What did your School Reports say?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speakers' experiences with their old school reports. While some teachers praised their academic abilities, they also mentioned their tendencies to get easily distracted and their disruptive behavior in class. The speakers reflect on how their behavior and learning styles were perceived by teachers, and how their school reports may not accurately represent who they are as students. They also discuss the different teaching styles and academic environments they have experienced in different countries. Ultimately, they emphasize the importance of learning and gaining life experiences rather than simply chasing after good grades.
hbk4894
just going through my old school reports card and just seeing what old school teachers had said about me - most of them really said i got too easily distracted and others said i could have done better.

so what about yours , were you overall a good student or did some teachers dislike you for what ever reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there is no such thing as reports from any of the schools I've been, but if there had been they would have said: "Very good computer technician."

I think I spent most of my time since middle school fixing computers and programming for the teachers. After all the curriculum of public schools here is very crappy and easy. (Which is bad because you don't learn)

One teacher did dislike me. But in the end we ended up running together 3 miles every morning and going to the theater together. Oh, another professor who was a martial artist disliked me as well. But when he learned I practiced boxing we ended up having quite interesting conversations.

Hell, I couldn't even escape the principal. She said that she loved me like the child she could never have and would put her hand on my shoulder whenever she got the chance. (Which was awkward, but what could I do other than let her)

If there were to be reports about how I was as a student they would all be lies. They don't know me as a student. They assessed me by what I could do in society, not grades. Only reason my grades were perfect was because the material was crappy. If I were to be in a private school, my grades would have been much lower, I wouldn't have had the time to do everything I did, and I would have learned better (which could be saving me a lot of headaches right now at uni).

A few years ago I received a box from my mother that had a lot of my baby stuff in it: baby book, elementary school projects, and other random stuff from when I was really young. I went through it one afternoon and found my "report cards" from grades 1-5. The grading system was a bit weird, in that I wasn't assigned A, B, C, etc. There were letters O, S, N: Outstanding, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement. Math, Science and English scores were mostly O's, with a few S's here and there.

However, I looked at the behavioral section and saw a lot of N's. oo)

In the comments section at the bottom of the report card, almost every teacher made mention of my propensity to distract others after I'd finished an assignment. When I spoke with my mom about it, she said she'd had quite a few parent-teacher conferences about my behavior. Most of them said I'd finish an assignment early, get bored, and then begin distracting others with whatever I ended up doing.

My favourite comment from my elementary school report cards: "She has extensive knowledge that she wants to share with us. However, she has a hard time waiting for her turn to do so." That's sort of still true 15 years later.

Likes edward
"He needs to follow directions better - specifically, when sent to the corner for distracting the class, he needs to be quiet and face the corner instead of distracting the class from his chair in the corner!"

"He needs to show respect for others - above all, he needs to stop calling me names!"

"He needs to learn how to use his "indoor" voice." (On the other hand, I was always chosen to be the narrator for all class plays and skits.)

"He needs to improve his class participation - he tends to get distracted by minor points, barely related to what we're doing, and mentally chases those points off into some far away world and never returns."

By time I was 11, I quit misbehaving and barely ever said anything in class. I have to admit my tendency to go off on tangential issues and to forget what our class was actually studying never really stopped. On the other hand, I've always been very good at trivia. If it's pointless knowledge, I probably remember it. If it's important knowledge, meh, I might remember it.

"Needs to stop looking out of the window."
French classes were boring.

These are all paraphrased(not originally written in English), from my high school reports.
"Brilliant, but lazy." - physics teacher
"Self-centered. Although highly capable, unfortunately, lazy" - English teacher
"Understands the subject, makes no effort to present his work, seems distracted." - maths teacher

Don't personally know about the "brilliant" part, but lazy, oh yes.

