What Distinguishes Thai Cuisine in Flavor Complexity?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Type
In summary: I think the best food I've ever had was Thai, followed by Mexican, then Italian. And I've had a lot of good food in each of those countries. In summary, I'd say Thai food has a lot of different flavors that can be combined to create amazing meals. Mexican food is second, and has a lot of flavors that are similar to Thai food. Italian food is a close third, and I love the variety of dishes that are available. Lastly, English is not on the list because I haven't had anything that I've loved as much as the other two.

Which type of food is the best?

• Italian

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Thai

• Greek

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mexican

• Chinese

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • American

• French

• Spanish

• Indian

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Polish

• Vietnamese

• Other (post it)

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Indian, but English Indian, preferably from a northern city. The Europeans just don't seem able to do improper Indian food properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
Chicken Tika Masala - classic English dish.
You are kidding right? :wink:

Chicken tikka masala is an Indian dish brought to UK by Indians. "Masala" is a Hindi word for spice.

Reshma said:
You are kidding right? :wink:

Chicken tikka masala is an Indian dish brought to UK by Indians. "Masala" is a Hindi word for spice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala#Origins
The origins of chicken tikka masala are disputed. A widely reported explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in a British Bangladeshi[1][3] restaurant at Glasgow in the late 1960s, when a customer, who found the traditional chicken tikka too dry, asked for some gravy.[2] The chef supposedly improvised a sauce from tomato soup, yogurt and spices.[1]

At least one source contends that the dish originated in Delhi in 1947.[4][5]

lisab said:
At this point in our poll, Italian food is winning. But keep in mind that for our Italian members, Italian food isn't called ethnic food -- it's just called "food."

This is true of every item on the list.

What about poutine?

George Jones said:
What about poutine?

I'm having keema mutter with roti for supper, but I still can't decide how to vote.

I'm a big fan of Portuguese food.
Mexican comes in a close second along with Japanese and Korean.

It was a close call between Greek and American for me, but I went with Greek because it's more of a treat.

This was tough because San Diego is right smack dab next to Mexico, so we get a plethora of Mex food here. But at the same time I'm Indian so my love for Indian food knows no bounds. I voted Indian as a result, but I have to say, it's a 3 way tie between it and Mex and Thai.

Love all 3.

Italian comes 2nd, Greek - 3rd.

I haven't had enough Greek food to vote fairly, but when I was in college, freshman were required to live in dorms. My roommate was the son of a Greek fisherman ported out of southern Maine and when I went home with him for a weekend, his father took over chef-duties cooking the entrees for both evening meals. Other family members made parts of the meals, but he made the main courses. For years afterward, I kept trying calamari in various restaurants hoping that it would be as good as his. Nope. I don't know his secret, either. The salads and side dishes were wonderful, too. No wonder Tom came to school a little on the pudgy side.

I had a wonderful salad (best ever) when I was in France: delicate dressing over garden fresh vegetables, balanced with various cheeses and cured meats. If I knew the specific ingredients, I wouldn't be typing this, I'd be a millionaire in the French Mistral region.

would have voted indian but i am indian so technically not ethnic for me but voted mexican as you can't beat it!

Colombian. Love the potato soups...

wildman said:
Colombian. Love the potato soups...

Wow, I have never heard of this. Looked it up, is this about what you're thinking...

http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipebox/recipes/167.htm

That looks great!

I'll wait for the temps to drop below 80F to make this...a bit too hot for soup now :sweat: (there's no sweat smilie but you get the point :smile:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I'm surprised the Spaniards get such little respect. They make some of the best wines, olive oils, and meats in the world.

gravenewworld said:
Wow I'm surprised the Spaniards get such little respect. They make some of the best wines, olive oils, and meats in the world.
Spain may have the most beautiful land in Europe. I just love their gazpacho - right on for the climate.

West Indian is my favourite: jerk chicken, goat curry, doubles, philorie balls, salt fish, on and on

gravenewworld said:

Well, they got my vote. Paella! :!) Along with the Italians and the Greeks they make the best food in my opinion. (But Greek wines are horrible!)

I'm surprised the Chinese are way up there - tastes all the same to me.

And Mexican? All this stuff consists of is beans, rice, cheese, and tortillas. Add more beans. And then there is "Menudo." :bugeye:

Back