What do i need to know to write browser addons?

In summary, the person is thinking about writing a browser add-on and wants to learn more about programming and web design. They should check out some resources, such as the source code of some browser add-ons, and join in on the community if they want.
DryRun
Gold Member
Hello,

I've been thinking about writing a Chrome or Firefox (preferably both) browser add-on that would initially make things easier for me (i have some ideas and things that i'd like to implement for some sites) and hopefully i'll be able to help others if I'm able to publish my work on the respective online stores.

My background: I've learned about C programming in my Bachelor Engineering course and dabbled a little into C++ but that's about it. I've been looking for advice from web developers or browser add-on developers who might be able to recommend the learning path that i should take. From my research, it seems to me that the next step would be to learn JavaScript and Web Design? Is that correct? Or should i learn some intermediary programming language in order to ease my transition to the harder coding languages? What are some good online resources/sites or books that i could start exploring/reading? I'm really just trying to figure out the best approach instead of just dropping by a bookstore and picking up books without really knowing the proper path to build my knowledge so that i don't end up hitting a wall eventually while writing or trying to improve my browser add-on.

Any help, guidance and recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I am sure that firefox has an active developer community, public forums etc, that operates mainly within the open source environment.
Chrome also to some lesser extent.
You should look those up and join in if you want, I can't give links right now, I am about done for today.
If for some reason you can't find them, then post back, I'll see if I can help.

Related to What do i need to know to write browser addons?

What programming languages do I need to know to write browser addons?

To write browser addons, you will need to have a good understanding of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. These are the core languages used to create web content and are essential for creating browser addons.

Do I need to know any specific frameworks or libraries to write browser addons?

While knowing frameworks and libraries can be helpful, they are not a requirement for writing browser addons. However, some popular frameworks and libraries used for creating browser addons include jQuery, React, and Angular.

Do I need to have previous experience in web development to write browser addons?

No, you do not need previous experience in web development to write browser addons. However, having a basic understanding of web development concepts and languages will make it easier to learn and create browser addons.

Are there any specific tools or software needed to write browser addons?

To write browser addons, you will need a text editor or an integrated development environment (IDE). Some popular options include Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, and Atom. Additionally, you may need a web browser and its developer tools for testing and debugging your addon.

Where can I find resources and tutorials to help me learn how to write browser addons?

There are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to write browser addons. Some popular websites include Mozilla Developer Network, Chrome Developers, and W3Schools. You can also find helpful videos and courses on platforms like YouTube and Udemy.