When I went to kindergarten and first year in primary school in Chch, NZ, I think what remained of my teachers feedback commented on the creativity of my writings. drawings, and woodwork. I have absolutely no memory of what I've done though.
When I went to primary/elementary school in Taiwan the comments are mostly about how careless I was in tests.
My first years in Akl, NZ, I went to an intermediate school, the comments were mostly xenophobic rants that didn't even make sense
My high school school reports were mostly commenting about my good grades and quietness.
Now I want to know my supervisors will say when people contact them as my references :nb)

I don't remember details about academic comments, but I do remember at least two teachers commented on my athletic abilities. I was one of those kids who did things like cherry-drops off the high bar.

hbk4894 said:
just going through my old school reports card and just seeing what old school teachers had said about me - most of them really said i got too easily distracted and others said i could have done better.

so what about yours , were you overall a good student or did some teachers dislike you for what ever reason.
Getting distracted of things is not bad at all to me. I am proud to be that type of 'person'. I think wherever we live, there would always be some fixed ideas and prejudices to constrain or shape our mind. Changing can either be
  • for the better (i.e education, job, social benefits, etc.)
  • for learning purposes and life experience
    All lifeforms need i.e mutual interaction to equip themselves with greater adaptability as well as essential social skills or behaviors.
You can therefore choose to go with either "broad" or "deep" but you have to be sure that all things learned today are easily forgotten tomorrow. Being with "broad", you will be less restrained by hypocrites or pathological liars while being with "deep", you will have less chances to air your opinions diversely and correctly. It seems to me that the latter also imposes a greater social pressure over your own appearance and public behaviors. As a fan of the former, I find myself at ease in most of the job interviews for the position whose job content I used to work with in previous companies. Most of my interviewers are faithful to their companies and are those who have been working there for over 8-10 years. I think this depends on the countries (i.e economic structure, market saturation and pricing,...) but in mine, most of those managers are skillful of their word use but are seriously bad of their own technical development which is an effect due to their loyalty.
There was no teacher that really hated me, but only misunderstood or totally just didn't understand me. But I guess the reverse might be truer that I didn't understand them at all. I think I used to be bullied by some but it was my fault to not be able to have a good 'adaptation'. My performance was just all bad, which failed me miserably from what I was deserved to have. I should have learned that being commented as "average" is the worst insult ever. How stupid I ever was. Beside all of that, I don't find a single reason as to why a teacher should dislike any of his students even the student might scratch his newly bought car, break its window or even call him an arse-hole online. Yet a student needs to understand that standing in front of a class with naughty, lazy, disrespectful college kids asks a teacher to have a great psychological forbearance.

My marks were usually good, but I distinctly remember being referred to as "slow" and "a daydreamer" by almost all of my primary/middle school teachers. Finally got diagnosed with a slight learning disability in high school. Now I'm an astrophysicist :)

LOL "Underachiever." The military and discipline will cure that.

HS student here.

The majority of people in this thread sound exactly like me: easily distracted, very capable, "lazy." If I was including teachers' opinions of me, "disrespectful" would be in there too, but I don't exactly agree with that.

I think I'm pretty self-aware compared to my classmates, although it's always possible that someone else would be able to more accurately describe me.

In 8th grade my grades where the worst of the hole 8th grade. I was in a german school system (hell :) ) and you get grades on speaking, they literally force you to speak or you get in serius trouble grade wise. But my maths and physics teacher and philosopher teachers thought I should go to uni at the time. I think I had 7 F's at half term and at the end of the term I only had one F. I never did school work I was just playing on my graphic calculator or doing maths. The boring days, easy stuff...

Last edited:
My school report cards from primary school weren't too great (I got restless because I found the material too easy). In secondary school (6th to 12th grade for Americans) I could only be there because of my academic scholarship and so I worked my ass off, making my reports look significantly better. Some teachers did dislike me, mostly because I was really mouthy and would publicly challenge them, but in my last couple of years there I got quite close to some of the teachers who took my classes and I'm still on good terms with them now.

Related to What did your School Reports say?

What did your School Reports say?

1. What grades did you get on your school reports?

My school reports showed that I consistently received high marks in all subjects, particularly in science and math.

2. Did your school reports mention any areas for improvement?

Yes, my school reports always included constructive feedback from teachers on how I could improve in certain subjects or skills.

3. Were you involved in any extracurricular activities during your school years?

Yes, I was involved in various extracurricular activities such as science club, debate team, and volunteering in community service projects. These activities were also mentioned in my school reports.

4. Did your school reports highlight any particular strengths or weaknesses?

Yes, my school reports often highlighted my strengths in critical thinking, problem-solving, and leadership, while also acknowledging areas where I could improve, such as time management and organization.

5. How did your school reports impact your academic and career choices?

My school reports served as a tool for self-reflection and helped me identify my strengths and weaknesses. They also provided valuable insight for my teachers and parents to guide me towards academic and career paths that aligned with my abilities and interests.