What Do Smart Phones (Partially) Replace?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: A way to keep you busy while you ignore your family to read PF posts.70. A place to store all those PF posts.71. A reminder to back up your phone.72. A way to remember to charge your phone.73. A portable phone charger.74. A way to track your steps/calories burned.75. A virtual reality headset.76. A way to order food for delivery.77. A wallet tracker.78. A car key/remote.79. A guitar tuner.80. A metronome.81. A way to play white noise for better sleep.82. A guitar amp/effects simulator.83. A portable movie/TV streaming device.84. A way
jedishrfu said:
A spy satellite or aerial archeologist via google maps app.
That requires access codes (?)
jedishrfu said:
A roving secret camera via google street view.
It won't be live

Also, how about ISS and NASA apps ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stavros Kiri said:
That requires access codes (?)

It won't be live

Also, how about ISS and NASA apps ...

Nobody said it has to be live. Google maps sometimes shows some embarrassing stuff that doesn’t get blurred out and the same goes for street view

The photos come from satellites and are released to the public and presented to us by google.

Likes Stavros Kiri
jedishrfu said:
Nobody said it has to be live. Google maps sometimes shows some embarrassing stuff that doesn’t blurred out. And the same goes for street view

The photos come from satellites and are released to the public and presented to us by google.
But in that sense these apps are already there (via Google maps and Street view). There's also live camera apps and sites, for selected cameras and locations around the globe, accessible with your phone (or computer).

Stavros Kiri said:
But in that sense these apps are already there (via Google maps and Street view). There's also live camera apps and sites, for selected cameras and locations around the globe, accessible with your phone (or computer).

This is true but we see it on our phones. It’s like the tricorder of Star Trek, a somewhat improbable device, but our phones with the help of other devices and web sites on the internet can approximate its capability but in a different way. It could detect nearby life forms whereas the phone thru networking and gps can detect other phone users nearby.

Mr. Spock would roll over in his grave for one of our modern smartphones.

Likes Stavros Kiri and jedishrfu
anorlunda said:

I tend to believe that what we saw on tv was limited to our ability to comprehend and that the devices of Star Trek would be totally beyond our comprehension now.

My smartphone developed a new capability on Monday - brick!

Likes anorlunda, russ_watters and jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
My smartphone developed a new capability on Monday - brick!

And if thrown, a flying brick.

jedishrfu said:
Nobody said it has to be live. Google maps sometimes shows some embarrassing stuff that doesn’t get blurred out and the same goes for street view

But only for public accessed areas. No private areas or properties (e.g. in street view), and even the satelite images are not clear, especially for such areas (e.g. including back yards etc.).
anorlunda said:
He'd probably be reaching for his communicator and tricorder to compare and to make sure he has both with him! :biggrin::-p (in the grave) ...

More: 1. Scanner Radio (as an app) [includes UHF/VHF radio etc.] 2. Microphone (as an app) [and voice amplifier].

I thought Mr. Spock still had to be born. Perhaps he will roll over in his cradle?

65📲🚗🔐🔓 Control the car and rotating its engine

I didn't see this application on the list of 200, but maybe it's been mentioned since we crossed that goal line.

Recently the EMS company that I work for started using the app "When I Work" to do scheduling and as a time clock to clock-in and clock-out of shifts. It even uses the GPS feature of your phone to make sure you are in the right location to start your shift. That usually works okay, unless you are in a remote location where GPS is shadowed, or there is limited cell phone coverage...

Replaces:

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu and Stavros Kiri
Post #154 represents a misuse of technology that is not yet sufficiently developed.

Likes jedishrfu
Other ones:
1) Signal jam detector (app)
2) Mutual [authorised] location [detection] (via GPS) for groups of people (apps)

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda and jedishrfu
Bluetooth enabled card skimmers at gas stations.

• Wow
Likes Stavros Kiri and berkeman
Stavros Kiri said:
2) Mutual [authorised] location [detection] (via GPS) for groups of people (apps)

The word authorized makes me smile. What allows authorized uses and disallows unauthorized ones?

I think Chinese officials in Hong Kong today would authorize themselves to collect the ID of all phones in the vicinity of protests.

I read of crooks in Europe who tracked the location of encrypted signals (phones? radios?) used by police. They didn't need to decrypt, just to detect the signals and locations. They used that to get advanced notice of police raids. I guess the trackers were authorized by the cartel bosses.

Likes Stavros Kiri and berkeman
anorlunda said:
The word authorized makes me smile. What allows authorized uses and disallows unauthorized ones?
In this case I meant mutual authorization among the users (of the app), in the group
("I authorize you [or basically the app (to convey that information to you)] to track my location [via the GPS based app], and vice versa"). In other words WE give authorizations and approvals to who we allow to track us [in a group] ... , and make requests to who we want to track ...
(Useful e.g. in tourist groups, or even best for families [e.g. for the protection of kids, etc.] ...)Another useful category of [GPS based] apps: ~ "Safe & Sound" (in case of emergency, you alarm [or being alarmed], being tracked and helped thereafter ...).
[This works for single individuals as well as for groups ...]

smartphone is more useful, if to use it only for wi-fi. Then less cheating on you like spying & viruses + prolonged life for battery. :)

I would've never thought of this one: Welding helmet.

