What determines light-matter interaction processes?

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the process of light-matter interaction, specifically photon-electron processes, is determined by QED. An inelastic process occurs when one or both of the particles involved changes its binding energy, such as an electron being in an external potential where it can exist in a bound state. The probability of inelastic scattering is determined by the S-matrix, which is influenced by QED and the external potential.
carllacan
Hi.

Sorry for the awkwardly phrased title, I couldn't think of anything better that summarizes my question.

I've been learning about different types light-matter interaction, specially photon- electron processes, and there's something I don't get: what determines whether this process will be elastic or inelastic?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I just saw that my title got cropped, and on top of that I made a typo. Would any admin be so kind as to change it to "What determines light-matter interaction processes?"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QED determines all light-matter interaction, in particular photon- electron processes. A process is inelastic whenever one or both of the particles involved changes its binding energy. The photon cannot, being always massless, but an electron can, if it is in an external potential where it can exist in a bound state. Thus excitation, deexcitation, capture, or emission of an electron in/by a molecule are inelastic processes.

Likes carllacan
Thanks for the answer. Just to get it clear:
A. Neumaier said:
an electron can, if it is in an external potential where it can exist in a bound state.

Do you mean an electron can undergo inelastic scattering in those conditions or that it will? If it doesn't happen every time those conditions are met, is the fraction of times it does happen determined by QED, or are there other factors?

carllacan said:
Thanks for the answer. Just to get it clear:Do you mean an electron can undergo inelastic scattering in those conditions or that it will? If it doesn't happen every time those conditions are met, is the fraction of times it does happen determined by QED, or are there other factors?
It does if and only if it actually changes its energy eigenstate. What actually happens is determined by the S-matrix (which is determined by QED together with the external potential specified). The squares of the absolute value of the appropriate S-matrix elements give the probabilities of the various possibilities for elastic and inelastic scattering.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and carllacan

Related to What determines light-matter interaction processes?

1. What is light-matter interaction?

Light-matter interaction refers to the way in which light (electromagnetic radiation) and matter (atoms, molecules, etc.) interact with each other, resulting in various physical processes such as absorption, emission, scattering, and reflection.

2. How does the type of matter affect light-matter interaction?

The type of matter, specifically the composition and structure of its atoms or molecules, can greatly affect light-matter interaction. Different materials have different energy levels and properties, which can influence the absorption and emission of light.

3. What determines the strength of light-matter interaction?

The strength of light-matter interaction is determined by factors such as the intensity and wavelength of the light, as well as the properties of the matter, including its composition, structure, and energy levels. In general, the stronger the light and the more closely it matches the energy levels of the matter, the stronger the interaction will be.

4. How do quantum mechanics play a role in light-matter interaction?

Quantum mechanics is essential in understanding light-matter interaction at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles (such as photons of light) and waves (such as electrons in matter) behave and interact with each other, providing a theoretical framework for understanding the underlying mechanisms of light-matter interaction processes.

5. What practical applications rely on understanding light-matter interaction?

Understanding light-matter interaction is crucial in many scientific fields, such as optics, materials science, and biophysics. It is the basis for technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and medical imaging devices, and also plays a role in fundamental research in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.