What Determines the Real and Imaginary Parts of a Complex Number?

In summary, a complex number consists of a real and imaginary part, where "a" represents the real part and "ib" represents the imaginary part. This representation is also known as the standard form of a complex number. The real and imaginary parts can also be thought of as the x and y components of a vector, with "a" being the number of "ones" and "b" being the number of "i's". Complex numbers can also be represented in polar form, but the standard form is the most common.
Sampad Saha
we know Complex number is consists of a real & imaginary number so if a+ib is a complex number which one is real part, imaginary part, real number and imaginary number?
I think "a" real and "ib" imaginary part...pleasez help me if Iam wrong ...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sampad Saha said:
I think "a" real and "ib" imaginary part
As long as you have a and b real, a + ib is the standard representation of a complex number (and, of course, i is the imaginary unit with i2 = -1).

the real and imaginary parts of a complex number are like [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components of a vector.

The real part is the number of "ones" you have, and the imaginary part is the number if "i's" you have

Given a complex number [itex]a+bi[/itex]
[itex]a[/itex]is the real part
and
[itex]b[/itex] is the imaginary part

You have amount [itex]a[/itex] of "ones", and amount [itex]b[/itex] of "i's"

jfizzix said:
Given a complex number [itex]a+bi[/itex]
[itex]a[/itex]is the real part
and
[itex]b[/itex] is the imaginary part
It's a little confusing at first, but the real part and the so-called imaginary part b, are real numbers.

Just to add that, to be precise, Complex numbers can also be represented in polar form.

Related to What Determines the Real and Imaginary Parts of a Complex Number?

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

How do I add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 2i) = 6 + 5i.

How do I multiply or divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) as you would with binomials. To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

What is the complex conjugate?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. It is used in dividing complex numbers and also has properties that aid in simplifying expressions involving complex numbers.

How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to describe and analyze systems with both real and imaginary components, such as electrical circuits and mechanical vibrations.