• Informative
Likes I like Serena, Stavros Kiri, anorlunda and 3 others
jack action said:
Is there ever any damage to the camera sensor? I guess the user keeps it all on the move which is the equivalent of a screen saver at the other end.
I have an old iPhone and I could try it It could be better than my automatic welding helmet which needs very strong lighting to allow me to see details before the arc is struck. Otoh, the phone system seems to wash out around the brightest parts of the arc. It could all be down to my eyes rather than the system.
Lovely bit of ingenuity though.

jack action said:

Isn't this basically use of the camera? (i.e. in that sense already covered ... (?) )

Not just the same. It uses the compression of the contrast ratio of the camera system as eye protection so I would say it's a significant addition to the applications. There are a lot more tenuous suggestions further up the thread.

Likes Klystron, Stavros Kiri, anorlunda and 2 others
sophiecentaur said:
Not just the same. It uses the compression of the contrast ratio of the camera system as eye protection so I would say it's a significant addition to the applications. There are a lot more tenuous suggestions further up the thread.
I get you mean. Agreed

Likes sophiecentaur
Stavros Kiri said:
Isn't this basically use of the camera?
Yes but the size and shape also contribute. I think it's very clever.

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
Yes but the size and shape also contribute. I think it's very clever.
True, however as camera alone there can be dosens (if not more) individual, more specialized uses. Are we to count all these separately, as new numbers in the list, or just 'camera, [+video, etc.]'? That's the real question. E.g. one more smart one (if not included already - is it? - I do not recall at the moment): "surveillance camera (e.g. for home, garage etc.) [near control or even remote via e.g. Skype or remote use functions of the phone etc. ...]"

Stavros Kiri said:
Are we to count all these separately, as new numbers in the list, or just 'camera, [+video, etc.]'?
I think you may be giving this question an over-rigorous PF-type treatment. It is only a bit of fun so don't get too worked up about it. If you want really good, endless entertainment with a topic you can really get your teeth into, just follow the aeroplane lift discussions.

Likes anorlunda
sophiecentaur said:
I think you may be giving this question an over-rigorous PF-type treatment. It is only a bit of fun so don't get too worked up about it. If you want really good, endless entertainment with a topic you can really get your teeth into, just follow the aeroplane lift discussions.
What kind of a peply is that?! (and also endorsed with a like by the OP, who also happens to be a mentor ! ... ...)

Watch for a minute what you're saying:
"I think you may be giving this question an over-rigorous PF-type treatment."
We're always supposed to be doing this on PF, aren't we? (otherwise we're going to e.g. have mentors come after us ...) This is engineering forum, not e.g. general discussion forum (but even there they demand within topic accuracy etc. - they even can remove jokes on a jokes thread, for god shake), and the rules for the topic SET by the OP said not to double count, for example (etc.) ...
I think I'm just trying to be consistent, that's all, I'm not just trying to play here! ...

"It is only a bit of fun so don't get too worked up about it. If you want really good, endless entertainment with a topic you can really get your teeth into, just follow the aeroplane lift discussions."
What am I being "accused for"? For being rigorous or for wanting to have fun?! I THINK YOU'RE BEING CONTRADICTORY yourself.
And what are you suggesting exactly?! I don't understand! And what does the "aeroplane lift discussions" have to do with it?! (possible interpretation: that you're being sarcastic. Are you?)
Or is it "being rigorous" a way of having fun? (It could be, I do not object, but that's not the point or my point here, which is staying and being consistent [and PF consistent] with the rest of the thread and topic and rules set by the OP himself etc.)

My reply (this one) is friendly of course (i.e. I am not irritated or offended in any way), but instead somebody could have better answered my initial question instead, which was perfectly on topic! (and had subquestions in it). That's PF rules.

Last edited:
I agree with @sophiecentaur . We have no rigorous definitions in this thread. It is mostly just fun.

Perhaps this topic should have been under general discussions, but it's late for that now.

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
I agree with @sophiecentaur . We have no rigorous definitions in this thread. It is mostly just fun.

Perhaps this topic should have been under general discussions, but it's late for that now.
I think the topic is fitting well here, as smartphones are important tools by now, everywhere ...

Stavros Kiri said:
I think the topic is fitting well here, as smartphones are important tools by now, everywhere ...
Hammers are important tools, too and the Physics of hammers is actually very absorbing - and good Physics. Things that you can use hammers for has a bit of mileage - momentum, kinetic energy and levers. But hitting blue nails or red nails would have limited appeal and would probably not take 179+ Posts. 😉
No one should get upset about a small fun-poke here.

sophiecentaur said:
Hammers are important tools, too and the Physics of hammers is actually very absorbing - and good Physics. Things that you can use hammers for has a bit of mileage - momentum, kinetic energy and levers. But hitting blue nails or red nails would have limited appeal and would probably not take 179+ Posts. 😉
No one should get upset about a small fun-poke here.
Welding helmets do have more appeal though, and I liked that idea too (truly brilliant, innovative and useful), as already agreed.
Not upset. Of course. :smile:

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
I get you mean. Agreed
Correction (typo): "I get what you mean. Agreed"

sophiecentaur said:
Using that same smart idea I used my phone as protection etc. to view the recent solar eclipse. So, here's one more: Solar [Eclipse] Glasses ...
[It worked + taking pictures too ...]

Likes sophiecentaur