What Direction is C? Apply the Right Hand Rule

Vectors A and B are perpendicular to each other, so the cross product will be in the direction of my thumb, which is east. Therefore, C is in the east direction.
Tiven white

Homework Statement

If C = A × B, A points up, and B points south, which direction is C?
Select one:
a. west
b. up
c. north
d. down
e. east

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the right hand rule and got east as the solution could i have a little verification with this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiven white said:

Homework Statement

Select one:
a. west
b. up
c. north
d. down
e. east

Homework Equations

i used the right hand rule and got east as the solution could i have a little verification with this answer?

I agree with East :smile:

Tiven white said:

Homework Statement

Select one:
a. west
b. up
c. north
d. down
e. east

Homework Equations

Sounds ok.

My thumb is pointing east.

Yes, your answer is correct. Using the right hand rule, place your right hand so that your fingers point in the direction of A (up) and then curl your fingers towards the direction of B (south). Your thumb will then point in the direction of C, which is east. This is because the cross product (A x B) gives a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B, and in this case, it is in the east direction.

Related to What Direction is C? Apply the Right Hand Rule

What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a visualization technique used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of various quantities, such as magnetic fields, electric currents, and forces, in a three-dimensional space.

How do you apply the Right Hand Rule?

To apply the Right Hand Rule, you need to first extend your right hand and then orient your fingers in the direction of one quantity (e.g. magnetic field). Then, you need to curl your fingers towards the direction of the other quantity (e.g. electric current). Your thumb will then point in the direction of the resulting third quantity (e.g. force).

What is the purpose of using the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule allows us to easily determine the direction of various quantities in a three-dimensional space. This can be helpful in understanding and visualizing complex physical systems and phenomena.

Is the Right Hand Rule always applicable?

The Right Hand Rule is only applicable to certain physical quantities, such as magnetic fields, electric currents, and forces. It cannot be used for all types of quantities or situations.

What is the difference between the Right Hand Rule and the Left Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule and the Left Hand Rule are essentially the same technique, but they are used for different quantities. The Right Hand Rule is used for quantities that follow a clockwise rotation, while the Left Hand Rule is used for quantities that follow a counterclockwise rotation.