What Determines the Radius of Convergence in Complex Power Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of convergence for a series using the ratio test. It is determined that the series will converge if |\theta| |z^{2n+1}| < 1 and this condition eventually leads to |z|<1. It is noted that for |z|>1, the series will not converge since the terms do not tend to 0.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4822/radiusm.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the ratio test:

[itex]\left | \frac{e^{i(n+1)^2 \theta} \theta^{n+1} z^{(n+1)^2}}{e^{in^2 \theta} \theta ^n z^{n^2}} \right |[/itex]

[itex]= | \theta ||e^{2n\theta i}||e^{i\theta}||z^{2n+1}|[/itex]

[itex]= | \theta ||e^{2n\theta i}||z^{2n+1}|[/itex]

since [itex]|e^{i\theta}|=1[/itex] whenever [itex]\theta\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]

I know the radius of convergence [itex]R=1[/itex] but how do I deduce this by finding the limit as [itex]n\to \infty[/itex] ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify a bit more since |e2nθi|=1 as well.

Hint: Let z = re. Then |zm| = |rmeimθ| = |rm||eimθ| = rm.

So you need [itex]|\theta| |z^{2n+1}| < 1[/itex] for the series to converge. This obviously holds if θ=0, so look at the case when θ≠0. Using the hint above, solve for |z| and then take the limit at n→∞.

How did you get
vela said:
So you need [itex]|\theta| |z^{2n+1}| < 1[/itex] for the series to converge.

to follow from your calculation in your hint?

For [itex]|z|>1[/itex] there's an easy reason why the series doesn't converge since the terms don't tend to 0.

Last edited:
No, you need to start from [itex]|\theta| |z^{2n+1}| < 1[/itex] and eventually get to |z|<1. What you wrote isn't the same nor is it true when the series converges (take, for example, when z=0).

Ted123 said:
How did you get

to follow from your calculation in your hint?
Sorry, it didn't follow from the hint. It was supposed to follow from what you said in your first post. It's the condition for convergence from the ratio test.
For [itex]|z|>1[/itex] there's an easy reason why the series doesn't converge since the terms don't tend to 0.

Related to What Determines the Radius of Convergence in Complex Power Series?

What is the definition of "Radius of Convergence"?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the distance from the center of a power series to the nearest point where the series converges.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the power series. If this limit is less than one, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is equal to the distance from the center to the nearest point of convergence.

What does the radius of convergence tell us about a power series?

The radius of convergence tells us how far from the center of a power series we can go before the series no longer converges. It also gives us information about the behavior of the series at points outside the radius, such as whether it converges or diverges.

Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it allows us to determine the convergence of a power series and its behavior at different points. This is crucial in many mathematical applications, such as in calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis.

Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite for some power series. This means that the series converges for all values of the variable, and there is no limit to how far from the center we can go. However, this is not always the case, and the radius of convergence can also be a finite value or even zero for certain series.