What creates the magnetic field in an individual atom?

In summary, magnets form from the spin and angular momentum alignments of electrons, but in an individual atom, the electrons' spins may not cancel each other out if there is an unpaired electron. This unpaired electron can cause a magnetic field in the atom. The orientation of this magnetic field is not set and can change under the influence of external magnetic fields. The pole model of magnetism is a mathematical shortcut and the real source of the magnetic field is the magnetic surface currents, which are the residual effect of aligned magnetic (electron) currents at the atomic level. These currents cancel each other out within the material, but create magnetic surface currents at the boundaries, resulting in the overall magnetic field.
Prannu
If a magnet is cut in half, it is still a magnet (dipole). If the magnet is continuously cut in half until it is only an atom, it still remains a magnet. My question is, what part of the atom generates the magnet field?

I understand that magnets form primarily from the spin and angular momentum alignments of electrons, but in an individual atom, don't the electrons' spins cancel each other out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prannu said:
If a magnet is cut in half, it is still a magnet (dipole). If the magnet is continuously cut in half until it is only an atom, it still remains a magnet. My question is, what part of the atom generates the magnet field?

I understand that magnets form primarily from the spin and angular momentum alignments of electrons, but in an individual atom, don't the electrons' spins cancel each other out?

Not if you have unpaired electrons! Count the number of electrons in each element of the periodic table, and fill in each orbital. Why would every single one of them have even number of electrons and have their spins cancel out?

Zz.

What parts of the atom would be the North/South pole then?

Prannu said:
What parts of the atom would be the North/South pole then?

Does this mean then that you have finally accepted and understood that an atom may have a magnetic moment?

Zz.

Well, sort of. So you're saying that even if one left over electron exists (without a spin partner), it's enough to cause a magnetic field in the atom?

Prannu said:
Well, sort of. So you're saying that even if one left over electron exists (without a spin partner), it's enough to cause a magnetic field in the atom?

Why don't you look up "electron paramagnetic resonance" or "electron spin resonance"?

Besides, where do you think magnetism in solids come from?

Zz.

I knew magnetism comes from the net sum of election spins, and orbital magnetic moments for all the atoms of the solid, but was wondering: if for a single atom, there is a non zero spin for the electrons, what orientation is the magnetic field in for the atom?

I will look up the terms you mentioned. Thank you for answering my original question.

Prannu said:
I knew magnetism comes from the net sum of election spins, and orbital magnetic moments for all the atoms of the solid, but was wondering: if for a single atom, there is a non zero spin for the electrons, what orientation is the magnetic field in for the atom?

The orientation isn't set. It can change, especially under the influence of external magnetic fields.

Suggestion to the OP is to look up magnetism in Griffith's E&M textbook where he discusses magnetic surface currents. He does it rather quickly and it is mixed in with some detailed calculations that include the calculation of a magnetic vector potential ## A ##. In any case, the magnetism in the materials is shown in the textbook to be a result of magnetic surface currents. The pole model of magnetism (with north and south poles) is actually a mathematical shortcut to the real source of the magnetic field which is the magnetic surface currents which are the residual effect of magnetic (electron) currents at the atomic level throughout the material that are aligned the same way (e.g. in the counterclockwise direction.) There is no net current at any point inside a uniformly magnetized material-essentially adjacent electron currents (i.e. of adjacent atoms in the material) cancel each other, but at the surface boundaries of the material there will be uncancelled currents. These magnetic surface currents are what creates the magnetic field of a permanent magnet both inside and outside of the material.

Last edited:

Related to What creates the magnetic field in an individual atom?

1. What is magnetism at the atomic level?

At the atomic level, magnetism is the result of the alignment and movement of electrons within an atom. This creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel other atoms or objects with magnetic properties.

2. How do atoms become magnetic?

Atoms become magnetic when their electrons align and spin in the same direction, creating a net magnetic moment. This can happen naturally in some elements or can be induced through the application of an external magnetic field.

3. What is the role of spin in magnetism at the atomic level?

Spin is a fundamental property of electrons and plays a crucial role in magnetism at the atomic level. The alignment and movement of electrons' spins determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by an atom.

4. How does temperature affect magnetism at the atomic level?

At higher temperatures, atoms have more thermal energy, causing their electrons to vibrate and move more. This disrupts the alignment and spin of electrons, weakening the overall magnetic field. At lower temperatures, atoms are more likely to maintain their alignment, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can magnetism at the atomic level be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic properties of atoms can be controlled through the application of an external magnetic field or by manipulating the electron spin through techniques such as spintronics. This has important applications in technologies such as data storage and medical imaging.