really screwed up language and I've been speaking it my whole life.

It's almost like someone decided to get five or six languages and just put them in a blender and the result is the English language.

At least with a language like german, you know at least how to pronounce the word from the carets and the umlaut symbols and the hats. With english its always memorizing the exception to the rule.

I used to learn japanese in school and the only thing I didn't like about that language was the insane amount of symbols that you needed to learn if you wanted to master the language. Same thing with other asian languages like cantonese though.

lisab said:
Pyramid:
PEER-a-mid
the 'mid' rhymes with kid, lid, did

Sure:
shir
rhymes with her
although some English dialects do weird things with this word, like "shoo-er", but that's clearly wrong :-p

I pronounce SURE (as in sure thing) the same way as SHORE (as in sea shore). :S

For me as a Chinese, "He" and "She", present and past tense. We don't have have distinction in pronunciation.

dlgoff said:
Really? It's all in the lips. Not the symbols.

http://www.german-grammar.de/grammar/chapter_3/3_2_3_umlaute.htm

As an example of what I mean let's look at the words "fear" and "bear". The pronunciation of those two highlights yet another "exception" to the rule.

At least other languages have a structure in place that avoids having to have all of these exceptions.

D H said:
Warning: This could be an across the pond issue. American and British English differ in subtle ways.

I think you're right. I agree that "talking at" means that the other party is not listening. But I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "talking with" before; we would always say "talking to".

homevolend said:
What I like about English is that most of the phrases are the same for both masculine and feminine cases. If you look at slavic languages there are different words for the masculine and feminine cases.

I find the neutral gender of English dissapointing.

The gender of nouns in some languages tells you more than just the word that group uses - it also gives some insight as to how that group views that object.

chiro said:
It's almost like someone decided to get five or six languages and just put them in a blender and the result is the English language.
That's pretty close to what happened. Now add closing the lid and letting the mix ferment for several hundred years and you get a very good description of English.

Old English was mostly a fermented mix of the languages of the invading Angles, Saxons, and Jutes. A tiny, tiny bit of Briton survived this invasion. Then Vikings invaded parts of England, adding a bit of Norse to the mix. Roman was the lingua franca in the early Middle Ages. Some of this bled into Old English as well.

The lingua franca of England was French after 1066. The Normans (Vikings who learned to speak French, badly) drove out Old English, replacing it with what eventually became Middle English. Old English doesn't look like English at all. Middle English does to some extent, but try reading Chaucer. It's still a foreign language.

The change from Middle to Modern English didn't result from an invasion. That was your five or six languages tossed in a blender and allowed to ferment.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Did you notice that your train had stopped in St. Louis from two to two to two two, and that the express on the neighboring platform was there from two to two to two two too?

micromass said:
When in doubt, remember to use the -ice word when you need a noun and the -ise word when you need a verb.

Example: An adviser's job is to advise.

This general rule of thumb works well for other such words (e.g., practise, practice) in British English, but Americans seem to have been moving in the direction of eliminating the possibility of error to by simply using the one spelling for both the noun and verb. 'Practise', for instance, is essentially obsolete in American English.

Gokul43201 said:
Did you notice that your train had stopped in St. Louis from two to two to two two, and that the express on the neighboring platform was there from two to two to two two too?
No, I hadn't. When I got to Chicago I asked if the train goes to the loop, and the conductor said no, it goes whoo-a-whoo.

Gokul43201 said:
This general rule of thumb works well for other such words (e.g., practise, practice) in British English
I didn't know that difference existed. So Brits practise what they preach? I suspect that even in England, the practice will eventually become to practice what one preaches thanks to the influence of Hollywood.

"The" vs "a" vs lack of them both, and a correct usage of tenses - these are beyond my comprehension. "With", "at", "to" (and others) thing that Micromass mentioned is sometimes also difficult, but the same happens also in French and Russian, which I was taught long ago.

I don't have problems with pronunciation, as I only type. I don't have problems with understanding of the spoken English - I don't understand it, so I don't have to worry about details.

Borek said:
"The" vs "a" vs lack of them both
"The" is definite, "a" is indefinite.
While riding our bikes through the countryside we came across a dog sitting in a yard. When the dog saw us it started to give chase.​
The first use ("a dog") is indefinite because the writer don't know whose dog it is. It is just some random dog that apparently doesn't like bicyclists. The second use ("the dog") is definite because the writer has now identified some specific dog, the one that was calmly sitting in its yard until it saw a bunch of bicyclists.

and a correct usage of tenses
English isn't all that special here, is it? Learning the correct use of tenses is a problem in any language.

Chinese grammar is actually quite easy compared to English. For Chinese, it's the alphabet and the pronunciation that are difficult.

English has a lot of rules, so it's not so hard if you learn the rules. There are many exceptions to the rules, but often these have their own rules and patterns. I teach English and what a lot of people think are exceptions are actually secondary rules over-riding the more common primary rules. One of the hardest parts to learn in English is the prepositions, because they don't follow rules as nicely. One preposition can mean many different things depending on context, and you just have to memorize them all.

D H said:
"The" is definite, "a" is indefinite.

This is only a scratch on the surface, isn't it? See bottom of this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3668243&postcount=12670

(it was answered by Zooby)

English isn't all that special here, is it? Learning the correct use of tenses is a problem in any language.

I guess my problems steam from the fact I am coming from Polish, where there are no perfect tenses (so I don't "feel" them) and we basically use just three tenses (past, present, future). Sometimes I try to understand what I am doing:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2005263&postcount=6

but even then I am not convinced I got it right.

In both cases mentioned here (use of perfect tenses and "the" vs "a") I can regurgitate the definition, but it doesn't mean I always know how to apply it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
chrisbaird said:
I teach English and what a lot of people think are exceptions are actually secondary rules over-riding the more common primary rules.
I hope you are a bit old fashioned in your teaching. Something bad happened with regard to how English is taught to native speakers starting about a decade or so. It appears to coincide with teachers switching from red pens for markups to purple ones. Or maybe with the advent of txtspeak. Or both.We see some poorly written posts at this forum on occasion. Some are just dumb mistakes (I'm not immune), but some are just bad through and through, and post after post. One class is people who don't know English at all. They write in their native language and let something like babelfish or google translate convert to English. The result is often babble.

Even worse are some of the posts written by those whose native language is English. These are mostly by kids and young adults, and mostly from the US. Something very bad happened along the way to their high school diploma.

Borek said:
"The" vs "a" vs lack of them both

This also causes problems for my wife.

Last edited: