What degree is required for a biotech startup

• Programs
  • Thread starter Fluxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: It is a two-year program that starts after you finish your engineering degree. It costs money and is not free, but it is an excellent way to gain real-world experience and contacts.In summary, if you want to start a biotech company, you should obtain a masters degree in bioengineering or a related field, followed by a PhD if you want to have a better chance of starting a successful company.
Fluxy
I'm planning to obtain a bioengineering/bme masters degree for sure but I wasn't sure whether to pursue in a phd program afterwards if I want to startup a biotech company?
I know it's too generic but I'm interested in biosensors,synthetic biology, and health.
I currently have a physics/biophysics and applied math degree.

Masters-> work in industry -> startup?or
masters-> startup?
masters->phd->industry ->startup?
masters->phd->startup?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to start a company you need a viable idea. There's no degree requirement for that. But in order to develop that idea and understand what's out there you have a number of different routes... starting with those in your current list.

I don't think there's any "best" way to go about it. A good strategy though would be to get a master's degree and look for opportunities available at the time. If nothing presents itself, go back for the PhD. If you've still got nothing when that's done, get a job in the industry you want to be in if you can.

Business, finance, law. I have no idea why you think physics or engineering will help you get a startup running when a startup needs people who can navigate the financial and legal process.

chill_factor said:
Business, finance, law. I have no idea why you think physics or engineering will help you get a startup running when a startup needs people who can navigate the financial and legal process.
Maybe he thinks that knowing the actual product the company produces/generates/... is not completely irrelevant.

chill_factor said:

It's worth noting that the founders of the most successful tech companies that one can think of don't come from a business, finance or law background.

For example, consider the following:

(1) Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) -- a Harvard math major dropout

(2) Bill Gates (Microsoft) -- another Harvard math major dropout

(3) Elon Musk (PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla Motors) -- BS in physics at University of Pennsylvania, dropped out of PhD in applied physics at Stanford.

(4) Sergey Brin & Larry Page (Google) -- CS PhD students at Stanford.

And these are only the most famous examples. Countless tech startups are founded by people with deep technical expertises. In fact, I can't think of a single example of a lawyer founding a successful tech startup on his/her own, unless the said lawyer already has a tech background to begin with -- they may become CEO of said company after the company matures, but that's different.

With regards to the OP, I would concur with Choppy's excellent advice.

Fluxy said:
I'm planning to obtain a bioengineering/bme masters degree for sure but I wasn't sure whether to pursue in a phd program afterwards if I want to startup a biotech company?
<snip>

We (and others) are introducing "Entrepreneurship"-type degrees/certificates with the goal of providing STEM students this information. In my experience, biomedical engineering programs already have some of this built into their degree (here, we call it the 'design track'), but entrepreneurship programs are typically run out of the Business college. Expect to take a few business classes and possibly a law class.

NSF has been leading efforts as well, with something called the 'I-Corps' program:
http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/i-corps/

I have participated in this and it covers everything you are interested in.

Likes 1 person

Related to What degree is required for a biotech startup

1. What type of degree is typically required for a biotech startup?

The type of degree required for a biotech startup can vary depending on the specific focus of the company. However, a bachelor's degree in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry is often the minimum requirement. Some startups may also prefer candidates with a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, in a related field.

2. Can a degree in a non-science field be useful for a biotech startup?

While a degree in a scientific field is typically preferred for a biotech startup, there are certain non-science degrees that can also be useful. For example, a degree in business or marketing can be helpful for those interested in the business side of the startup, while a degree in computer science can be beneficial for those interested in bioinformatics.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree to start a biotech company?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree to start a biotech company. However, having a solid understanding of the scientific principles and techniques involved in biotechnology can greatly benefit the success of the startup. Many successful biotech entrepreneurs have a degree in a related field, but there are also examples of individuals without a degree who have successfully started biotech companies.

4. Are specific courses or majors required for a biotech startup?

There are no specific courses or majors that are required for a biotech startup. However, having a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and/or biochemistry is important. Courses in business, entrepreneurship, and innovation can also be beneficial for those interested in starting a biotech company.

5. Do I need a degree in order to work for a biotech startup?

It depends on the specific position and company. Some roles may require a degree in a scientific field, while others may prioritize experience and skills over formal education. It is important to research the company and job requirements before applying to a biotech startup.