What Determines the Sign of Lambda in Separation of Variables?

In summary, the sign of \lambda should be determined based on the specific problem and boundary/initial conditions.
AStaunton
Just quick question about sep of variables..

say have function U(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)

when do separation of variables end up with some generic case that looks like:

X''/X=Y'/Y=lamda

my question is (and I think I know now the answer but would like confirmation), is what sign should the lamda be set to to make the problem easiest to solve...

And I think that it is down to which of the two, either X or Y that are going to give us the eigenvalues...
if X gives eigen values, then set lamda to the sign that allows the X differential equation easiest to solve and vise versa if Y ODE gives eigenvalues...

I'm just looking for a rule of thumb here or any tips anyone has..Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The sign of [tex]\lambda[/tex] usually depends on initial or boundary conditions. For example, we can consider solutions to

[tex]\frac{X''}{X} = \lambda.[/tex]

When [tex]\lambda>0[/tex], our solutions are real exponential functions [tex]e^{\pm\sqrt{\lambda} x[/tex]. It is impossible to satisfy the boundary conditions [tex]X(0)=X(a)=0[/tex] with a linear combination of these solutions.

However, if [tex]\lambda<0[/tex], we find periodic solutions [tex]e^{\pm i\sqrt{\lambda} x[/tex] (equivalent to sin and cos) for which there is a linear combination that satisfies [tex]X(0)=X(a)=0[/tex].

Therefore, you will generally need to consider the full range of parameters and decide which classes of solutions are permissible given the boundary or initial conditions.

Related to What Determines the Sign of Lambda in Separation of Variables?

1. What is the concept of separation of variables in PDEs?

The concept of separation of variables in PDEs involves breaking down a partial differential equation (PDE) into simpler equations, each involving only one variable. This allows for a step-by-step approach to solving the PDE, by first solving each simpler equation and then combining the solutions to obtain the complete solution.

2. How do you determine the separation constant in PDEs?

The separation constant in PDEs is determined by equating the separated equations to each other and solving for the constant. This constant is usually represented by a Greek letter (such as λ or α) and is chosen based on the boundary conditions of the PDE problem.

3. What are the necessary conditions for using separation of variables in PDEs?

In order to use separation of variables in PDEs, the boundary conditions must be homogeneous (i.e. they must equal zero) and the PDE must be linear. Additionally, the variables must be separable, meaning that they can be written as a product of functions of each individual variable.

4. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs using separation of variables?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs using separation of variables include using Fourier series, Laplace transforms, and eigenfunction expansions. These techniques can be used to solve different types of PDEs, such as heat, wave, and Laplace equations.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of using separation of variables in PDEs?

The advantage of using separation of variables in PDEs is that it can simplify the solution process and make it more manageable. However, not all PDEs can be solved using this method, and even when it is possible, the solutions may not always be applicable to real-world problems due to the assumptions made in the separation process.