What do we actually have control over?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of control and what individuals actually have control over. Some mentioned having control over their actions, while others joked about not having control over their bladder or taxes. The conversation also touched on the idea of illusion of control and how one's pursuit can make a difference in the end result. The conversation concluded with a humorous comment about the legal age for paying taxes.
Loren Booda
What do we actually have control over?

Physics news on Phys.org
The remote, well...unless you have a wife :biggrin:

Barely our own actions in some cases.

Provided you don't tell anyone your PF password, you have control over what you write to the rest of us.

my bladder... for now.

moe darklight said:
my bladder... for now.

You obviously aren't a consumer of caffinated soft drinks. :smile:

A la "Instinct," nobody ever has any control; there are only your illusions of control.

Considering I own a car, I think I have some control over big hunks of metal.

Not even on my own mind.

I control nothing, though the course I pursue, can make a difference in the end result.

Definitely not my taxes

Ki Man said:
Definitely not my taxes

Aren't you 14?

moose said:
Aren't you 14?

Actually, 14 is the legal age at which you're allowed to pay taxes. It's part of the child labor laws.

"The more you know!"

Related to What do we actually have control over?

1. What aspects of our lives do we have control over?

We have control over our thoughts, actions, and reactions to situations. We also have control over our habits, choices, and decisions.

2. Can we control external factors that affect our lives?

No, we cannot control external factors such as other people's actions, natural disasters, or unexpected events. However, we can control how we respond to these external factors.

3. How does having control over our lives impact our well-being?

Having control over our lives can positively impact our well-being as it gives us a sense of empowerment and the ability to make choices that align with our values and goals.

4. Are there any limitations to our control?

There are certain limitations to our control, such as our genetic predispositions, societal and cultural influences, and the laws of nature. However, we still have the ability to adapt and make the best of these limitations.

5. How can we improve our sense of control over our lives?

We can improve our sense of control by setting realistic goals, practicing self-awareness, and developing problem-solving skills. It is also important to focus on the things we can control and let go of things we cannot control.